News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Sure that comparison would be of help. I would be grateful if you did.

And wow the Tuojiangosaurus looks good next to their Ankylosaurus. No doubt it will look good alongside their Stegosaurus as well. Hopefully next year I can do some serious catching up on PNSO's (and CollectA's) releases.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

postsaurischian

W-Dragon Giraffatitan and PNSO Tuojiangosaurus are such outstanding beautiful figures and perfect choices for this thread.
I'm enjoying your photographs. Good idea with CollectA Caviramus and PlayVisions Triadobatrachus.
My Triadobatrachus is hidden in the Sideshow Styracosaurus base :) .

Bokisaurus

Always great to see new additions, and those are some really nice one, especially nice to see them with other figures.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Faelrin on October 30, 2020, 04:04:41 PM
Sure that comparison would be of help. I would be grateful if you did.

Here you go!

All my tiny Triassic critters in one place.

Quote from: postsaurischian on October 30, 2020, 09:37:12 PM
My Triadobatrachus is hidden in the Sideshow Styracosaurus base :) .

Also an excellent habitat for a frog!

Quote from: Bokisaurus on October 31, 2020, 04:31:36 AM
Always great to see new additions, and those are some really nice one, especially nice to see them with other figures.

Thank you! I've learned from you that a comparison photo or two goes a long way...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

That Longisquama (?) makes me uncomfortable...but the drepanosaur is awesome! I didn't know there was a drepanosaur figure available.

Faelrin

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Thanks for the comparison. Wow it really is that tiny. Like the size of a mini or tube figure for sure. The other additions are certainly charming too.

avatar_Newt @Newt There is another take by Morbi Dinos. Kind of similar to Marx figures in being solid colored plastic, but also a bit more cartoony in style. Dejankins has a couple in stock if you want to take a look at it.

SBell

Quote from: Faelrin on November 01, 2020, 03:12:58 PM
avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Thanks for the comparison. Wow it really is that tiny. Like the size of a mini or tube figure for sure. The other additions are certainly charming too.

avatar_Newt @Newt There is another take by Morbi Dinos. Kind of similar to Marx figures in being solid colored plastic, but also a bit more cartoony in style. Dejankins has a couple in stock if you want to take a look at it.

Is it truly better though?

I was at first hoping you meant a different drepanosaur figure...

Faelrin

avatar_SBell @SBell Sorry I should have been more specific. I guess being a bit sleep deprived has had me off track a bit. I meant they had another take on Longisquama. Of course I would prefer something a little more accurate and realistic as well, but it is an option nonetheless. To be honest I had no idea there were even options until I stumbled upon it the other day, and now this one avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres has that I must have missed somehow.

SBell

Quote from: Faelrin on November 01, 2020, 05:22:13 PM
avatar_SBell @SBell Sorry I should have been more specific. I guess being a bit sleep deprived has had me off track a bit. I meant they had another take on Longisquama. Of course I would prefer something a little more accurate and realistic as well, but it is an option nonetheless. To be honest I had no idea there were even options until I stumbled upon it the other day, and now this one avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres has that I must have missed somehow.

The DinoFroz one has been around a while... their 'best' ones are their Triassic animals.

Newt

Quote from: Faelrin on November 01, 2020, 03:12:58 PM

Thanks! The Morbi is not to my taste, but I will give them props for at least giving their Longisquama elbows, instead of two sets of knees like the one avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres posted.

I guess I should stop being surprised at the dearth of good figures of animals from any periods other than the Jurassic, Cretaceous, and Pleistocene. This thread often makes me say, "Really? That's the best figure you could find of (iconic species X)?" I'm impressed with Halichoeres' persistence in acquiring the uggos as placeholders anyhow - it indicates a powerful optimism that someday that...thing will no longer be in his possession, because someone will have made a better option.

Primeval12

I feel like PNSO's Lambeosaurus should dethrone Bullyland's but that's just my opinion.

Shonisaurus

For me the PNSO is superior, the Bullyland lambeosaurus is very good but it is out of date from a scientific point of view.

Eocarcharia

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 30, 2020, 03:10:54 PM

Wow, that Tuojiangosaurus is bigger than I imagined! Also, because I don't think I've said it yet, fantastic collection. I like your commitment to a certain method of collecting. I'm less focused, which leads to a lot of conflict on deciding what to get.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Newt on November 02, 2020, 01:02:57 AM

I guess I should stop being surprised at the dearth of good figures of animals from any periods other than the Jurassic, Cretaceous, and Pleistocene. This thread often makes me say, "Really? That's the best figure you could find of (iconic species X)?" I'm impressed with Halichoeres' persistence in acquiring the uggos as placeholders anyhow - it indicates a powerful optimism that someday that...thing will no longer be in his possession, because someone will have made a better option.

It is the only arena in life where I give in to optimism.

Quote from: Primeval12 on November 16, 2020, 04:16:19 PM
I feel like PNSO's Lambeosaurus should dethrone Bullyland's but that's just my opinion.

avatar_Primeval12 @Primeval12 avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus Oh yes, I completely agree. For new releases, I usually update the list on the first page once I've added a figure to my collection, and apart from the Tuojiangosaurus, all my 2020 PNSO figures are still in the mail.

Quote from: Eocarcharia on November 16, 2020, 10:55:55 PM

Wow, that Tuojiangosaurus is bigger than I imagined! Also, because I don't think I've said it yet, fantastic collection. I like your commitment to a certain method of collecting. I'm less focused, which leads to a lot of conflict on deciding what to get.

Thank you very much! I definitely wrestle sometimes with which version of a figure I like more, but this way of collecting definitely keeps the growth in check.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 01, 2020, 03:36:42 AM

All my tiny Triassic critters in one place.

I am somewhat surprised you did not choose the Playmobil Longsiquama as the "best" ;)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Lanthanotus on November 17, 2020, 03:40:29 PM

I am somewhat surprised you did not choose the Playmobil Longsiquama as the "best" ;)

avatar_Lanthanotus @Lanthanotus do you mean this figure? I actually do have one.

I've seen people use it as Kuehneosaurus, Draco, Icarosaurus, etc., but I'm not sure it works as a Longisquama unless its dorsal ornaments were a lot more horizontal than I've always assumed. In my collection the Playmobil figure stands in for Xianglong. If they made a proper Longisquama I'd definitely be interested.

triceratops83

Don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but I like the backdrop you've been using for your photos. And you seem to pick the right colours to suit the figures in each pic.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Lanthanotus

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Yeah, thats the one I had in mind. But I updated my Longisquama information and it seems the dispute over it being a conglomerate of animal and plant fossil is settled aswell as the fixed position of whatever it is it carries on its back. Therefor, yes, the Playmobil lizard is not a good choice, can see that now. Would be really time some msnufacturer tackles this animal, aswell as Drepanosaurus....I'd like CollectA doin the job.

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on November 18, 2020, 05:37:18 PM
Didn't Mr. Tokugawa make a Drepanosaurus?

avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono Yes, indeed! It's in the photo Lanthanotus was referring to, but it was on the previous page so you might not have seen it.

Of course I still think it merits a good toy.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: