News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

I really like the Giraffatitan. Along with I-Toy's Paraceratherium, it's definitely a positive sign from I consider to be the least interesting part of the Dinosaur toy market. I might have to pick this one up.

Lanthanotus

Nice additions to your collection and the thread, I especially like the plesiosaur with its unusual color scheme. The addition of the Anchisaurus made me giggle, such a freaky thing..I guess if you show something like this in your official collection, it really means its time some serious model makers take a chance on that species :)

Shonisaurus

I congratulate you on your new acquisitions Halichoeres. Honestly I personally like W-Dragon's brachiosaurus more than Nanmu's apatosaurus. W-Dragon's brachiosaurus is finished in details superior to other sauropods from other brands. I'm glad for you.

On the other hand, the anchisaurus is an ideal figure as a toy for children and even for a collector of figures of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals it is still interesting.

Crackington

I found it curious when my girls were younger watching Harry and his Bucketful of Dinosaurs with them as one of his collection was an Anchisaurus. I always wondered where he got it from, the lucky lad!

Halichoeres

Thanks for stopping by, everyone!
Quote from: Lanthanotus on October 17, 2020, 08:03:25 AM
Nice additions to your collection and the thread, I especially like the plesiosaur with its unusual color scheme. The addition of the Anchisaurus made me giggle, such a freaky thing..I guess if you show something like this in your official collection, it really means its time some serious model makers take a chance on that species :)

Yes, the selection of basal sauropodomorphs is just dire. Currently, I have the Mattel Mussaurus, the Happy Kin Riojasaurus, the PNSO Lufengosaurus, this "Anchisaurus," and the Safari Carnegie Plateosaurus. As far as I'm concerned all of those need replacements or updates.

Quote from: Crackington on October 17, 2020, 10:06:58 AM
I found it curious when my girls were younger watching Harry and his Bucketful of Dinosaurs with them as one of his collection was an Anchisaurus. I always wondered where he got it from, the lucky lad!

That's so funny, I didn't know that! He had a Scelidosaurus, too, an updated version of which is sorely needed.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Georassic

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 17, 2020, 07:36:11 PM

I definitely plan to paint the correctly sized one, but I have a big backlog of unpainted 3d prints, so I'm not sure when I'll get to it. I still haven't painted Mike Eischen's Kannemeyeria, and I've had that for several years already.

[/quote]

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Is this the Kannemeyeria you speak of? I've been thinking about buying, and always respect your take...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kannemeyeria-of-the-Triassic-1-35-scale-3d-plastic-Model-Very-Rare/233713943502?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Halichoeres

avatar_Georassic @Georassic that's the one! This is my still-unpainted copy:

I keep hoping he'll make more Triassic animals, but five years later I still don't think he has.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Georassic

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 20, 2020, 01:21:18 PM

I keep hoping he'll make more Triassic animals, but five years later I still don't think he has.
yes, he has lots of Cenozoic mammals, but like you, I'm perpetually hoping for more Triassic fauna, and now that I've started painting figures, this figure is inching up my wish list... Thanks!

Stegotyranno420

Halichoeres

Quote from: Georassic on October 20, 2020, 02:52:01 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on October 20, 2020, 01:21:18 PM

yes, he has lots of Cenozoic mammals, but like you, I'm perpetually hoping for more Triassic fauna, and now that I've started painting figures, this figure is inching up my wish list... Thanks!

I hope you'll share some of your repaints with us!

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 20, 2020, 09:57:48 PM
Thats alot of figures. Nice collection

Thank you, very kind.

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 21, 2020, 01:29:38 AM
I need some more Eischen models too, I only have one Paraceratherium by him so far and most of the time shipping costs hold me back.

If you ever want to stow US items with me and ship them all at once, I'd be happy to help.

Halichoeres

Some new stem-birds:

PNSO Tuojiangosaurus
Scale: 1:25-1:30
Sculptor: someone in the workshop of Zhao Chuang
Released: 2020
Middle Jurassic of Laurasia
I've been waiting for PNSO to make this genus almost since they've existed. Although several decent miniatures exist, this is the only good "full-sized" version. Up until now, Tuojiangosaurus was represented in my collection by Imperial's bead-filled jiggler, so this is a very welcome replacement! The plates on this figure sweep back more than the preserved portions do, but I guess that's within the range of possibility for the overlying keratin, especially if the animal was going really fast while it was secreted. The hips strike me as just a touch high relative to the shoulders. Still, it's one of my favorite stegosaur figures now. Beautiful sculpt, tidy paint job, a total winner.

Plausibly to scale with this Mamenchisaurus, by my measurements--Tuojiangosaurus was big for a stegosaur!

CollectA Caviramus
Scale: 1:1.5
Sculptor: Matthias Geiger
Released: 2020
Upper Triassic
Another Supreme pterosaur! At this rate I'll soon need an aviary. In the tradition of CollectA pterosaurs, it's somewhat larger than the stated scale as measured by rigid elements. The palette is definitely a little odd, but I think it works. I'll save the rest for my review for the blog, but I'm pretty happy to have this, even though I have precious little that scales with it.

Speaking of precious and little...

Thanks for visiting, and as always, I'll try to accommodate comparison requests if I can.

Loon

Congrats on the new figures. You say that, aside from the Imperial, there aren't any other figures of Tuojiangosaurus, but I could have sworn I've seen one before. Still, I'm just jealous of everyone who's getting there's already.

Faelrin

That stegosaur is such a piece of art. Might even be one of my favorite stegosaur figures now. Easily a must have. Just wondering when I will be able to order it (and the rest of PNSO's stellar releases. I have so much catching up to do).

Wow I had no idea the Triadobatrachus was so itty bitty, unless the Caviramus is that much of a behemoth in comparison. Reminds me of the tiny frogs I found as a kid growing up though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I congratulate you on your new acquisitions. I really appreciate your constructive criticism around caviramus and tuojiangosaurus. Magnificent figures both from my point of view.

ceratopsian

Poor doomed frog!  Good to see in-hand photos of the Tuojiangosaurus. I'm still looking forward very much to its arrival at Everything Dinosaur in due course. I'm also looking forward to your review of the Caviramus.  I like mine so much that it still hasn't made its way out of my study into the model room!

Flaffy

Congrats on the Tuojiango! I wonder how he compares with Sede the Ankylosaurus, which easily held the title of the best figure in this particular series of figures.

Duna

Quote from: Flaffy on October 29, 2020, 09:16:13 AM
Congrats on the Tuojiango! I wonder how he compares with Sede the Ankylosaurus, which easily held the title of the best figure in this particular series of figures.
My point exactly!  :D
Congrats for your new adquisitions. The giraffatitan has left me speechless ...

Jose S.M.

Great figures both of them. Collecta is making small pterosaurs one of their winning cards, as well as invertebrates.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Nice acquisitions, the Tuojiangosaurus is especially beautiful and I cant wait to get a good figure of my favourite Stegosaur.
Nice to see how the W Dragon Giraffatitan looks next to the Atlasaurus, I see now that it probably far too large for me to consider.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

Thanks, everyone!

Quote from: Loon on October 29, 2020, 02:28:18 AM
Congrats on the new figures. You say that, aside from the Imperial, there aren't any other figures of Tuojiangosaurus, but I could have sworn I've seen one before. Still, I'm just jealous of everyone who's getting there's already.

It's possible I missed one. There's a Colorata, an Eikoh, arguably a Kaiyodo (the series 6 "Stegosaurus"), and the PNSO, but those are all 1:60 or smaller, not really suited for my displays.

Quote from: Faelrin on October 29, 2020, 04:17:11 AM
Wow I had no idea the Triadobatrachus was so itty bitty, unless the Caviramus is that much of a behemoth in comparison. Reminds me of the tiny frogs I found as a kid growing up though.

A little of both. The Triadobatrachus is one of my 10 or so smallest figures. Would a photo with the Mattel Mussaurus help? That's also a somewhat similar scale.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 29, 2020, 07:25:56 AM
avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I congratulate you on your new acquisitions. I really appreciate your constructive criticism around caviramus and tuojiangosaurus. Magnificent figures both from my point of view.

I quite agree, very happy with both of these.

Quote from: ceratopsian on October 29, 2020, 08:55:15 AM
Poor doomed frog!  Good to see in-hand photos of the Tuojiangosaurus. I'm still looking forward very much to its arrival at Everything Dinosaur in due course. I'm also looking forward to your review of the Caviramus.  I like mine so much that it still hasn't made its way out of my study into the model room!

I just hope I can do it justice! And I agree this one is worth savoring.

Quote from: Flaffy on October 29, 2020, 09:16:13 AM

Your wish is my command:

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on October 29, 2020, 05:21:25 PM
Nice acquisitions, the Tuojiangosaurus is especially beautiful and I cant wait to get a good figure of my favourite Stegosaur.
Nice to see how the W Dragon Giraffatitan looks next to the Atlasaurus, I see now that it probably far too large for me to consider.
If you have a size limit, that seems reasonable--it's among my largest figures. If it's a scale limit, instead, well, it's really well within the scale range of major lines like Safari, CollectA, PNSO, etc. This was just a truly huge animal!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: