News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Lack of Abelisaur figures

Started by utd7, March 07, 2015, 04:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

utd7

I have noticed that we are lacking a range of Abelisaur figures from the dino toy makers and if you are to find one it is usually a Carnotaurus. I must admit the PAPO and Safari Carnotaurus and also there is the Sideshow statue which is also great but in my opinion we need some more like Majungasaurus and Rajasaurus. What do you guys think?
We live in a Jurassic World

sauroid

CollectA need to remake their Majungasaurus (Majungatholus), tho their Rajasaurus looks nice enough (for now). yeah there is a lack of Abelisaurid figures.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The most popular is Carnotaurus and there are a lot of those out there.  Maybe they look too similar to many?

suspsy

I'm still dying to hear more about the purported giant abelisaur discovered in Africa.

It's weird how no one has made a toy of Abelisaurus itself yet.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Fofer

sauroid

CollectA made a Rugops that needs updatng too like their Majunga
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Concavenator

Battat is going to make a Majungasaurus this year.

utd7

Carnotaurus is of course the most famous Abelisaur but recently Majungasaurus has provided paleontologists with a wealth of information regarding abelisaur evolution and hunting and maybe even evidence of dino cannibalism. So maybe we will get a nice figure from a company like REBOR who have a nice range so far and have not had a go yet at an Abelisaur (probably might make a Carnotaurus anyway).

I heard about that giant African Abelisaur apparently was T-Rex sized! I really like the Abelisaur family they are weird and ugly and have those tiny useless arms which make T-Rex's arms look like Arnold Schwarzenegger's.
We live in a Jurassic World

suspsy

I received some clarification from Dr. Thomas Holtz about the mysterious African abelisaur:

QuoteYes, and it is exaggerated. (Also, note 2013 date). Very fragmentary remains of an abelisaurid bigger than Carnotaurus (but that doesn't mean T. rex sized: might well be only Daspletosaurus sized) from the Turkana Grits Formation of Kenya. Presented at a couple of conferences, but no paper yet.

A bit disappointing, but still exciting.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr