News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What is your Favorite Carnegie Model?

Started by Appalachiosaurus, March 12, 2015, 10:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your Favorite Carnegie Model?

Concavenator
0 (0%)
Miragaia
3 (9.4%)
Cryolophosaurus
0 (0%)
Carnotaurus
2 (6.3%)
Tylosaurus
6 (18.8%)
Spinosaurus (Version 1)
0 (0%)
Spinosaurus (Version 2)
1 (3.1%)
Stegosaurus
0 (0%)
Diplodocus
3 (9.4%)
Ichthyosaurus
1 (3.1%)
Microraptor
1 (3.1%)
Caudipteryx
0 (0%)
Oviraptor
0 (0%)
Amargasaurus
0 (0%)
Iguanodon
1 (3.1%)
Albertosaurus
0 (0%)
Triceratops (Version 1)
0 (0%)
Triceratops (Version 2)
0 (0%)
Allosaurus
0 (0%)
Deinosuchus
0 (0%)
Saltosaurus
0 (0%)
Kronosaurus
0 (0%)
Dilong
0 (0%)
Beipiasaurus
2 (6.3%)
Elasmosaurus
0 (0%)
Baryonyx
0 (0%)
Tanystropheus
0 (0%)
Maiasaura with Nest
1 (3.1%)
Velociraptor (Version 1)
0 (0%)
Velociraptor (Version 2)
0 (0%)
Giganotosaurus
2 (6.3%)
Camarosaurus
0 (0%)
Woolly Mammoth
2 (6.3%)
Acrocanthosaurus
0 (0%)
Dimetrodon
0 (0%)
Apatosaurus with baby
0 (0%)
Quetzalcoatlus
0 (0%)
Parasaurolophus
0 (0%)
Ankylosaurus
0 (0%)
Brachiosaurus
4 (12.5%)
Tyrannosaurus (Version 1)
1 (3.1%)
Tyrannosaurus (Version 2)
0 (0%)
Tyrannosaurus (Version 3)
1 (3.1%)
Protoceratops nest
0 (0%)
Autralopithicus couple
0 (0%)
Smilodon
0 (0%)
Other
1 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Patrx

I'm in agreement that there's no call for feeling "dumb" about your story, Dinobot. We're all here to celebrate the attachment we have to plastic dinosaur toys and the role they've played in our lives. Things have whatever importance they are granted, it's nothing inherent in their nature.

Goodness, how do I pick a favorite Carnegie? It's gotta be one of the newer ones. The latest Brachiosaurus is a marvel, and very accurate. The Smilodon is my favorite model of the genus. The Microraptor was the first thing I picked up when I began collecting. The Miragaia and Amargasaurus are both striking and elegant, and there are other magnificent pieces in the running as well.

SBell

My first one that I recall was the Elasmosaurus (the original brown with the very bent neck--side note, the poll should at least have both colour versions). It lived in my Grade 12 locker. It wasn't long before the newly released (!) Mosasaurus joined it.

I still have both of those figures, although they are kind of buried amongst everything else.

I have an ambivalence overall towards the line--I have the ones I like, there are some I don't. But I am glad that the Carnegie line pushed other companies into being something better than was then-available (even forcing Invicta to paint their models! And still putting them out of business, which is less great).

Concavenator

My favorite is the Carnotaurus,which,sadly I don't have.

Horridus

Carnotaurus, I think. There are a few quadrupeds that are probably technically better (I'm thinking of the Miragaia in particular). But, theropods, you see... ;)
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

SBell

Quote from: Concavenator on March 16, 2015, 06:34:48 PM

Which one--the original figure from 1997-2007 or the really good one from 2007-now?

Because there are two.

Gwangi

The Carnotaurus (2011) is certainly my favorite of their theropods. I actually have a harder time picking a favorite non-theropod because there are just too many greats. Based on nostalgia alone the old Brachiosaurus is a favorite always worth mentioning. The newer Diplodocus is a contender and I love the recent Ankylosaurus too but I think the Miragaia might take it for me.

postsaurischian

Quote from: SBell on March 16, 2015, 08:43:31 PM

Which one--the original figure from 1997-2007 or the really good one from 2007-now?

Because there are two.

Quote from: Gwangi on March 16, 2015, 09:12:14 PM
The Carnotaurus (2007) is certainly my favorite of their theropods. .......

??? I guess you are talking about the 2011 Carnotaurus that was released with the Miragaia (what a great Carnegie year!).
Yes, it's one of the line's very best figures :).

Or is there a 2007 Carnotaurus of which I'm not aware of?

Concavenator

Because there are two.
The 2011 one,of course.

Gwangi

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 16, 2015, 09:27:51 PM

Because there are two.

??? I guess you are talking about the 2011 Carnotaurus that was released with the Miragaia (what a great Carnegie year!).

Yeah, I meant the 2011 model. There is no 2007, unless that's when the repaint of the 1997 came out? I don't know, too many dates!

SBell

Quote from: Gwangi on March 16, 2015, 10:29:11 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on March 16, 2015, 09:27:51 PM

Because there are two.

Yeah, I meant the 2011 model. There is no 2007, unless that's when the repaint of the 1997 came out? I don't know, too many dates!

I'd actually forgotten about the repaint, the weird middle child of 2007! And yes, the much better one is the 2011. I was responding at work (rather than working, I guess) so I didn't research thoroughly. Although that also means the poll is missing one Elasmosaurus version and two Carnotaurus versions. And the Maiasaur ON nest, versus 'with' nest.

Starting again, our chief weapons are surprise, one Elasmosaurus version, two Carnotaurus versions, a Maiasaurua on nest, and a nice red hat...

Oh, someone else do it.

Gwangi

Yes, there is only one Brachiosaurus on the poll too so I'm refusing to vote until it's complete. I don't wanna brag but...my poll is complete, and in order of release...I think...well it's supposed to be.  8)

amargasaurus cazaui

oh no....anarchy in the polls !!! Madness..what next? Dogs and cats living together lol.....I did wonder about the missing models and which was which here myself so I also did not vote.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Simon

Woolly Mammoth.  It looks like it just walked out of a Charles Knight or Zdenek Burian painting. 

But the Tylosaurus was good too.  As was Miragaia.  And Camarasaurus was an 'oldie but goodie''.

At first I kept looking for that beautiful Nigersaurus, to vote for - then I realized that "Its a Watson".   ;)

tyrantqueen

QuoteAt first I kept looking for that beautiful Nigersaurus, to vote for - then I realized that "Its a Watson".
I do not think Doug Watson sculpted the Nigersaurus. I am 99.9% sure it was sculpted by the same person who created the Postosuchus, Velociraptor and Dilophosaurus.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Simon on March 17, 2015, 02:27:32 AM
At first I kept looking for that beautiful Nigersaurus, to vote for - then I realized that "Its a Watson".   ;)

Unfortunately I can't take credit for that one.

SBell

Quote from: Simon on March 17, 2015, 02:27:32 AM
Woolly Mammoth.  It looks like it just walked out of a Charles Knight or Zdenek Burian painting. 

But the Tylosaurus was good too.  As was Miragaia.  And Camarasaurus was an 'oldie but goodie''.

I just realized, it's not that it's a 'Watson' (which it isn't) but that it's a Wild Safari Dinos model. Which would be odd to find in this poll!

amargasaurus cazaui

The idea just hit me for a super good thread for the forum, so I am going to mention it, but I have too much on my plate right now to try and bite it off, so if someone else wants to give it a go, yay. Otherwise, I may be able to visit the idea in a few months , once my annual show is done for this year.

Anyways..for someone that has the energy and gumption...a thread that would serve everyone here as a valuable resource might be a list of models.....Safari, Carnegie, whatever and who sculpted them if known. While at first glance that might sound intimidating, realize that we dont have the names for many of the sculpters . And as an aside to that, as Doug already has done, perhaps a list of who consulted the figure..wether Dr admin, or Ken carpenter by example. If noone does it, I will in a month or so when my show is over..otherwise, happy hunting for someone
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 17, 2015, 01:14:57 PM
The idea just hit me for a super good thread for the forum, so I am going to mention it, but I have too much on my plate right now to try and bite it off, so if someone else wants to give it a go, yay. Otherwise, I may be able to visit the idea in a few months , once my annual show is done for this year.

Anyways..for someone that has the energy and gumption...a thread that would serve everyone here as a valuable resource might be a list of models.....Safari, Carnegie, whatever and who sculpted them if known. While at first glance that might sound intimidating, realize that we dont have the names for many of the sculpters . And as an aside to that, as Doug already has done, perhaps a list of who consulted the figure..wether Dr admin, or Ken carpenter by example. If noone does it, I will in a month or so when my show is over..otherwise, happy hunting for someone
That's a good idea. I've actually thought about it myself occasionally.

I do know that the sculptor of some of the older Safaris was this prolific individual: http://wmbsculptor.tripod.com/id4.html I have checked around the site but cannot find any information about the sculptor themselves. I only know they go by the name "wmbsculptor".

Doug Watson

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 17, 2015, 05:33:02 PM

I do know that the sculptor of some of the older Safaris was this prolific individual: http://wmbsculptor.tripod.com/id4.html I have checked around the site but cannot find any information about the sculptor themselves. I only know they go by the name "wmbsculptor".

That is William Burford https://www.elance.com/s/wmbsculptor/ I have mentioned him before as the sculptor of the nonfeathered dinosaurs in the AMNH Feathered Dinosaur Toob that I worked on.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 17, 2015, 06:04:54 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 17, 2015, 05:33:02 PM

That is William Burford https://www.elance.com/s/wmbsculptor/ I have mentioned him before as the sculptor of the nonfeathered dinosaurs in the AMNH Feathered Dinosaur Toob that I worked on.
Thank you for the correction. Do you know any others?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: