News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mating Dinosaur Figures?

Started by suspsy, February 11, 2015, 08:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Triceratops83 and I were discussing in another thread the possibility of seeing a pair of dinosaur figures engaged in the act of mating. We agreed that CollectA, being the ballsiest company (no pun intended), would be the most likely to attempt such a thing. After all, they've already done disembowelled figures, figures devouring other figures, and even a figure giving birth. That said, I still think the likelihood is pretty darned slim. Western culture has a strange tendency to become more upset over sexual imagery than violent imagery. I'm pretty sure if CollectA or any other toy company released something similar to the images below, there'd be at least some very loud complaints.

What do you think?

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoLord

Given that most dinosaur figures are intended primarily for children I think we will never see something like this from one of the major companies.

Dobber

No interest for me. I always found those mating displays rather silly.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Takama

Expect some Loving couples for the line im commissioning Brandem to make.  We have a pair of Erectopus planed to be a matted couple, though they will not be depicted in coitus(Think of something like the Dilophosaurus pair from Sideshow)  I also toyed with the idea of commissioning  a model based the famous Mating T-Rex painting only having the individuals based on Stan and Sue.  Any supporters for that?

Sorry if this comes off as advertising

tanystropheus

stargatedalek

I feel like I probably suggested this before when the topic was broached but perhaps it would be nice to have two partners sold as a set in some sort of courtship ritual, something similar to grebes or peafowl. Another option is a pair of figures where one can be placed on the other in a way that could be interpreted as mating, but also as something else, say basking like pond turtles.

SBell

I wouldn't expect anyone to make one, ever, except as customs, models or commissions.

Because it's not like anyone has ever made a mating pair of any living animal--ever. No farm animals, not zoo animals, no insects, no birds. So if they wouldn't do those, it's doubtful they'd do prehistoric animals since the market is smaller for those than, say, horses.

stargatedalek

Strange that I seem to recall figures of modern animals mating, and not specialty commissions or even big name brands either, small scale cheapo gift shop filler brands. They were of  frogs I believe but they may have been of fish.

SBell

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 11, 2015, 10:17:09 PM
Strange that I seem to recall figures of modern animals mating, and not specialty commissions or even big name brands either, small scale cheapo gift shop filler brands. They were of  frogs I believe but they may have been of fish.

Possibly frogs in amplexus? Although I've never seen that.

Fish would be tougher, since most are external breeders.

suspsy

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 11, 2015, 09:45:18 PM
I feel like I probably suggested this before when the topic was broached but perhaps it would be nice to have two partners sold as a set in some sort of courtship ritual, something similar to grebes or peafowl. Another option is a pair of figures where one can be placed on the other in a way that could be interpreted as mating, but also as something else, say basking like pond turtles.

I like that idea. A theropod or an ornithopod rearing its head back to display an inflated throat pouch would be nifty.

tyrantqueen

Not something I would buy, to be honest.

Arul

Yep i think its not good for under age. But this is cool actually, like something new. i have an idea to take the photo of a mating figure with the same waterfall background for my entry in the contest last year and give it a title "heaven on earth"

Saurian

I do not think that collecta do it, it s all the same toys, this year collecta said that made t rex and acro for children to play with them,they also said the release JW movie,mating impossible on toys aimed at children primarily,i think it's a bad idea  :),better to make family life of dinosaurs, such as Maiasaura nest,baby Maiasaura and adult Maiasaura! 8)
Soory,my English is poor

sauroid

Quote from: SBell on February 11, 2015, 10:27:29 PM

Possibly frogs in amplexus? Although I've never seen that.

there's a possibility that any of the Japanese brands would make this
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

triceratops83

The main counter-argument against NOT producing this sort of figure would be that it is a staple in a lot of Dinosaur Documentaries. Prehistoric animals mate in most episodes of Walking With Whatever. It's as natural as a half eaten corpse figure.
Although I can see room for plenty of downside to this concept, namely people's various reactions to it, ranging from immaturity to offended. It's a pity folks have to apply their hang-ups to the natural world. Another BIG problem is that if sculpting allowed for a silly expression on the faces of the animals involved, it'd become a joke to everyone, even outdoing the Collecta Tsintaosaurus.
Stargatedalek has the best solution - animals in courtship rituals.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

suspsy

Human society certainly is weird that way. Children are allowed to play games like Call of Duty, or see movies where human beings are beaten, shot, dismembered, or blown up, but anything of a sexual nature tends to be condemned as immoral. Death and destruction triumph over life and love, alas!

Feathered dinosaurs would lend themselves really well to a mating ritual scene.

Arul

i agree with that ritual process, it must be beautiful  :) like male peacock showing his tail, dancing swan, or singing parasaurolophus. But i dont know i still cant imagine if a children handling a copulating dinosaur/animal figure, like the first pict 

triceratops83

Quote from: suspsy on February 12, 2015, 12:22:44 PM
Human society certainly is weird that way. Children are allowed to play games like Call of Duty, or see movies where human beings are beaten, shot, dismembered, or blown up, but anything of a sexual nature tends to be condemned as immoral. Death and destruction triumph over life and love, alas!
Sexual allusions in film or TV either went over my head as a child, or I was disinterested. I think most kids give it little thought. Also, it's not like the hypothetical figure involves PEOPLE, and animal interactions are on display in real life or on TV for all to see anyhow. I see your point though, we're more likely to get a figure of some poor dinosaur posed in agonising death throes amidst a pool of lava, or a mammoth sinking into tar while being eaten alive by Smilodons.

Quote from: suspsy on February 12, 2015, 12:22:44 PM
Feathered dinosaurs would lend themselves really well to a mating ritual scene.
Also crested animals such as Ceratopsians, Hadrosaurs and Theropods to show sexual dimorphism. The Sideshow Dilophosaurs did a good job with this. That's a good picture by the way, seems a very plausible display ritual.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Megalosaurus

Quote from: suspsy on February 11, 2015, 08:04:05 PM

The Collecta Deluxe TRex pose is based in that female. Is a point comented in the "Inspired by PaleoArt Thread".

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Megalosaurus on February 12, 2015, 05:05:00 PM
Quote from: suspsy on February 11, 2015, 08:04:05 PM

The Collecta Deluxe TRex pose is based in that female. Is a point comented in the "Inspired by PaleoArt Thread".

We had a discussion on this awhile back, we weren't a 100% sure it was base don that as we also have this:

That said if you wanted to use it for a mating pose..hey it's your figure.  lol

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: