News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 30, 2021, 12:52:48 AM
S @stoneage I added my recent additions from Happy Kin, Mattel, and PNSO, reinstated the Takara Anchiornis, and also added (in red because I don't own them yet and possibly never will) some Vernon Edwards and Pocock fish models.

I just read about those. I want them. But I don't think we'll ever see them

BlueKrono

Quote from: SBell on November 30, 2021, 01:31:02 AM
S @stoneage I added my recent additions from Happy Kin, Mattel, and PNSO, reinstated the Takara Anchiornis, and also added (in red because I don't own them yet and possibly never will) some Vernon Edwards and Pocock fish models.

If I ever hear about any British museums closing and having an auction I'll loop you guys in.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

SBell

Quote from: BlueKrono on November 30, 2021, 03:16:35 AM
Quote from: SBell on November 30, 2021, 01:31:02 AM

If I ever hear about any British museums closing and having an auction I'll loop you guys in.
That would be awesome. Many of these are probably buried in storage somewhere

Eocarcharia

That Himalayasaurus is nice. I'm personally hoping for a Shonisaurus, Shastasaurus, or Cymbospondylus.

JimoAi

I'm assuming the 2013 favorite co one works more as cryptoclidus

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Eocarcharia on November 30, 2021, 09:51:49 PM
That Himalayasaurus is nice. I'm personally hoping for a Shonisaurus, Shastasaurus, or Cymbospondylus.

Hopefully it's a shonisaurus! It's my favorite marine reptile or a shastasaurus or good, or both. PNSO or any other brand can make a shonisaurus and shastasaurus figure of a quality and size that will make that figure totally unsurpassed for many years and even decades. I have confidence in the PNSO, Collecta, Safari or IToy brand.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 06, 2021, 01:39:26 PM

Hopefully it's a shonisaurus! It's my favorite marine reptile or a shastasaurus or good, or both. PNSO or any other brand can make a shonisaurus and shastasaurus figure of a quality and size that will make that figure totally unsurpassed for many years and even decades. I have confidence in the PNSO, Collecta, Safari or IToy brand.

I wouldn't mind those a bit! Except truthfully I wouldn't trust them to IToy.

Quote from: JimoAi on December 06, 2021, 11:51:35 AM
I'm assuming the 2013 favorite co one works more as cryptoclidus

Perhaps! I'm not especially knowledgeable about plesiosaurs, but at a glance the proportions do look to be a better match for Cryptoclidus.

And now, my first new Paleozoic critter in almost 3 months!

Rheic Ctenacanthus
Scale: 1:4 - 1:6
Released: 2021
Upper Devonian - Lower Carboniferous
Rheic caught my attention last year when they released a Xiphactinus, although I didn't buy it because I'd just landed the more accurate FaunaCasts version. This is the first model from them I couldn't resist, an important and well-preserved Paleozoic shark. Unfortunately, it arrived broken. I think I can repair it, but I'm annoyed that I have to. The figure has a roughly okay overall shape; however, the anterior dorsal fin (even when intact) is too sharply angled, and the posterior dorsal is too shallowly angled. The anal fin is missing, and the pectorals are probably too long. It looks like they took a lot of inspiration from Cladoselache, but at least the fin spines are correctly circular in cross-section, although missing the characteristic serrations.

It comes with a little metal rod and a base, but it's poorly balanced and I'm going to have to find some other way to display it. It's at least possible that the balance will improve once the missing bits of the caudal and dorsal fin are glued on.

Chasing some mid-sized placoderms. It was itself food to larger placoderms.

The base looks reasonably nice. There are some marks that look like print lines, so I guess this was digitally modeled. There are two minuscule fish and some unidentifiable white blobs. The closest match to these fish I could find was the stem-actinopterygian Kentuckia which came from some of the same formations, but it's not really that good a match and would be wildly out of scale. Between these nondescript fish and the blank nameplate, I wonder if Rheic reused this base from a previous release. LaNa markets the shark as 1:35, and that would work better for the little fish, but Ctenacanthus was nowhere near this large. A 1:35 Titanichthys would be about the size of the shark model.

And, because it was requested on the comparison photo thread, a gratuitous shot of most of my orthocerids orthoconic nautiloids:
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

What a beautiful collection of prehistoric fish and invertebrates, that ctenacanthus is colossal, I really like your page for your great wisdom, your images of new acquisitions with your scientific notes are unsurpassed.

Hopefully customers of toy dinosaur figures and companies take more affection for fish, invertebrates and other prehistoric marine animals that are not the reptiles of the Mesozoic and thus we can / can you swell your collection especially of primitive fish.

Halichoeres

Thanks for the kind words, Shonisaurus! All in all, this has been an unusually good year for prehistoric fish. I've picked up seven this year between various toy and model lines!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

JimoAi

Favorite Co Geosternbergia (Soft Model Series 1, sold as Pteranodon)
Scale: 1:40
Sculptor: Takashi Oda
Released: 2004
Santonian-Campanian of North America
For the most part, the 2013 series of Favorite prehistorics failed to improve on the 2004 series. This one is no exception, although I never made it a high priority to replace the 2013 version, which I've had for several years. I found the stand for sale cheap at Urzeitshop, and I bought it thinking it could be useful for any number of figures. Miron very kindly included the figure along with it. So now it replaces the 2013 Favorite version and I no longer have any from that series left in my collection.

Nice! I made the right choice of purchasing the older pteranodon figure over the new one with only a premium of ¥500 for the old one. Love how it's the perfect size for my collection in terms of wingspan and how tiny the 3 hand fingers are and the head looks better proportioned than the new one but I feel it's still a but too short and the only thing I find better in the new one is the paint and the new one having the top of the beak being longer than the bottom. I plan to resculpt the head later this week!

Shonisaurus

That Favorite pteranodon I never found with this base or set, I found only the figure. It is an acceptable figure and Favorite sincerely strives positively to model such finished and above all so elegantly sculpted pterosaurs.

Crackington

Lovely shark figure avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres - just wondering if those "Kentuckia" might be meant to be juveniles,  perhaps hiding away in a reef? Nice little detail if so...

Halichoeres

avatar_JimoAi @JimoAi Yeah, in general I think the 2004 editions are nicer than the 2013 ones. I think this one might have too small a head, however. I hope I'll see your modifications in the 'custom figures' section of the forum!

avatar_Crackington @Crackington Perhaps so, although they are not really shaped correctly even for that. I continue to suspect that this base was repurposed from a previous model, although I haven't looked through all of Rheic's bases.

And now: cerapods of the Cretaceous!

PNSO Olorotitan
Scale: 1:30
Sculptor: Zhao Chuang or someone in his workshop
Maastrichtian of Eurasia
Another very graceful hadrosaur from PNSO. It's a very see-who's-upwind pose, inherently unstable, so I'm glad PNSO included the little stand. I'd love to see them try their hand at some committed bipedal ornithischians like Jeholosaurus. This figure replaces the CollectA version.

Hey dummy, he's right behind you!

Xidi (Happy Kin) Koreaceratops
Scale: 1:7 - 1:8
Released: 2020
Albian of Eurasia
The last of my recent Happy Kin dinosaurs. I bought two boxed sets and thought I would be getting an Abelisaurus, but that turns out to be in a third boxed set, and I don't think I care enough to ship another of these giant parcels. If anyone has one to trade, I'm listening.

The universal scale bar.

unknown Achelousaurus
Scale: maybe 1:20
Campanian of North America
I saw this on eBay and was intrigued enough to pick it up. The seller listed it as Kid Galaxy, a North American company that distributes Xidi/Happy Kin but also items from other manufacturers. I don't think this is Happy Kin, for a couple of reasons. There is no genus name inscribed on it, which Happy Kins don't always have but usually do, and it says "Made in Indonesia," which is a first for me. Happy Kins always say "Made in China" when they bear a visible country stamp. I wonder if Vitae will ever get around to releasing their version of this genus, as both this one and CollectA's are a little crude.

It also came with this Majungasaurus, which is probably nicer than CollectA's, and definitely nicer than Mattel's, but superfluous given the imminent release of the Wild Past version. Both of these action figures had a slight objectionable odor to them on unpacking, not sure why.

Creative Beast Torosaurus latus
Scale: 1:16
Sculptor: Jake Baardse
Maastrichtian of North America
Having a bit of bad luck lately, maybe because delivery people are so harried around the holidays. I understand why Creative Beast wanted to get things delivered by Christmas, but personally I'd have just as soon waited and gotten this intact. It's a bummer, but I'm not super worried about it; I expect FedEx insurance will make it square. Once that happens, it replaces the Toyway version.

Creative Beast Utahceratops gettyi
Scale: 1:18
Sculptor: David Silva with Simon Panek
This one survived the trip a bit better. I was a bit more on the fence with this one--CollectA's is serviceable, and much closer to my preferred scale, but the Gila monster colors won over this desert rat.

Creative Beast Albertaceratops nesmoi
Scale: 1:13
Sculptor: David Silva with Simon Panek
Another stunner. This is a centrosaurine, so it's a little odd that they included the same stumpy tail that comes with the chasmosaurines, but hey, maybe there was more variation in tail length than we know. Most of these new ceratopsids are just based on parietals anyhow.

All my intact BotM ceratopsians wishing you a happy Festivus.

Faelrin

Shame about your Torosaurus. At least the rest of the arrivals came safe. Happy holidays. What a charming display as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Grimbeard

- The Olorotitan might have the best color scheme and pose out of all PNSO ornithopods, really like the pose as well.

- Koreaceratops with a tail sail/fluke instead of the usuall quills looks kinda strange, shame since the rest of the model look really nice.

- 2022 might be a great year for Wild Past, although im looking forward to the finished, painted  Scutosaurus & Kotlassia even more.

- Shame about the shipping damage, but thats a risk you always have to take when ordering online. At least the other ones are OK.

I feel so conflicted about the entire BoTM lines. The models and bold colors are extraordinarily good and the articulations offer so many pose option, but on the other hand the articulation naturally also breaks the shape up quite a bit and the 1:18 (1:6 for the raptors) is way too big for my regualar collections size. Maybe I will bite the bullet and get some for my "off-scale" collection in my living room cabinet.

ceratopsian

What a shame about the Torosaurus. I'm conflicted on ordering that one as it's so blue. The Utahceratops looks quite amazing. And as always, your photography skills enhance the models.

Strepsodus

Great figures as always. I've already tracked down Toyway's Torosaurus, so I'm staying with that one. In terms of a figures coloration, I try to be as open minded as possible, but some things still have a hard time getting by me

CarnotaurusKing

Merry Christmas, and good haul! That Achelousaurus is an odd one, no doubt, and it's a shame about that Torosaurus. Hope it gets fixed. I hope I can pick up the Utahceratops somewhere down the line. The adult Triceratops was recently delivered to me, though since I am not in the country at the moment, I cannot see it  :'(
Honestly, the Torosaurus is divisive for me. While it has a phenomenal sculpt, the bright blue color-scheme, and the apocryphal keratinous face really don't do it for me. Not really sure why that hypothesis gained as much traction as it did. Also I like having all my organs  ::) Can't wait for the rumoured PNSO one.

Eocarcharia

Another great round of additions! The Koreaceratops and Achelousaurus are interesting. Will the Koreaceratops coexist in your collection with the CollectA family?
I'm partial to my Sega vinyl Achelousaurus, though it is the only one of the species I own. I'd love to see it enter the Beasts of the Mesozoic Ceratopsian series. And speaking of BOTM, it's always a treat seeing those figures (even if some have suffered accidents.) I still have no idea which figures of Wave 3 to get, they all look so good! I suppose your criteria for collecting makes it an easier decision.
Happy holidays!

Sim

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: