You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Is this forum going to replace the DTF?

Started by kinol, March 13, 2012, 04:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinol

I just found out that DTF had been quietly updated to V2. So is this forum going to replace the DTF? How about the data on the old forum? There are tons of valuables in the threads.

Btw, this new forum looks better than the old one. I like it.

DinoToyForum

Yep. The old V1 forum will remain as an archive. There's an appropriate thread on the V1 forum explaining all :)

kinol

Oh, my bad, I didn't notice the thread. I am just thinking would that be better to disable posting on the old forum if we want this place to be our new home permenantly? If people are still allowed to post on V1, I guess it will be very hard for them to switch to V2.

Himmapaan

Quote from: kinol on March 13, 2012, 04:51:46 PM
Oh, my bad, I didn't notice the thread. I am just thinking would that be better to disable posting on the old forum if we want this place to be our new home permenantly? If people are still allowed to post on V1, I guess it will be very hard for them to switch to V2.
There are posts explaining exactly that, too. :) New threads can now no longer be started on the old forum, but existing threads can continue for the time being. Eventually, those will be locked too. :)

Tylosaurus

Maybe fusing the old and the new is an idea, unless it's not possible due to the different code they both may have?

The DTF.. what tha  , my Descent League is called the Descent Task Force aka DTF too, hah that was confusing to read rofl!
http://dtaskforce.forumotion.com

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Tylosaurus on March 19, 2012, 04:02:19 AM
Maybe fusing the old and the new is an idea, unless it's not possible due to the different code they both may have?

The DTF.. what tha  , my Descent League is called the Descent Task Force aka DTF too, hah that was confusing to read rofl!

Proboards do not provide access to their (our) database so the V1 content is locked there. 

stoneage

Quote from: dinotoyforum on March 19, 2012, 10:28:04 AM

Proboards do not provide access to their (our) database so the V1 content is locked there.

Why does you Avatar say, Dinosaur:  Rhomaleosaurus?  Shouldn't it say Plesiosauria or something?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: stoneage on March 19, 2012, 09:00:07 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on March 19, 2012, 10:28:04 AM

Why does you Avatar day, Dinosaur:  Rhomaleosaurus?  Shouldn't it say Plesiosauria or something?

:o

postsaurischian

Quote from: Himmapaan on March 13, 2012, 04:58:08 PM
There are posts explaining exactly that, too. :) New threads can now no longer be started on the old forum, but existing threads can continue for the time being. Eventually, those will be locked too. :)
No! Don't lock them!
It's much easier for me to find my picture links there than it is on Photobucket, which is very untidy ;D
I wouldn't have access to the links when the threads are locked.

I'm still grieving about the old forum, but hey, I'm hopelessly nostalgic ......., I know :-X.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 19, 2012, 09:17:42 PM
Quote from: Himmapaan on March 13, 2012, 04:58:08 PM
No! Don't lock them!
It's much easier for me to find my picture links there than it is on Photobucket, which is very untidy ;D
I wouldn't have access to the links when the threads are locked.

I'm still grieving about the old forum, but hey, I'm hopelessly nostalgic ......., I know :-X.

The old forum is now closed to new threads and replies, but you should still be able to log in copy posts and picture links.

neuro

You know, it is possible to migrate whole old forum to this new one, but you have to use script to do so... Just a quick google search:
http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78641

Tylosaurus

Hmm that might only be possible of the code is similar, the only problem you will have is all the members from the old place won't mix with the new ones here, I think the code of the new place makes this impossible since it's very different. Yet I may be mistaken here.

tyrantqueen

I thought it was kinda obvious this forum was gonna replace V1.

Wasn't that the whole point of migrating?

stoneage

tyrantqueen

QuoteCan't we have our cake and eat it too!
No, you may not have your cake *takes away cake* The cake is lie  >:D :))

Tylosaurus

anchry6

I'm wondering what are the reasons that prompted you to change the forum. Thanks for the reply.
It's not a criticism is just curiosity.

:D

DinoToyForum

Hi Anchry, the reason for the move was outlined on the forum archive: http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=feetback&action=display&thread=2918&page=1.

Basically, Proboards was too limited. ;)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Tylosaurus on April 05, 2012, 02:34:30 AM
Instant Karma would be tha bomb 8)
What is Karma? (Obviously I know what karma is in real life, but you know what I mean :P)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: neuro on April 04, 2012, 09:43:31 PM
You know, it is possible to migrate whole old forum to this new one, but you have to use script to do so... Just a quick google search:
http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78641

When I was doing my research before we moved, I discovered the thread you link to, but it doesn't actually provide any practical information. I tried to work out what converter script would work, but without any luck.

If there is a way to migrate content from Proboards to SMF, it's a hack that's beyond me, and maybe even illegal?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: