News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Do you like Rare and Exclusive Figures?

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, February 27, 2015, 01:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Think it would be a solid selling gimmick to offer the set as a box set for the hard core collector, with a bonus extra dinosaur only availible in the boxed set, period. Imagine....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

John

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 27, 2015, 01:23:19 PM
Think it would be a solid selling gimmick to offer the set as a box set for the hard core collector, with a bonus extra dinosaur only availible in the boxed set, period. Imagine....
I have to say the idea of a potential new model being available only in a box set that not only would be expensive but would require getting duplicates of what I already have is a bad idea for those of us who aren't hardcore about getting every possible paint variant of every model.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: John on February 27, 2015, 04:26:45 PM
I have to say the idea of a potential new model being available only in a box set that not only would be expensive but would require getting duplicates of what I already have is a bad idea for those of us who aren't hardcore about getting every possible paint variant of every model.
And for many others, who never got the original set, it would be a fast, simple way to get the entire set, and get a bonus figure in addition. Enough time has passed that there are alot of collectors who would be starting from ground zero for this set.....the concept of rare exclusive more expensive figures is not unique to the hobby, when you consider Kaiyodo dinotales, favorites new limited offerings, etc.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Takama

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 27, 2015, 05:03:40 PM
And for many others, who never got the original set, it would be a fast, simple way to get the entire set, and get a bonus figure in addition. Enough time has passed that there are alot of collectors who would be starting from ground zero for this set.....the concept of rare exclusive more expensive figures is not unique to the hobby, when you consider Kaiyodo dinotales, favorites new limited offerings, etc.

If such a Special figure is ever made, i can only hope Dan would Alert us all to its exsistance so I don't buy whats already included in the set, (unless that special figure is another paint of one of the exsisting figures )

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Takama on February 27, 2015, 06:08:07 PM

If such a Special figure is ever made, i can only hope Dan would Alert us all to its exsistance so I don't buy whats already included in the set, (unless that special figure is another paint of one of the exsisting figures )
Why not a feathered version of the Tyrannosaurus or Utahraptor, rather than a repaint? Why not make it interesting? Or perhaps a sculpt of a new animal altogether , ala Yutyrannus or perhaps Dreadnoughtus

John

The prevalence of rare exclusive figures are in the hobby does not make me want to have to rebuy all of what I already have to be able to get to any potential new additions to the line.Sorry,but I still think it would be a bad idea.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

stargatedalek

Utahraptor is (assuming Battat gives the ok) going to be feathered for its release, and yutyrannus is already slotted for the Terra line.

I also agree I think that's a bad idea to have an exclusive like that, especially a feathered variant of utahraptor. Dan does his best to be in keeping with the scientific literature and to hold out on the updated model like that and release a basic recolour for the main release feels wrong.

Takama

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 27, 2015, 06:39:05 PM
Quote from: Takama on February 27, 2015, 06:08:07 PM

Why not a feathered version of the Tyrannosaurus or Utahraptor, rather than a repaint? Why not make it interesting? Or perhaps a sculpt of a new animal altogether , ala Yutyrannus or perhaps Dreadnoughtus

If it were a sculpt of a new animal, then Dan better notify what other Dinos will be avalible with it before i Buy it so i dont end up with the same figures. Case in point

Schelich has made a Velociraptor. and I bought it. However 4 years later, they make a box set that includes the same raptor plus a figure that's not avalible any where else

Now i cant get that one figure without getting a duplicate of the Raptor. If i would of known of this set ahead of time, i would not have bought the raptor in the first place

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 27, 2015, 07:23:17 PM
Utahraptor is (assuming Battat gives the ok) going to be feathered for its release, and yutyrannus is already slotted for the Terra line.

I also agree I think that's a bad idea to have an exclusive like that, especially a feathered variant of utahraptor. Dan does his best to be in keeping with the scientific literature and to hold out on the updated model like that and release a basic recolour for the main release feels wrong.
In all of this you are assuming that they will authorize resculpting the figure, which is hardly a given , considering other dinosaur makers reluctance to feather their theropods. If they do authorize the resculpt, then simply offer a different exclusive, it just is not that big of a deal really. For those wanting a boxed complete set and to be done with it, rather than scouring stores to find them all, it would be a great service. And for their cash outlay they get the reward of a bonus figure....simpler, and quite appealing for those that do not own the battat series currently

John

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 27, 2015, 07:54:11 PM
For those wanting a boxed complete set and to be done with it, rather than scouring stores to find them all, it would be a great service. And for their cash outlay they get the reward of a bonus figure....simpler, and quite appealing for those that do not own the battat series currently
...while giving a giant middle finger to those of us that do have that series currently?No thanks to that idea. :)
In all seriousness though,I wouldn't be surprised if box sets of the revised line did turn up,alongside individual releases.  :)

Now I wonder when they will be released? Off the top of my head,I would guess we'll see them turn up sometime in 2017 or so if there are revisions made,maybe somewhere in 2016 if not. :)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: John on February 27, 2015, 08:20:09 PM
For those wanting a boxed complete set and to be done with it, rather than scouring stores to find them all, it would be a great service. And for their cash outlay they get the reward of a bonus figure....simpler, and quite appealing for those that do not own the battat series currently
...while giving a giant middle finger to those of us that do have that series currently?No thanks to that idea. :)
In all seriousness though,I wouldn't be surprised if box sets of the revised line did turn up,alongside individual releases.  :)
Not really sure why it would be considered anything remotely resembling a middle finger..either buy the seperate ones you need to finish your set, or the entire box set and call it good....economics of marketing have always rewarded the larger cash outlay . It goes on all the time from DVD boxed sets to toys....and just is not that big of deal

Blade-of-the-Moon

Are we seriously getting upset over an idea that was proposed and totally unsubstantiated? I really hope not.

That said rare and exclusive pieces do help overall value and promote a collector atmosphere to a line. That is an established fact. Would Battat go that route? Hard to say.

loru1588

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 27, 2015, 08:38:09 PM
Are we seriously getting upset over an idea that was proposed and totally unsubstantiated? I really hope not.

That said rare and exclusive pieces do help overall value and promote a collector atmosphere to a line. That is an established fact. Would Battat go that route? Hard to say.

Thanks for being a voice of reason!!!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: loru1588 on February 27, 2015, 08:47:52 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 27, 2015, 08:38:09 PM

Thanks for being a voice of reason!!!

Quite welcome.

John

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 27, 2015, 08:25:52 PM
Quote from: John on February 27, 2015, 08:20:09 PM
Not really sure why it would be considered anything remotely resembling a middle finger..either buy the seperate ones you need to finish your set, or the entire box set and call it good....economics of marketing have always rewarded the larger cash outlay . It goes on all the time from DVD boxed sets to toys....and just is not that big of deal
I was joking around with the middle finger bit! I'm not upset about anything,just trying to get a laugh.
You can believe that I'm happy about the return of one of my all time favorite lines turning up (first the Target store releases,now the MOS line coming back). ;D

amargasaurus cazaui

With you word for word on the last post, we are living in some great times for dinosaur collectors.

Sim

I've always hated when something has only been available as part of a set with things that can be obtained individually.  It's completely unnecessary and it's also quite pointless as it reduces the amount of people that may buy the exclusive item as there will be people who want it but don't want to pay the large sum of money for the complete set.  Also considering the Battat dinosaurs are primarily toys, it seems unwise to create an exclusive figure and limit profit from it.

I have to be honest, I don't like feather crests on dinosaur figures.  I'm also really tired of most feathered dinosaur figures having a feather crest, despite there being plenty of birds without one.

amargasaurus cazaui

eh right, I was just gee whizzing there anyways, but traditionally if you look at toys with collector value that were released individually or as a set, the sets are always far rarer and attain far higher values..........case in point generation one transformer combiner sets, like the stunticons, constructicons or aerilbots. Any of those sell far cheaper as sets made from single units than the sets themselves due to the lower production and higher price. As Blade said, the idea was just a suggestion however and is entirely unsubtantiated of course

Patrx

The trouble with that sort of thing, in my view, is the concept of manufactured rarity. If something is rare because it can't be mass-produced, or is simply old and no longer made, there's nothing to be done about it; that's just rarity. It can be annoying, but it's inevitable to some degree.
But when something is deliberately manufactured in small quantities just for "collectors' value", that's just an obnoxious gimmick to me. It's not as though the model would mean more to me because it's uncommon or whatever, it's just a hoop to jump through.

Just my bit. Definitely planning on getting most of the re-releases.

I'll second Sim's comment on feather crests, too. Feathers are great, the more the better - but they don't have to automatically mean "fuzzy mohawk"  ???

amargasaurus cazaui

I can accept that idea at face value , but the problem is ....most do the very same thing every day with their collections and do not give it a thought. Consider the limited favorite pieces being released...or the ultra rare chase figures from Dinotales, or the entire Sideshow line for example. It goes on every day and in nearly every single line of dinosaur figures produced and it just seems hypocritical to suggest it is somehow out of line here.Figures are constantly being intentionally under-produced and people pay higher prices knowing and counting on that very concept.
  Might be a good point to split this entire idea off from the thread, it seems to be off topic and somewhat a dis-service to Dans intended topic.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: