News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

What is that Stegouros comparison pic with? The Egyptian god Ammut?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Primeval12

Quote from: BlueKrono on March 06, 2024, 04:06:40 AMWhat is that Stegouros comparison pic with? The Egyptian god Ammut?

No, that would be Pristichampsus.

It's Armadillosuchus

BlueKrono

Quote from: Primeval12 on March 06, 2024, 04:47:45 AM
Quote from: BlueKrono on March 06, 2024, 04:06:40 AMWhat is that Stegouros comparison pic with? The Egyptian god Ammut?

It's Armadillosuchus

Cool. I don't see it anywhere else on avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres's thread though. And the picture you posted doesn't show up for me.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Primeval12

It's the Armadillosuchus in the picture. I linked the Primeval one in the picture because it resembled/inspired Ammut in the show.

ceratopsian

"Homely" is a beautifully chosen adjective.

BlueKrono

Quote from: BlueKrono on March 06, 2024, 06:20:19 AM
Quote from: Primeval12 on March 06, 2024, 04:47:45 AM

It's Armadillosuchus

Cool. I don't see it anywhere else on avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres's thread though. And the picture you posted doesn't show up for me.
Quote from: Primeval12 on March 06, 2024, 06:51:09 AMIt's the Armadillosuchus in the picture. I linked the Primeval one in the picture because it resembled/inspired Ammut in the show.

Ah, gotcha. Found it: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.msg228129#msg228129

Thanks for the guidance.

Concavenator

Great to see Tlatolophus receiving a bit of attention when figures are concerned. I wasn't sure it was going to be a shoo-in for a figure, considering it's not a big carcharodontosaurid or tyrannosauroid, so figured I'd grab Ancestors' (which is also very nice, but costs a buck or two more than HLG's!). I guess hadrosaurIDs are not that neglected, even if saurolophines, especially non-Edmontosaurus ones, are a bit more so.

I also prefer the black variant of HLG's Kosmoceratops. And yeah, that's the "downside" of Creative Beast's figures, for any largish species, they end up being sizeable figures at 1:18. For a collector who just buys a few species they could be feasible, but for someone with a collection as massive as yours, no wonder you'd rather have something the size of HLG's figure instead. I bet you're hoping for someone to release 1:35ish figures of the remaining BotM ceratopsians you have (particularly Albertaceratops and Utahceratops!).  ;)

I like CollectA's Stegouros more than Safari's, but its size is prohibitive. So eventually I'll go with Safari's instead, which is also very nice. And speaking of Watson's thyreophorans, another species that would be amazing to see is Scutellosaurus. For Scelidosaurus, at least Wild Past had/has plans to release one, so there's that.

And BTW, I don't know what's with CollectA and those sizes... Had the Dearc been smaller, I might have been interested, too... I mean, I know there are people who like to have their figures as close to life-sized as possible, but for me, these huge figures from CollectA just have to be a pass for size reasons.

bmathison1972

Ooooooo I am excited for that Safari Stegouros!!! I will get it when 1) Safari gets something else to justify $25 minimum purchase or 2) HHT gets it.

bmathison1972

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 07, 2024, 12:41:30 PMOoooooo I am excited for that Safari Stegouros!!! I will get it when 1) Safari gets something else to justify $25 minimum purchase or 2) HHT gets it.

CORRECTION: Just went to Safari's website and the Everglades TOOB is IN!!! (did you see that avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi ?). OK, so I just now ordered said TOOB, Stegouros, and Kentrosaurus.

SBell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 07, 2024, 12:41:30 PMOoooooo I am excited for that Safari Stegouros!!! I will get it when 1) Safari gets something else to justify $25 minimum purchase or 2) HHT gets it.

The minimum for Canada is $140 for free shipping...think I'll wait for MiniZoo! Shouldn't be too long

Primeval12

I just notice that Safari's Stegouros gets the tail armor a little bit wrong.

Notice how the tail armor merges in the fossil but not on the figure.

So in that sense, CollectA's does a better job (actually, Mattel's too in terms of the tail alone). I like both figures though.

Faelrin

avatar_PrimevalRaptor @PrimevalRaptor To be fair, Mattel's also lacks the full number of blades, spikes, or whatever on the tail (intentionally or otherwise), never-mind the body, but that said thanks for pointing that out. I still find the figure very nice despite that (and I also adore the Mattel one), particularly the coloration, which reminds me of a clownfish or some snakes. I think the tail could be wider too on the Safari Ltd comparing it to the fossil material? No big deal though. 

Doug is pretty good about researching things prior to sculpting, so I find it hard to believe he missed that detail when working on it (I mean I remember him setting me straight with evidence/paper for early synapsid and pelycosaurs I think, having scales, way back when I thought otherwise was the case for the Dimetrodon he did). I'm wondering if this could be a factory adjustment?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Primeval12

Quote from: Faelrin on March 08, 2024, 06:59:50 AMavatar_PrimevalRaptor @PrimevalRaptor To be fair, Mattel's also lacks the full number of blades, spikes, or whatever on the tail (intentionally or otherwise), never-mind the body, but that said thanks for pointing that out. I still find the figure very nice despite that (and I also adore the Mattel one), particularly the coloration, which reminds me of a clownfish or some snakes. I think the tail could be wider too on the Safari Ltd comparing it to the fossil material? No big deal though.

Doug is pretty good about researching things prior to sculpting, so I find it hard to believe he missed that detail when working on it (I mean I remember him setting me straight with evidence/paper for early synapsid and pelycosaurs I think, having scales, way back when I thought otherwise was the case for the Dimetrodon he did). I'm wondering if this could be a factory adjustment?

I just meant the tail for the Mattel. Ya the Safari one is the best looking sculpt despite this! Doug Watson always makes a great sculpt!

bmathison1972

that's a pretty minor, relatively inconspicuous detail

Halichoeres

Thanks to everyone who stopped by and left a note!

Quote from: Primeval12 on March 06, 2024, 03:19:25 AMI want a pet Stegouros. That is all.

It would be an excellent pet with the right precautions. Maybe styrofoam balls cut in half and glued to the tail osteoderms.

Quote from: triceratops83 on March 06, 2024, 03:21:31 AMA very nice selection, even the Craterosaurus, which I highly doubt you will be able to replace any time soon due it its obscurity. If you're going to keep the CollectA Stegouros, does that mean you will get rid of the Safari one? Or just put it aside for now?

I suspect you're right that the Craterosaurus is here for good. My money is on the Hesperosaurus being the first Mattel stegosaur out the door due to replacement. As for Stegouros, for now I think I'll keep both, since they liven up different shelves. I don't mind having two of something if they're very different scales. My bet is someone will one day make a miniature of one (Kaiyodo, or CollectA for a mini box), and at that point I would probably bid farewell to the larger one.

Quote from: ceratopsian on March 06, 2024, 09:45:24 AM"Homely" is a beautifully chosen adjective.

Heh, thanks.

Quote from: Faelrin on March 06, 2024, 03:34:24 AMThank you for the stack of Stegouros. I was wondering how the other two sized up with the Mattel one.
Thought you might find that useful. I'm supposed to be reviewing the CollectA Stegouros for the blog and I'm very late. Maybe this photo will make it in.

Glad the Armadillosuchus mystery is solved. Sorry, I should have included the ID in the caption. I thought it an appropriate choice given they both lived in South America around the same time. Not sure how, but I was not familiar with that particular deity!

Interesting about the Stegouros tail. I think there's latitude for interpretation on especially the first two pairs of tail osteoderms, although I agree the more posterior ones should be pretty cheek-by-jowl. But overall, fairly minor detail.

Quote from: SBell on March 07, 2024, 07:40:59 PMThe minimum for Canada is $140 for free shipping...think I'll wait for MiniZoo! Shouldn't be too long

Oof. Good trade-off for...um, Tim Hortons?

Quote from: Concavenator on March 07, 2024, 10:26:54 AMGreat to see Tlatolophus receiving a bit of attention when figures are concerned. I wasn't sure it was going to be a shoo-in for a figure, considering it's not a big carcharodontosaurid or tyrannosauroid, so figured I'd grab Ancestors' (which is also very nice, but costs a buck or two more than HLG's!). I guess hadrosaurIDs are not that neglected, even if saurolophines, especially non-Edmontosaurus ones, are a bit more so.

I also prefer the black variant of HLG's Kosmoceratops. And yeah, that's the "downside" of Creative Beast's figures, for any largish species, they end up being sizeable figures at 1:18. For a collector who just buys a few species they could be feasible, but for someone with a collection as massive as yours, no wonder you'd rather have something the size of HLG's figure instead. I bet you're hoping for someone to release 1:35ish figures of the remaining BotM ceratopsians you have (particularly Albertaceratops and Utahceratops!).  ;)

I like CollectA's Stegouros more than Safari's, but its size is prohibitive. So eventually I'll go with Safari's instead, which is also very nice. And speaking of Watson's thyreophorans, another species that would be amazing to see is Scutellosaurus. For Scelidosaurus, at least Wild Past had/has plans to release one, so there's that.

And BTW, I don't know what's with CollectA and those sizes... Had the Dearc been smaller, I might have been interested, too... I mean, I know there are people who like to have their figures as close to life-sized as possible, but for me, these huge figures from CollectA just have to be a pass for size reasons.

Edit 12 March:
avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Thanks for your always-thoughtful comments, sorry I neglected replying before now. As for the other BotM ceratopsians, I wouldn't say I'm actively wishing for replacements, but I'll probably take them as they come. And now that BotM is mostly doing more common species instead of deep dives on particular families, their share of my collection will inexorably shrink.

CollectA is definitely a bit idiosyncratic when it comes to sizes! The pterosaurs would work better for me in a larger size, for sure. But hey, I'll take a good pterosaur where I can get it, since most companies will only make Quetzalcoatlus and Pteranodon, if they deign to do pterosaurs at all.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

triceratops83

Hesperosaurus would be a good choice for Safari to make.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Halichoeres

Saurischians of the Cretaceous!

Haolonggood Alamosaurus
Scale: 1:35
Released: 2024
Maastrichtian of North America
Etymology: Spanish/Gr. "[Ojo] Alamo [Formation] lizard;" "álamo" means poplar (in this region probably an aspen or cottonwood)
A majestic figure befitting a majestic animal. Scale estimates are based on larger referred specimens rather than the holotype, but anyway it's in the plausible range for gigantic titanosaurs.

It doesn't fit in my normal photo setup, so it's in my less-brightly-lit dining room. Not as tall as the W-Dragon Giraffatitan, but definitely bulkier.

But it will live closer to this little buddy on the shelf. This replaces the old CollectA Alamosaurus.

The base has subtle divots for each foot. It's nice enough, but honestly I could have done without it. I might end up selling it if anyone wants it on its own.

The base of the tree trunk is magnetic, and fits into this little slot. This is a really nice design; if it were the base of a live and identifiably prehistoric tree that would be enough to compel me to keep the whole tableau.

I'm less impressed with the aquarium fern.

Alamosaurus also came with this little pterosaur, Nyctosaurus I'd guess. I think it's 3D printed; the texture feels like PLA.

This is a good demonstration that a not everything really works in 1:35. It's a great scale for very large animals, but companies being too rigid about it means they're never going to be able to do justice to the overwhelming majority of life on Earth. I think this is fine as an accessory, and as such drives home the enormous scale of the sauropod. But I do hope Haolonggood eventually makes smaller animals at a larger scale.

Qualia Fukuivenator
Scale: 1:17
Released: 2023
Aptian of Eurasia
Etymology: Japanese/L. "Fukui [Prefecture] hunter"
Shortly after a reanalysis of Fukuivenator found affinities with therizinosaurs, both Takara Tomy and Qualia released new figures. I bought the Takara Tomy, which was first, but never bothered to open it because by the time I received it this one had been revealed. Overall I think this Qualia version is a nicer figure, and nicer than the Favorite Co. version that it replaces. It's a plausible reconstruction of a slender early therizinosauroid.

The paint work could be better, though. The eyes are hard to make out, and there's a fair amount of slop around the mouth. Not sure if other people's copies suffered the same way. Anyway, my first Qualia figure!

Scales nicely with some of my other Fukui animals.

Chap Mei Siats
Scale: 1:14
Released: 2023?
Cenomanian of North America
Etymology: Ute, evidently a monster from their folklore
Unusually, Chap Mei actually identifies this animal by name on their web site. I'm not much of a Chap Mei collector, but the Mattel version is so abominable that this one is preferable. Like Siats the animal, Siats the Chap Mei action figure is kind of a mess of coelurosaur and allosauroid traits. Mattel's has all kinds of features that we wouldn't expect any theropod to have, so this duly replaces it. For fun, if you press the open wound on its side, it roars and its eyes flash. Batteries included, the height of luxury.

Suskityrannus: [whispering] "You wanna ditch this weirdo?"
Moros: "I wish, but we were named by the same research team so I have to be nice to him."

Safari Majungasaurus
Scale: 1:20
Sculptor: Doug Watson
Released: 2023
Maastrichtian of Madagascar
Etymology: Malagasy/Gr. "Mahajanga lizard" (Mahajanga is transliterated as "Majunga" in French)
A fun fact about the city of Mahajanga: it has a baobab tree with a circumference of 21 meters, absolutely mind-boggling. Anyway, this is a pretty nice abelisaurid figure, which I had passed on because I was anticipating the release of Wild Past's version, closer to my scale preferences for big animals. I buckled and bought this one when the Stegouros became available; it got me to the free shipping limit and it's a much nicer figure than the CollectA version that it replaces. If the Wild Past version ever materializes, I might trade in again.

Most companies will only make an abelisaur if its head has weird lumps on it (Mattel and DeAgostini aside).

As always, additional comparison photos on request, if I can manage it.

Quote from: triceratops83 on March 10, 2024, 06:25:52 AMHesperosaurus would be a good choice for Safari to make.
I'd buy it!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

That new Majungasaurus compliments the Carnotaurus very nicely.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Primeval12

Now someone needs to make a proper Simosuchus for the Majunga to chase...

ceratopsian

I hadn't realised the pterosaur freebie was so tiny - thanks for the comparison shot!  I chose the same colour scheme for the Alamosaurus as you, but mine isn't coming till next week as I can't be in till then during the day to receive the parcel.  I strongly agree with you that it would be great if Haolonggood made smaller taxa at a larger scale.  My collection feels incomplete without their presence.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: