You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

How Fast can Brachiosaurus (and other Sauropods) Move?

Started by Takama, March 10, 2015, 11:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Ok, I have another question

Can Sauropods really Run like This?

On a related note, I know that  Sauropodlets can run on there hind legs, but how big can they get before they cant do that anymore?

reinier zwanink

Well i never have heared anywhere how fast they could run.
But just imagine a brachio of what was it 25 tons running
Now that would be  frigtning
I have read about the babys but they got a different size weight ratio than the adult
So it would not have been more than a faster walking pace i presume

Brachiosaurus

Perhaps they could in short bursts like when elephants charge

triceratops83

In the behind the scenes footage of Walking With Dinosaurs they decided that to support their weight Sauropods had to keep three feet on the ground at any given time.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Brachiosaurus

Quote from: triceratops83 on March 11, 2015, 01:49:04 PM
In the behind the scenes footage of Walking With Dinosaurs they decided that to support their weight Sauropods had to keep three feet on the ground at any given time.

Yet they aloud diplodocus to rear on its back legs

Takama

Quote from: Brachiosaurus on March 11, 2015, 04:42:28 PM
Quote from: triceratops83 on March 11, 2015, 01:49:04 PM

Yet they aloud diplodocus to rear on its back legs

From what i learned. Diplodocus and kin could rear up on hind legs, but Titanosaurs and Macronarians could not.   But My question regards young Sauropods ability to run on there hind feet like this.

Patrx

That illustration by Fabio Pastori was based on a trackway that seems to show evidence of bipedality in juvenile apatosaurs:

I should have gotten more photos, but you get the idea. It's on display at the Morrison Natural History Museum in Colorado.

Matt Wedel of SV-POW had described diplodocids as "basically bipeds whose forelimbs happened to reach the ground." It appears to be totally plausible for even adult diplodocids (of some smaller genera) to have walked bipedally, though I'm not sure about running. Mike Taylor had an article on the subject, but I can't seem to find it. Heinrich Mallison has done some very interesting work on it, too, (be aware that there's some strong language in that post). It would seem that Diplodocus' center of mass was essentially right at its hindlimbs, allowing it to easily, and stably, lean back on them.

Takama

Thanks for the information.

This would come in real handy for ME (And Brandems) line of Models.

I was planning on having a Macronarian run like in that Tornado Picture, but from what im reading, it is not possible.

HD-man

QuoteHow Fast can Brachiosaurus (and other Sauropods) Move?

Last I checked, "4-8 kmh" ( http://dml.cmnh.org/2008Aug/msg00031.html ).
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.