You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Decent 1:40 Scale Velociraptors or Deinonychus Figures

Started by DarkPhantom, March 25, 2015, 09:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkPhantom

I don't care about if they have bad paint jobs, but I would love some 1:40 or 1:50 scale dromaeosaurs with a good sculpt for dioramas. I have a Papo and a Schleich raptor, and the sculpts are great, but they look completely out of scale with the rest of my models. Does anyone have any recommendations?

DinoLord

I'm not sure about the exact scale, but the Kaiyodo Dinotales Deinonychus might be good for your purposes.

Takama

I Might Commission Brandem to make a 1:50 scale Deinonychus group in the future. Keep in mind that would make the Animals 2 inches long.

stargatedalek

By "good sculpt" do you mean detail or accuracy wise?

postsaurischian

Favorite Metal Model  Deinonychus - originally designed by Araki

Velociraptor pair from the Kaiyodo JPIII Coca Cola series

Quote from: DinoLord on March 25, 2015, 09:50:39 PM
I'm not sure about the exact scale, but the Kaiyodo Dinotales Deinonychus might be good for your purposes.

David Krentz - Pack of Generic Dromaeosaurs in 1:40 for Shapeways:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/K4AP3DQ7S/dromaeosaurs-or-raptors1-40-krentz?li=shop-results&optionId=16564747

You could also have a look at the different Dinosaur toobs by Safari Ltd. - some have tiny Dromaeosaur figures.

Hope, this helps.

Arul

grantharding

I'm fond of the Tamiya Velociraptor group; apart from the lack of feathers, it still seems like an accurate sculpt.

I believe they're 1:35 scale.

DarkPhantom

Thank you for the recommendation!

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 25, 2015, 10:13:55 PM
Favorite Metal Model  Deinonychus - originally designed by Araki

Velociraptor pair from the Kaiyodo JPIII Coca Cola series

David Krentz - Pack of Generic Dromaeosaurs in 1:40 for Shapeways:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/K4AP3DQ7S/dromaeosaurs-or-raptors1-40-krentz?li=shop-results&optionId=16564747

You could also have a look at the different Dinosaur toobs by Safari Ltd. - some have tiny Dromaeosaur figures.

Hope, this helps.

These look awesome!

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 25, 2015, 10:11:51 PM
By "good sculpt" do you mean detail or accuracy wise?

Detail. Even if they are meant to be small Velociraptors, but have the Jurassic Park size instead, I wouldn't mind. :)

Quote from: grantharding on March 25, 2015, 11:34:16 PM
I'm fond of the Tamiya Velociraptor group; apart from the lack of feathers, it still seems like an accurate sculpt.

I believe they're 1:35 scale.

I'll look into those as well!

Quote from: Takama on March 25, 2015, 10:00:06 PM
I Might Commission Brandem to make a 1:50 scale Deinonychus group in the future. Keep in mind that would make the Animals 2 inches long.

Do you have any idea what that might cost? I've never commissioned anything before. Right now, I wouldn't be financially available for much of anything, but when I am, I definitely want to keep building more dioramas.

I just want to say, thank all of you for your insight and help!

Takama

Do you have any idea what that might cost? I've never commissioned anything before. Right now, I wouldn't be financially available for much of anything, but when I am, I definitely want to keep building more dioramas.

I just want to say, thank all of you for your insight and help!

Brandem is very cheap when it comes to commissioning. He usualy goes by the amount of work he has to put into a sculpt. so a 1:40 (or 1:50, if you wish to beat me to it) Deinonychus would be $20(for 1:50) or $30 (for 1:40) to commission.    Of course this is based on my experience and im guessing on how he prices things (for instance, i asked for the price of a Diorama featureing a sauropod, and three Carnivoires and he charged less then what i was expecting), for more accurate info, you will have to PM Brandem yourself ;)

tyrantqueen

It's hard to find good sculpts in such a small scale. The Japanese brands are probably best.

The Tamiya Velociraptor pack is 1:35

Federreptil

I think the Papo and Schleich Raptors are in scale nearly 1:10.
It is the always here a question what type of detailed raptor you will prefer. The fans of the JP style want a naked reptile and then the Tamiya pack is indeed the best in price and look.
Or you find a way to feather this little beasts. (I'm still thinking how to manage this question with my limited skills) If you want a modern pack with a birdish look, you should take the David Krentz sculpts at shapeways. (I ordered mine just now and can't wait to see them).

grantharding

Quote from: Federreptil on March 26, 2015, 10:17:42 PM
If you want a modern pack with a birdish look, you should take the David Krentz sculpts at shapeways. (I ordered mine just now and can't wait to see them).

Ooh, yeah, those are awesome. I hadn't seen those before!

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Krentz ones are pretty cool for uber tiny figures. One of my four has a printing error, the one with the arms tucked up to it's body, head up, walking. But I didn't even notice til just now looking at them under a different light.

Sumo

It is the always here a question what type of detailed raptor you will prefer. The fans of the JP style want a naked reptile and then the Tamiya pack is indeed the best in price and look.
Or you find a way to feather this little beasts. (I'm still thinking how to manage this question with my limited skills) If you want a modern pack with a birdish look, you should take the David Krentz sculpts at shapeways. (I ordered mine just now and can't wait to see them).
I'm currently refeathering a Tamiya... originally I tried sculpting the wings, which in this scale went as well as can be  expected. Incidentally, is anyone selling resin raptor wings?
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

tyrantqueen

The Tamiya raptors aren't based on JP. They're just dated. Back in the day their stuff was considered to be fairly accurate.

ltokuda

This figure is about 5" long.  It's a bit too big to be a 1/40 scale deinonychus.  It could pass for an achillobator, though.

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: ltokuda on March 28, 2015, 06:07:44 AM

This figure is about 5" long.  It's a bit too big to be a 1/40 scale deinonychus.  It could pass for an achillobator, though.

Or indeed a small Utahraptor ;)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Federreptil

@ tyrantqueen
It might be sound a little bit inaccurate, if I said 'JP Style' to the Tamiya pack. I know that the Tamiya kits were not part of the JP Merchandise. The six Velociraptors are very high detailed and extreme well proportioned. Much better as the most official JP-Stuff. But if you paint them in the right manner, they will look very fine as movie velociraptors because they are so dated as the JP raptors. And if an unfeathered Papo T-rex is taken for the scene it might be the logical decision to choose a naked Velociraptor/Deinonychus too. 

Federreptil

A little optical update to the Shapeways Dromaeosaurus group by David Krentz because my order arrived. I can't find a print error
– the sickle crawl is just relaxed when the foot is in the air.

They look really birdish if you compare them with the Velociraptor pack of Tamiya. Here is a real advantage you can build more then 12 individuals.

In size the Tamiya Velociraptor is more a Deinonychus or a small Utahraptor and the Krentz Raptor a real velociraptor-size as a bigger crow.
So it would not be the best idea for a feathered Dromaeosaurus to go between the reptilian cousins.

What type of Maniraptor is your favorite? If you want a Jurassic Park scene in the diorama you will prefer the Tamiya Velociraptors:

If you like a more calm and naturalistic diorama you will take the small bird-raptor slipping through the big naked rebor legs.

Arul

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: