News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 07, 2024, 11:35:29 PMIt's a little surprising to me that there aren't more figures of this animal--it's huge, well-preserved, and reasonably distinctive. But then again, there hasn't been a decent Shonisaurus in 20 years.
Good point about Shonisaurus, although it is a relatively recent discovery, the nearly complete specimen of Cymbospondylus petrinus was discovered over 100 years ago!  And there isn't a good figure of it still. :(  I have been using the large PNSO Himalayasaurus as a cymbospondylid-like ichthyosaur, but seeing an actual toy of Cymbospondylus in your post, even if it is of that quality, makes me realise I want a Cymbospondylus figure.  Very much.  I'll keep the PNSO Himalayasaurus but I want to have a Cymbospondylus figure too.

Faelrin

I think ichthyosaurs beyond Ichthyosaurus itself is pretty neglected. There have been a few other over the years, but mostly from CollectA and PNSO recently. Dinotoycollector currently has 33 figures within Ichthyosauria up there. Pales in comparison to the number of plesiosaur figures (actually I don't think mosasaurs have good rep either, aside from Mosasaurus and Tylosaurus, never mind any other marine reptiles).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Primeval12

Glad to help contribute to the collection and glad to see the Guaibasaurus arrive ok! Also some of those Triassic reptiles look quite cool. I may have to track them down...

Concavenator

Animal Planet's Atopodentatus somehow reminds me of PNSO's...  :P

At this point, I think we can only expect a good new Shonisaurus from CollectA. At least they made Temnodontosaurus, Excalibosaurus and Shastasaurus. And Shonisaurus is probably more famous than those genera, so it might have its chances.

BTW, do you plan on getting Haolonggood's Stegosaurus? I was wondering about that, since it's a different species to the Safari version you have.

Halichoeres

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

Quote from: Sim on June 08, 2024, 12:16:10 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on June 07, 2024, 11:35:29 PMIt's a little surprising to me that there aren't more figures of this animal--it's huge, well-preserved, and reasonably distinctive. But then again, there hasn't been a decent Shonisaurus in 20 years.
Good point about Shonisaurus, although it is a relatively recent discovery, the nearly complete specimen of Cymbospondylus petrinus was discovered over 100 years ago!  And there isn't a good figure of it still. :(  I have been using the large PNSO Himalayasaurus as a cymbospondylid-like ichthyosaur, but seeing an actual toy of Cymbospondylus in your post, even if it is of that quality, makes me realise I want a Cymbospondylus figure.  Very much.  I'll keep the PNSO Himalayasaurus but I want to have a Cymbospondylus figure too.

Shonisaurus is only 50 years old, but I think it's more famous, by about 2:1 according to the number of search engine results. I'd be happy to see either get made in a respectable format!

Quote from: Faelrin on June 08, 2024, 03:08:48 AMI think ichthyosaurs beyond Ichthyosaurus itself is pretty neglected. There have been a few other over the years, but mostly from CollectA and PNSO recently. Dinotoycollector currently has 33 figures within Ichthyosauria up there. Pales in comparison to the number of plesiosaur figures (actually I don't think mosasaurs have good rep either, aside from Mosasaurus and Tylosaurus, never mind any other marine reptiles).

What I'd really like to see are some thalattosaurs. So weird-looking, but they never reached the size of a bus, so most people don't care about 'em!

Quote from: Primeval12 on June 08, 2024, 12:33:30 PMGlad to help contribute to the collection and glad to see the Guaibasaurus arrive ok! Also some of those Triassic reptiles look quite cool. I may have to track them down...

I appreciate the assist! And its companion piece will turn up in the next update. As for these Triassic guys, be warned that the DeAgostini ones are not very durable. My Pistosaurus is desiccated and the rubber is starting to crack (I've had it about five years). Granted, it's on a pretty exposed shelf, but still. And for whatever reason these never appeared on DeAgostini's Italian site, I had to order them from French eBay. The Dinocephalosaurus should be more durable and several Chinese sellers offer it.

Quote from: Concavenator on June 08, 2024, 09:22:19 PMAnimal Planet's Atopodentatus somehow reminds me of PNSO's...  :P

At this point, I think we can only expect a good new Shonisaurus from CollectA. At least they made Temnodontosaurus, Excalibosaurus and Shastasaurus. And Shonisaurus is probably more famous than those genera, so it might have its chances.

BTW, do you plan on getting Haolonggood's Stegosaurus? I was wondering about that, since it's a different species to the Safari version you have.

Ha yeah, it really does take after PNSO's Atopodentatus, or they're both based on the same artwork.

I do think I'll get HLG's Stegosaurus. S. ungulatus looks quite distinct from S. stenops. If you had two theropods or ceratopsians that looked that different, they'd probably be in separate genera!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Primeval12

I need to get that S. ungulatus considering there's one at the Peabody and I can take a photo like this one I did with the Poposaurus!

Concavenator

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 11, 2024, 05:30:49 AMS. ungulatus looks quite distinct from S. stenops. If you had two theropods or ceratopsians that looked that different, they'd probably be in separate genera!

Definitely! I'd say S. stenops and S. ungulatus are easier to tell apart than Albertosaurus/Gorgosaurus, for example.

Primeval12

Question? Have you considered using the Kenner "hatchling" Lycaenops instead of the one in your collection? It looks more like an actual full-grown Lycaenops. The Adult just resembles a generic Gorgonopsid (I use it as the Primeval one).

triceratops83

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 11, 2024, 05:30:49 AMI do think I'll get HLG's Stegosaurus. S. ungulatus looks quite distinct from S. stenops. If you had two theropods or ceratopsians that looked that different, they'd probably be in separate genera!

In the latest Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs, Gregory S Paul splits S. ungulatus into a different genus - he informally calls it Stegotitanus. It's weird what he chooses to lump or split.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Flaffy

Quote from: triceratops83 on June 18, 2024, 05:19:09 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on June 11, 2024, 05:30:49 AMI do think I'll get HLG's Stegosaurus. S. ungulatus looks quite distinct from S. stenops. If you had two theropods or ceratopsians that looked that different, they'd probably be in separate genera!

In the latest Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs, Gregory S Paul splits S. ungulatus into a different genus - he informally calls it Stegotitanus. It's weird what he chooses to lump or split.

I've heard that GSP has a habit of doing his own thing when it comes to phylogeny. Some of his proposals are certainly not widely accepted by the wider paleontological community.