News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Theropods of the Cretaceous

Mattel Altispinax (=Becklespinax)
Scale: 1:10 - 1:15
Released: 2024
Valanginian of Eurasia
Etymology: L. "high spine"
One of the nicer recent theropod designs from Mattel. I wasn't originally going to buy it, but I stumbled across it during a sale at Target and succumbed to temptation. Now that it's in hand, I have to say it's quite a bit nicer than Geoworld's version.

The only part of the animal that's known, and what I based my scale calculation on.

Creative Beast Achillobator (Beasts of the Mesozoic)
Scale: 1:12
Sculptors: Jake Baardse and Raul Ramos
Cenomanian - Turonian of Eurasia
Etymology: Gr./Mongolian "Achilles hero"
This is an absolutely stunning figure. The sculpt and the paint work are phenomenal. The left wing pops off at the elbow if you look at it funny, unfortunately. The ruff on the neck is loose--I don't know how I feel about that. I guess it usually doesn't matter. My scale calculation is based on the femur, which is one of the most complete elements of the skeleton.

Jeez, look at this thing.

Food fight.

I pre-ordered the Utahraptor along with the Achillobator; if I recall correctly it was before Safari had released theirs. Like the Achillobator, it's gorgeous, but I generally don't prefer action figures, and I especially don't like them to be fragile.

Moreover, I think the head sculpt on the Safari version is more accurate, if less detailed. So I think I'll stick with the Safari for accuracy, scale, and peace-of-mind reasons.

CollectA Nanuqsaurus
Scale: 1:25 for the holotype, 1:35 for speculative larger individuals
Sculptor: Matthias Geiger
Maastrichtian of North America
Etymology: Inupiaq/Gr. "polar bear lizard"
I bought this shortly before Safari announced their version, but I'm not keen to buy a tyrannosaur twice in one year, so I think I'll stick with the CollectA. I think the head is better, although the tail seems a big long to me. But hey, it's an animal with a lot of unknown anatomy, so it's hard to say that's really inaccurate. This is, I think, the first Nanuqsaurus figure sold under its own name. It replaces the Golden Link WWD "Gorgon."

With its sometime congener.

Mesozoic Life Spinosaurus
Scale: 1:25
Sculptor: Jake Baardse
Released: 2021 2022 2023 2024
Cenomanian of Africa
I pledged for this in the last hours of the Kickstarter campaign, and I'm on the fence about whether I regret it. It's undoubtedly beautiful, although it is pretty extraneous in my collection and I certainly won't keep it in the long run.

The reason I pledged was the roster of additional animals that Mesozoic Life aspired to make, particularly Herrerasaurus. If the hard lessons of this campaign lead to a line of well-made figures from a seasoned team, then it will have been worth it. If not, well, then I guess this will have good resale value.

There's been some furor about the toes, but I'm not sure I see an error here. Webbing on bird feet is sometimes less obvious when the foot is less splayed. I don't know if the appearance here is by design, maybe somebody who followed it more closely can enlighten me.

Hilariously, the belly says "2020."

The base is simple but nice enough. The figure will not stand without it.

It's a nice looking head. The seam is somewhat prominent, but not as bad as if the jaw had been articulated.

I figured this would be the most useful comparison, even though wildly out of scale. I figure everybody knows how big this rex is.

TNG Sinosauropteryx
Scale: 1:4
Barremian - Aptian of Eurasia
Etymology: Gr. "Chinese lizard wing"
My first TNG figure. Some of the prehistoric mammals they've made have been nice, but they're out of my purview. This one isn't bad, lets you really get a feel for Sinosauropteryx more so than the miniatures by PNSO or Kaiyodo. I like having small animals in a small scale for display with larger contemporaries, and in a larger scale to appreciate the animal in its own right, so I'll keep the PNSO one for now as well. The box has a retail price printed on it equivalent to about $28 US. Obviously I paid more than that, but it's somehow comforting to know that it's expensive even in its own country.

The figure is a little off-center from the dragonfly, maybe it's planning to grab it with a sideways snap.

The dragonfly itself is kind of unremarkable. In this sense it's the reverse of Rebor's compy: a well-done dinosaur with a lackluster insect. It vaguely resembles a darner (Aeshnidae), but it's nowhere near detailed enough for a genus-level ID.

The foot inserts into the base by means of three flanges at slightly different angles, matching three slots in the base. This should be a pretty stable arrangement, but time will tell.

With Papo's compy and Mattel's Sinornithoides.

Quote from: SidB on August 20, 2024, 12:09:49 PMThen there is the Babe Ruth approach. He addressed everyone as "Kiddo".

Maybe that's why he was so successful. Work smarter, not harder.

Quote from: Concavenator on August 20, 2024, 10:55:36 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 24, 2024, 06:40:17 AMSince it was a Kickstarter, I don't think I can cancel my preorder. I'll compare them when I have them both in hand and make a decision then. Of course, by then there will be other Dilophosaurus figures!

Hey you were right, there have indeed been more Dilophosaurus figures! Firstly, the Recur one, which, based on what we've seen of it, looks like it could beat HLG's in the accuracy department by virtue of possessing a (seemingly) more elongated torso. And then the new Schleich, which, as bad as it is, still appears to have a relatively long torso and lips, which the HLG doesn't (of course, it doesn't even come close otherwise  ::) ).

And BTW, I'm very much looking forward to your HLG/Cyberzoic Dilophosaurus comparison!

Hey, the Recur one doesn't look too bad. A bit large for my taste, but nice enough. Recur is getting to a point where they're finally worth paying attention to with their ordinary releases (that is, not the museum-exclusive Sinosaurus).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stegotyranno420

Wait, you bought a Mattel Theropod and a Spinosaurus without the fish???

We are living in strange times.

Okay but seriously, congrats on the stunning figures especially the Spinosaurus and Achilobator.

And thanks for the Feathered Tyrannosaurus comparison, I was gonna ask someone else but you got it covered 👍🏻

Concavenator

Congrats on that batch!

Yeah, that fishless Spinosaurus certainly took me by surprise as well!  ;D  I didn't get it (nor any other Spinosaurus figure, for that matter), considering all the anatomic and taxonomic uncertainties around Spinosaurus (and also just how controversial the animal is, overall). But at least, back then I did my best to let people know about the campaign on social media, so I'd like to think I contributed a little to their success, even if indirectly.

Like you, I'd love to see a Herrerasaurus by them, although if this video (minute 4:19) is anything to go for, we could probably be expecting a Concavenator next from them (if their figure series ever continues, hopefully that is the case).

Oh, and Kevin wasn't the sculptor, I believe he's the owner of the brand. The sculptor was Jacob Baardse (source: their Kickstarter page).

I would do the same with Utahraptor too. The BotM is very nice, but so is the Safari, and it's not like the BotM is giving you any advantage when it comes to accuracy. By contrast, I think the differences between the Cyberzoic and the Haolonggood Dilophosaurus clearly make the former the better choice, from an accuracy standpoint anyways, unless its action-figure-nature is a dealbreaker.

The BotM Achillobator and CollectA's Nanuqsaurus are nice figures too, even if the genera themselves are poorly-understood, as you mentioned. I'm kinda surprised David chose Achillobator as "the other, non-Utahraptor, large dromaeosaurid" instead of Austroraptor. Maybe he didn't because it couldn't really share its body with Utahraptor? Anyways, good to see Safari fixed this!

Great to see Sinosauropteryx receiving more attention, no matter how important it is, that is the sort of animal we currently wouldn't be seeing in a million years coming from PNSO, and most surely HLG or Eofauna as well. But it represents a critically important paleontological discovery, enough so that it should warrant a fair bit of attention. I'd ordered that Sinosauropteryx too, but since I've been on vacation, I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet.  :P Not sure what I'll do with it. On one hand, I like it and I think it's the best Sinosauropteryx figure yet, but on the other, it appears to be pretty big. I'm wondering whether to keep the TNG or somehow get a PNSO one and commission having it repainted with a (more) accurate color scheme. As you, I'd rather not modify existing figures, but I could save a bit of space that way... Hmm... decisions...

P.S. Even if the dragonfly may not be that impressive, I'm certain you still find it more interesting than most of the theropods from the post!  ;)

Primeval12

The Altispinax is the best Jurassic World design so far in my opinion so I'm not surprised you got it. I'm hoping ToyMonster makes a super-sized one so I can have a better-proportioned static version. That being said, I really like the Mattel version. It makes for good photography!

bmathison1972

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on August 27, 2024, 05:46:38 AMWait, you bought a Spinosaurus without the fish???

Hahahaha! Beat me to it!

Flaffy

Re: CollectA Nanuqsaurus
I've been going back and forth on the CollectA Nanuqsaurus, since at the end of the day I do like to have unique species in my collection. Safari's one is out of the question as I don't like how far the teeth extend past the maxilla. I didn't know that the WWD Gorgosaurus actually represents Nanuqsaurus though! I already have the Vivid miniature figure, so I'm guessing I can skip the 2024 offerings?

Re: BotM Achillobator
QuoteThis is an absolutely stunning figure. The sculpt and the paint work are phenomenal. The left wing pops off at the elbow if you look at it funny, unfortunately. The ruff on the neck is loose--I don't know how I feel about that. I guess it usually doesn't matter. My scale calculation is based on the femur, which is one of the most complete elements of the skeleton.

I agree, phenomenal sculpt and paintwork. Hope that the subsequent Cyberzoic releases will fix these issues. I opted to keep my Safari Utahraptor as well, but Achillobator being a separate genus certainly gives me the excuse to acquire this sculpt down the road... ;)

Re: Mesozoic Life Spinosaurus
QuoteThere's been some furor about the toes, but I'm not sure I see an error here. Webbing on bird feet is sometimes less obvious when the foot is less splayed. I don't know if the appearance here is by design, maybe somebody who followed it more closely can enlighten me.

I had suspected something similar too. But since I don't have the figure in-hand yet I am unable to make a final judgement.

Leyster

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy it's more like "it was rebranded as Nanuqsaurus" than "it represent Nanuqsaurus". The remains were referred to Gorgosaurus and Gorgosaurus (Fiorillo & Gangolff, 2010) and the documentary uses Gorgosaurus as a base for the sculpture. Then Nanuqsaurus was named and they renamed it in the DVD edition. I mean, same way as technically every model of WWD 3D can be rebranded as P.perotorum, but it's cleary based on P.lakustai.

Anyway, great acquisitions as ever, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres ! The Mesozoic Life Spinosaurus looks lovely
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Flaffy

Quote from: Leyster on August 27, 2024, 03:11:45 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy it's more like "it was rebranded as Nanuqsaurus" than "it represent Nanuqsaurus". The remains were referred to Gorgosaurus and Gorgosaurus (Fiorillo & Gangolff, 2010) and the documentary uses Gorgosaurus as a base for the sculpture. Then Nanuqsaurus was named and they renamed it in the DVD edition. I mean, same way as technically every model of WWD 3D can be rebranded as P.perotorum, but it's cleary based on P.lakustai.

That explains things quite clearly, many thanks! I guess there is justificaiton for me to add the CollectA Nanuqsaurus to my collection afterall.

Halichoeres

Thanks, everyone! I've updated the first page. I'll also take this opportunity to acknowledge PNSO's Tyrannotitan as the best exemplar of its genus, however superfluous its very existence is. But I don't plan to buy it.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on August 27, 2024, 05:46:38 AMWait, you bought a Mattel Theropod and a Spinosaurus without the fish???

Okay but seriously, congrats on the stunning figures especially the Spinosaurus and Achilobator.

And thanks for the Feathered Tyrannosaurus comparison, I was gonna ask someone else but you got it covered 👍🏻

I actually have a lot of Mattel theropods! I think the count stands at 15, although the Austroraptor will soon be replaced.
Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 27, 2024, 01:16:58 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on August 27, 2024, 05:46:38 AMWait, you bought a Spinosaurus without the fish???

Hahahaha! Beat me to it!

Yeah, as weary as I am of Spinosaurus figures, I viewed it as a vote of support for a new toy line. I'll sell or trade this one at some point, no question. It would have been improved by a fish!

Quote from: Concavenator on August 27, 2024, 11:44:31 AMLike you, I'd love to see a Herrerasaurus by them, although if this video (minute 4:19) is anything to go for, we could probably be expecting a Concavenator next from them (if their figure series ever continues, hopefully that is the case).

Oh, and Kevin wasn't the sculptor, I believe he's the owner of the brand. The sculptor was Jacob Baardse (source: their Kickstarter page).

I'm not super interested in a new Concavenator either, but I'm glad to see that he's pushing ahead to continue the line. Eventually there might be a non-theropod in it!

Thanks for the correction on the sculptor, I'll edit the post.

Quote from: Concavenator on August 27, 2024, 11:44:31 AMGreat to see Sinosauropteryx receiving more attention, no matter how important it is, that is the sort of animal we currently wouldn't be seeing in a million years coming from PNSO, and most surely HLG or Eofauna as well. But it represents a critically important paleontological discovery, enough so that it should warrant a fair bit of attention. I'd ordered that Sinosauropteryx too, but since I've been on vacation, I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet.  :P Not sure what I'll do with it. On one hand, I like it and I think it's the best Sinosauropteryx figure yet, but on the other, it appears to be pretty big. I'm wondering whether to keep the TNG or somehow get a PNSO one and commission having it repainted with a (more) accurate color scheme. As you, I'd rather not modify existing figures, but I could save a bit of space that way... Hmm... decisions...

P.S. Even if the dragonfly may not be that impressive, I'm certain you still find it more interesting than most of the theropods from the post!  ;)

The TNG Sinosauropteryx is definitely hefty. I dunno, I think it's worth it, but your mileage may vary. On the other hand, considering that Kaiyodo sometimes revisits Dinotales figures in their Capsule Q line, they might remake the genus one day, and it's hard to imagine that wouldn't be the nicest version out there. As for the dragonfly, it would overshadow the dino if it were a little nicer, but a bit to my own surprise, I find myself more satisfied with the theropod in this instance!

Quote from: Primeval12 on August 27, 2024, 01:05:06 PMThe Altispinax is the best Jurassic World design so far in my opinion so I'm not surprised you got it. I'm hoping ToyMonster makes a super-sized one so I can have a better-proportioned static version. That being said, I really like the Mattel version. It makes for good photography!

I would be down for a larger ToyMonster version, but I feel like they reserve that treatment for the mainest of the main dinosaurs in the franchise, so I'm not holding my breath. I agree this is a very good design by JW standards.

Quote from: Flaffy on August 27, 2024, 03:33:29 PM
Quote from: Leyster on August 27, 2024, 03:11:45 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy it's more like "it was rebranded as Nanuqsaurus" than "it represent Nanuqsaurus". The remains were referred to Gorgosaurus and Gorgosaurus (Fiorillo & Gangolff, 2010) and the documentary uses Gorgosaurus as a base for the sculpture. Then Nanuqsaurus was named and they renamed it in the DVD edition. I mean, same way as technically every model of WWD 3D can be rebranded as P.perotorum, but it's cleary based on P.lakustai.

That explains things quite clearly, many thanks! I guess there is justificaiton for me to add the CollectA Nanuqsaurus to my collection afterall.

Yep, that's about the size of it. The animals were no doubt very similar, with the possible exception of their integument, who knows on that front I guess. So I had been using the retconned WWD version as a stand-in.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

crazy8wizard

It's worth mentioning too that Nanuqsaurus is known from a partial dentary, some skull fragments, and I think a rib. Any medium sized tyrannosaur (up until recently) would make a decent enough stand in.

Stegotyranno420

Yeah, now that I look back you do have alot.
But I think they mostly monsterized versions of fragmentary theropod taxa, no?(not too familiar mit mattel)
And Im gonna take a guess that isnt exactly your cup of tea  :))

Concavenator

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 28, 2024, 05:08:00 PMI'll also take this opportunity to acknowledge PNSO's Tyrannotitan as the best exemplar of its genus, however superfluous its very existence is. But I don't plan to buy it.

I reckon that's a smart decision. Although thinking about it, Zhuchengtyrannus, Saurophaganax and the so-called "Sinopliosaurus" are in a similar position to Tyrannotitan (carnivorous theropods with rather poor remains, and therefore, unknown appearances), yet you have figures of those. Perhaps you find Tyrannotitan's name particularly irritating (I don't blame you)?

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 28, 2024, 05:08:00 PMThe TNG Sinosauropteryx is definitely hefty. I dunno, I think it's worth it, but your mileage may vary. On the other hand, considering that Kaiyodo sometimes revisits Dinotales figures in their Capsule Q line, they might remake the genus one day, and it's hard to imagine that wouldn't be the nicest version out there.

Yeah, I wager it'd be tempting to replace TNG's Sinosauropteryx with a potential new Kaiyodo's, in case that happens. Not that I find TNG's to be subpar by any means, it's an excellent depiction of the animal (unlike their other dinosaurs), it would simply be nice to have another good depiction of this (important) creature in a smaller size.

Faelrin

I'm rather shocked, and pleased on the quick turn around for you being able to replace that Mattel Austroraptor with the upcoming Safari one. I mean it only came out early last year.

Part of me wants to buy it off your hands when the Safari becomes available (assuming no one else is interested in it), but part of me also knows I shouldn't think about that right now with the situation I'm in, plus how much I owe you still, and other folks.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Primeval12

I have hope for ToyMonster to make one. THey did evenly split Herbivores and Carnivores 50/50 for the 30th anaversery line. They also made an amazing Dilophosaurus!

Halichoeres

Thyreophorans of the Cretaceous!

Haolonggood Euoplocephalus
Scale: 1:30
Campanian of North America
Etymology: Gr. "well-armored head"
There is a little bit of Euoplocephalus and a little bit of Scolosaurus in this, but it's close enough for me and I'm using it as Euoplocephalus. It's a beautiful little figure, demonstrating the weird little foreshortened noggin.

Replaces my Battat version. Haolonggood has replaced a disproportionate number of Battat figures in my collection!

Haolonggood Saichania
Scale: 1:35 - 1:40
Campanian of Eurasia
Etymology: Mongolian сайхан "beautiful"
Mongolia has some of the best ankylosaurs, although I get the impression their taxonomy is a little messy. There have been some nice resin statues of this genus, but this is by far the nicest one that could be called a toy. It's the only one that lives up the genus name.

Replaces my Schleich, which is good by Schleich standards but still, after all, Schleich.

Haolonggood Gastonia
Scale: 1:30
Valanginian of North America
Etymology: after Robert Gaston, a designer of fossil replicas
When I search for Gastonia online, the first result is usually the boring satellite city of the same name outside of Charlotte, North Carolina. That's just not right. I think we should bury it under searches for Gastonia the dinosaur. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with this figure, although I think it runs a bit large for 1:35. Haolonggood tends to recycle color schemes, which might bother me eventually, but doesn't so far because it's not in taxa I'd be displaying together. This won't even be on the same shelf as the similarly colored Euoplocephalus because I have so many ~1:30 Cretaceous animals and they're arranged chronologically.

Replaces the CollectA Gastonia.

It seems like companies make fewer ankylosaurs than other dinosaurs, relative to their diversity. I can imagine that all those osteoderms are pretty intimidating. I'm glad that Haolonggood has been willing to take them on, and I hope we see more in the future!

PNSO Wuerhosaurus
Scale: 1:35
Sculptor: Zhao Chuang or someone in his workshop
Probably Aptian of Eurasia
Etymology: Gr. "Orku [also transliterated "Wuerhe Qu," Karamay, Xinjiang, China] lizard"
This was kind of a tough call. I didn't think I could judge this one against the Haolonggood until I had it in hand.

The head sculpt and paint scheme are a bit more attractive on the PNSO.

The plates are very similar, although they differ in number--neither, I think is falsifiable given currently known material. One of the key features of Wuerhosaurus is the extra-long neural spines on the proximal caudals, which are clearly present on the deep-tailed PNSO version. Between that and the paint work, PNSO wins out, albeit narrowly.

CollectA Polacanthus
Scale: 1:20
Sculptor: Matthias Geiger
Barremian of Eurasia
Etymology: Gr. "many thorns"
When the name was first leaked, I was excited, because there hasn't been a good Polacanthus figure in more than two decades, and CollectA makes relatively few ankylosaurs. But I was a little disappointed in the final product. There's something kind of homely about it that I can't quite put my finger on.

Compared to the Toyway version, the tail is much longer, likely too long. The arrangement of armor is different, but the osteoderms mostly weren't found in situ, so I don't think either of these is totally unreasonable. The sacral shield is reasonably intact in the holotype, and has a width:length ratio of about 1:1.2. Measured along the curves, both of these are exactly that ratio. However, the CollectA version's sacral shield seems to have too strong a curvature, which means that it's too narrow and makes the hips too narrow. Combine that with the tail length, and I think I'm going to keep the Toyway version.

Quote from: crazy8wizard on August 28, 2024, 05:34:05 PMIt's worth mentioning too that Nanuqsaurus is known from a partial dentary, some skull fragments, and I think a rib. Any medium sized tyrannosaur (up until recently) would make a decent enough stand in.

Very true. The diagram in the description is labeled 'generalized tyrannosaurine skull.'

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on August 28, 2024, 08:12:37 PMYeah, now that I look back you do have alot.
But I think they mostly monsterized versions of fragmentary theropod taxa, no?(not too familiar mit mattel)
And Im gonna take a guess that isnt exactly your cup of tea  :))

No, not quite my cup of tea. My philosophy when it comes to Mattel is that I want them to get some idea that there is money to be made in things other than the movie dinosaurs. I doubt I personally have much to do with it, but they do seem to have found that profitable, considering the surprising taxa (Nothosaurus, Rauisuchus, Poposaurus) they have occasionally made.

Quote from: Concavenator on August 28, 2024, 08:15:29 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on August 28, 2024, 05:08:00 PMI'll also take this opportunity to acknowledge PNSO's Tyrannotitan as the best exemplar of its genus, however superfluous its very existence is. But I don't plan to buy it.

I reckon that's a smart decision. Although thinking about it, Zhuchengtyrannus, Saurophaganax and the so-called "Sinopliosaurus" are in a similar position to Tyrannotitan (carnivorous theropods with rather poor remains, and therefore, unknown appearances), yet you have figures of those. Perhaps you find Tyrannotitan's name particularly irritating (I don't blame you)?

Well, the situations are similar but my feelings were a bit different. I don't pretend that anything about my collecting--or collecting in general--is rational, first of all! But when 'Sinopliosaurus' was released, I believe their only full-sized spinosaurid had been Spinosaurus itself, twice. Only later did they drop Suchomimus and Baryonyx. So I just wasn't as sick of spinosaurids then. Tyrannotitan, in addition to having a cringeworthy name, is nowhere close to their second carcharodontosaurid. As for Saurophaganax and Zhuchengtyrannus, I do sort of regret buying those, but it would have sort of bothered me not to buy them because I already had worse versions of each (CollectA and Favorite, respectively). If I ever downsize, it will start with taxa like those.

Quote from: Faelrin on August 28, 2024, 11:05:52 PMPart of me wants to buy it off your hands when the Safari becomes available (assuming no one else is interested in it), but part of me also knows I shouldn't think about that right now with the situation I'm in, plus how much I owe you still, and other folks.

When the time comes, I'll keep you in mind! The wait between successive iterations of theropod genera is rarely long, but yeah, this one was fast even by that standard.

Primeval12

The Haolonggood Euoplocephalus is adorable. I got it the instant it came out. It looks like a puppy and I LOVE it. Maybe I will get Saichania too so he can have a friend, but we'll see...

Shame about the Polocanthus though, I think it's beautiful if inaccurate. I plan to get it. At the very least, It's in scale with the BOtM and CollectA Eotyrannus.

Also, off topic! I just got the Cog Pterodaustro (finally). What do you use to prop it up? I'd like to get it on a rod since it's a bit  too small for the ceiling.

triceratops83

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 04, 2024, 11:52:07 PMWhen the name was first leaked, I was excited, because there hasn't been a good Polacanthus figure in more than two decades, and CollectA makes relatively few ankylosaurs. But I was a little disappointed in the final product. There's something kind of homely about it that I can't quite put my finger on.

That's exactly how I feel. The figure's just off somehow. I'm glad you're keeping the old Toyway version, a very pleasant model.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Flaffy

Quote from: triceratops83 on September 05, 2024, 02:26:58 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 04, 2024, 11:52:07 PMWhen the name was first leaked, I was excited, because there hasn't been a good Polacanthus figure in more than two decades, and CollectA makes relatively few ankylosaurs. But I was a little disappointed in the final product. There's something kind of homely about it that I can't quite put my finger on.

That's exactly how I feel. The figure's just off somehow. I'm glad you're keeping the old Toyway version, a very pleasant model.

Weird since they did so well with last year's Stegouros. I likely would've picked it up if it was made in the standard size range, as the awkwardness wouldn't be as noticeable.

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 04, 2024, 11:52:07 PM

Replaces the CollectA Gastonia.

I'm still undecided on whether I should replace my CollectA one. Especially after Kirkland's comments & diagrams.

Faelrin

Haolonggood has really been spoiling us for choice with ankylosaurs as of late. That said, there's still some genera that could use some figures, such as Gargoyleosaurus and Tarchia for example, so I certainly hope they keep this trend up.

Also thanks I'd appreciate that.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone!

Quote from: Primeval12 on September 05, 2024, 01:10:51 AMShame about the Polocanthus though, I think it's beautiful if inaccurate. I plan to get it. At the very least, It's in scale with the BOtM and CollectA Eotyrannus.

That's true, it scales well with existing Eotyrannus figures, and if I didn't already have the Toyway one the CollectA is the one I'd choose.

Quote from: Primeval12 on September 05, 2024, 01:10:51 AMAlso, off topic! I just got the Cog Pterodaustro (finally). What do you use to prop it up? I'd like to get it on a rod since it's a bit  too small for the ceiling.

I ordered clear acrylic dowels, I no longer recall where from. They're the same diameter as the ones from the Colorata boxes, if you have any of those, so for this photo the Pterodaustro was probably using the base for Colorata's Dsungaripterus. But it works just as well with a rock or log made of polymer clay, with an opening left for the dowel. Anyway, congrats on chasing that down, the Cog pterosaurs are getting a little hard to come by.

Quote from: triceratops83 on September 05, 2024, 02:26:58 AM

Second time I've briefly thought I might replace it. Papo was the first, but that figure is really bad. Anyway, a testament to the quality of the Toyway figures, for sure.

Quote from: Flaffy on September 05, 2024, 02:39:33 AMI'm still undecided on whether I should replace my CollectA one. Especially after Kirkland's comments & diagrams.

Yeah, that's reasonable. The CollectA one does correspond a little better to his reconstruction of the osteoderms, although my understanding is that they were mostly found loose. The thing that sealed it for me was the head, but ankylosaurs did after all have small heads, so maybe it doesn't jump out at you as much. FWIW, although it's hard to capture in photos, the sacral shield is pleasantly knobbly and textured on the HLG figure.

Quote from: Faelrin on September 05, 2024, 03:52:10 AMHaolonggood has really been spoiling us for choice with ankylosaurs as of late. That said, there's still some genera that could use some figures, such as Gargoyleosaurus and Tarchia for example, so I certainly hope they keep this trend up.

I definitely wouldn't complain about some lesser-known ankylosaurs like those. Because so many companies seem to be afraid of ankylosaurs, my collection has several really ugly exemplars that I'd love to see replaced.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: