News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Neck Flexibility

Started by Mamasaurus, April 14, 2015, 11:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mamasaurus

I know that plesiosaurs have generally rather rigid necks, but I am curious about Elasmosaurus in particular.  It has an insanely long neck, so how flexible would it be compared to other plesiosaurs?  If anyone can point to an illustration or something that I can get a visual, that would be most helpful.   :)

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

Dan

Our own Dr. Admin discusses this a bit here:

http://plesiosauria.com/news/index.php/why-did-elasmosaurids-have-such-a-long-neck/

I was speaking with him about this a while ago, and he did specifically mention that elasmosaurids would have more flexibility compared to other plesiosaurs. This makes them an appealing subject for artists, of course.

Mamasaurus

Thank you! I did search the forum before posting my question. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. 😊

DinoToyForum

Yes, that article might be helpful :)

Mamasaurus

That article was exactly what I needed. Thank you! I loved the pictures and the simple language. 😊

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Mamasaurus on April 15, 2015, 07:51:38 PM
That article was exactly what I needed. Thank you! I loved the pictures and the simple language. 😊

Glad it was useful! That's exactly what the blog is all about, I try to leave the jargon to the technical literature. :)

stargatedalek

Amazing article! This was something I was actually about to ask.

I really did not expect them to have had the range of movement they did! Truly impressive.

laticauda

Even though it wasn't my question, I am always up for new info.  That article was great.  Long necks seem in many ways, to be a pain in the neck, but I wonder if it would have been useful when swimming around or through a bait ball of fish?

Takama

Is it ok If i ask a similar qustion only instead of Plesiosaurs, i ask about the flexibility of Sauropods?

I know there not snake like and there not as stiff as once thoght. But could Sauropods turn there necks around in a half circle to look behind it?

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.