News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: Bread on November 13, 2021, 02:24:22 AM
Also, the Tyrannosaurus was released in 2014, so it definitely was more of a pop-culture reconstruction than it was scientific.

It doesn't matter if it was released in 2014. Using that as an excuse behind the design of an inaccurate model is not valid. And I'm well aware that not every model (or should I say company?) puts in the effort and / or are interested in offering collectors scientifically accurate models but if they, as avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek expressed, stated their models were based on actual science, then the critics they received are deserved. The latest Carnegie Tyrannosaurus was also released in 2014. The proportions may not be perfect, but from my perspective it's a noticeably better take on the animal than many of the models that were released after it.

Quote from: SidB on November 13, 2021, 01:35:41 PM
avatar_Bread @Bread , as regards your quite accurate "JP Tyrannosauruson steroids" comment, I'd have to say that if at the time Rebor had marketed it for what it actually was, the DTF reviews would have been a lot more favorable, I believe.

Completely agree here.

I would also say during this time, a lot of Rebor figures faced stability issues. If I recall correctly, the only figure to not have stability issues was the Yutyrannus.

To be honest, I don't think anyone can just blame any company for the bideps not standing. Should people ask for companies including anything to ensure / facilitate the stability of bipeds, that's a different story. For instance, PNSO opted to include those clear stands on their bipeds (and now also on marine creatures), which I think is a very smart decision, but some people, for some reason, dislike this. If the bipedal figure is sold alone, whether it stands or not is a complete lottery. I would dare to say, based on my experience, that the most likely thing is that, at some point, the figure simply won't stand. Just as an example, I have 7 Safari theropods and only 1 is able to stand on its own, and it's able to do that right now, I can't tell if it will face stability issues at some point. My Eofauna Giganotosaurus was fine for about a year, now it can't no longer stand. Companies will obviously always say that the stability on their models is fine, which is partially true, because when they design them, they ensure the prototype is able to stand. But when the models are finally released, whathever conditions and warping the figure may face, that's a different story. I wouldn't be very happy if I paid 80 USD for a GR Carcharodontosaurus for then having it unable to stand on its own. The Rebor Acrocanthosaurus has what could be called clown feet and still its stability isn't guaranteed, as you mention. And I have the new CollectA Megalosaurus, which has reasonably sized feet. In my case, my copy stands but just because mine does I can't go and say "This figure does stand". I have heard people complaint about this figure's stability as well (but of course this figure costs around 6 USD, so the frustration isn't perhaps as great heh heh).

Annoyingly, because of this reason, I have stopped getting that many theropod figures.

Bread

Quote from: Concavenator on November 15, 2021, 03:53:57 PM
Also, the Tyrannosaurus was released in 2014, so it definitely was more of a pop-culture reconstruction than it was scientific.

It doesn't matter if it was released in 2014. Using that as an excuse behind the design of an inaccurate model is not valid. And I'm well aware that not every model (or should I say company?) puts in the effort and / or are interested in offering collectors scientifically accurate models but if they, as avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek expressed, stated their models were based on actual science, then the critics they received are deserved. The latest Carnegie Tyrannosaurus was also released in 2014. The proportions may not be perfect, but from my perspective it's a noticeably better take on the animal than many of the models that were released after it.
I think you are misunderstanding my statement on the date. avatar_Lynx @Lynx ask when this figure was released and whether it was an acceptable design at the time. Plus I even agreed with avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek statement on Rebor advertising their models as scientific and museum quality being their downfall. Heck, if you scroll up further on this page, I even stated it before stargatedalek.
Quote from: Bread on November 12, 2021, 06:08:35 PM
Honestly this whole scientific and museum classification of the figure ruined it

Also, about the stability issues, it was an assessment on youtube reviews and comments read throughout the threads. I could honestly say there can be fault on companies dealing with stability issues for bipeds. I even stated that Rebor's Utahraptor had a rod in the leg to prevent stability but the figure still faced standing issues. The figure would slowly lean downwards, saw a lot of backlash on that, which is a shame because it is one of the best Utahraptors on the market.

Concavenator

I'm sorry avatar_Bread @Bread , I didn't read the whole conversation  :-[

And I didn't know their Utahraptor even had a rod to help it stand. You just reminded me that some CollectA figures with bases (mainly the older ones though) tend to sag to the sides. I can confirm this has been the case with my Lythronax.

Bread

Quote from: Concavenator on November 15, 2021, 04:18:28 PM
I'm sorry avatar_Bread @Bread , I didn't read the whole conversation  :-[

And I didn't know their Utahraptor even had a rod to help it stand. You just reminded me that some CollectA figures with bases (mainly the older ones though) tend to sag to the sides. I can confirm this has been the case with my Lythronax.
No need to apologize. This thread has had countless of misunderstandings as conversations have prolonged quite a bit. Trust me I have gotten lost in this thread often, makes me question if this needs to be locked.

Also, yeah exactly, CollectA have faced the same kind of criticism for their bases. Some have leaning issues even when they have a base. Resulting in negative reviews based on what I have seen on youtube and comments throughout threads. So I want to clarify that it isn't just rebor who faces issues like this followed by criticism.

Like you pointed out avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, clear rods have been a solution to PNSO and they seem to work well. Some companies may just need to resort to this or simple invent another idea/solution. Also, Rebor even went in this direction with their GnG rex, which worked very well for stability.

Over9K

On top of the Deinosuchus news, REBOR re-confirms the ongoing development of King Trident...

Carnoking

Would be a total missed opportunity to not release a triceratops alongside that rex!

Bread

A lot of Triceratops figures being released/produced as of lately. I am curious how this one would turn out. Also, strange how Rebor keep going back and forth with this idea of King Trident.

Faelrin

Tbh I don't have much faith in it (King Trident) being released, but well I've moved on from wanting it anyways.

That Deinosuchus I've been holding out hope for years now. Despite how much time it's been no one else has come forth to bless us with one. I'm guessing the colorations will be similar to the hatchlings but perhaps more subdued? Only nitpick I have is it shouldn't have claws on the fourth and fifth digits. I mean even extant crocodilians do not have them. I'm not too well kept on the rest of its anatomy so no idea if there's issues with the head or whatever, but eh it is fine enough for me now though considering the lack of options out there as is.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Bread

Quote from: Faelrin on December 03, 2021, 02:51:45 PM
I'm not too well kept on the rest of its anatomy so no idea if there's issues with the head or whatever, but eh it is fine enough for me now though considering the lack of options out there as is.
The scales could be slightly bigger. Again, Rebor had this issue with their Alligator, which has been fixed as of recently. Although I want to note that this is an assumption based on extant crocodilians.

Fembrogon

Mark Witton did a fairly thorough review of unique traits to Deinosuchus a few years ago. I don't know how much things might have changed since then.

Deinosuchus: the Dalek-backed alligatoroid that (sometimes) made chew toys of dinosaurs

stargatedalek

Wittons heavily downplays the raised nostrils at the tip of the skull, and the way the jaws narrow along their length. Though given he also cites an old skeletal as "a modern" reference I assume that post is itself just outdated.

suspsy

The osteoderms are totally off on that design; they ought to be larger, rounder, and more densely packed. They're a well-documented part of Deinosuchus' anatomy and an essential one, as they served as load-bearing reinforcement while the animal walked on land.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

By the way and sorry for interrupting. Is it known what material the deinosuchus will be made of? Will it be solid PVC? I would like the deinosuchus to be solid PVC rather than vinyl, it is a personal preference of mine. On the other hand, if Rebor were to launch it, it would be the first deinosuchus with an articulated jaw that I would have in my collection.

Abobo

SenSx

Thx for the pics!

Do we know the size of the beast  ?
I still wonder how big Saurophaganax really was.
I came across this that states it was overestimated, and was almost just a big Allosaurus:

https://www.deviantart.com/franoys/art/Allosaurus-Saurophaganax-maximus-skeletal-778663428

What are your thoughts ?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SenSx on December 14, 2021, 01:30:37 PM
Thx for the pics!

Do we know the size of the beast  ?
I still wonder how big Saurophaganax really was.
I came across this that states it was overestimated, and was almost just a big Allosaurus:

https://www.deviantart.com/franoys/art/Allosaurus-Saurophaganax-maximus-skeletal-778663428

What are your thoughts ?

I'm betting it will be about the same size as the V-Rex, Disney Carnotaurus, and Alien figures, all of their boxes are about the same size, seems a good bet.

Carnoking

Hm, I like it with that bendy tail.

Bread

I am curious to see this next to PNSO's Saurophaganax. Honestly it could be a pass since this genus is very debatable.

Lynx

I can not see the image, unfortunately. Hopefully, REBOR does learn from their mistakes though and releases another great figure!
An oversized house cat.

CARN0TAURUS

Are the arms posable?  It looks like they are up in one photo and down in the other.  maybe it's just an optical illusion.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: