News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Somehow an entire page of posts went by without any new photos. To prevent that happening again, here are my recently added Jurassic sauropods:

Papo Apatosaurus. Looks pretty nice, sits alongside the Safari version because I can't decide between them. About 1:40 based on total length, but I think the neck might be a little too long. Don't quote me on that, though.

Starlux Dicraeosaurus. Somehow the only one out there. Like other Starlux dinosaurs, it's cute but doesn't really hold up in terms of resembling the real animal (their fish are another story, but I guess it's harder to mess up animals known mostly from their exoskeletons). This guy is about 1:75.

CollectA Lufengosaurus. There's an awful lot of basal sauropodomorphs that could make cool figures. This one's okay. About 1:25 based on L. huenei, but it could be almost 1:40 for L. magnus.

Safari Mamenchisaurus (Dinosaurs of China). This figure is really quite homely; I'm not sure I prefer it to the Invicta. Both have fairly implausible stances, although the Invicta's looks like it hurts more. Of course, rendering a large-scale sauropod with a neck like that of Mamenchisaurus must be a shipping nightmare, so I can see why both companies went the routes they did. There probably won't be a better one soon, so here it sits. About 1:40 if in reference to a 27 meter individual, but based on known variation it could be anywhere from 1:30 to 1:65 (the latter based on isolated cervical vertebrae).

Safari Shunosaurus. Great little figure, well-proportioned. I was very happy to see it displace the CollectA abomination. About 1:50.

Happinet Supersaurus. My only Happinet figure, sculpted by Kazunari Araki, which you can see from the profusion of visible fenestrae. Nice for an action figure! About 1:65.

Sauropodomorphs in 1:40-1:50. Someday I'll finish grad school and move to a new office, and I just hope it has room for all these.

Sauropods from 1:50-1:75. Supersaurus was huge! What a dumb name, though. I'm a little jealous of people who have the FaunaCasts version.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Did you set the CollectA Shunosaurus on fire?  I asked if you were going to in the Safari new for 2016 thread, but I didn't get a reply...

I think "Supersaurus" is a fitting name for that genus.  "Dreadnoughtus", however, I find difficult to take seriously....

Dilopho

Quote from: Sim on January 29, 2016, 08:41:06 PM
Did you set the CollectA Shunosaurus on fire?  I asked if you were going to in the Safari new for 2016 thread, but I didn't get a reply...
Why? You could just give it to someone  :-\
I think "Supersaurus" is a fitting name for that genus.  "Dreadnoughtus", however, I find difficult to take seriously....
There's a lot more sillier dinosaur names. Atrociraptor, Khaan, Sinraptor, Skorpiovenator, Raptorex...not to mention how Sauroposeidon means earthquake lizard god....

Sim

Quote from: Dilopho on January 29, 2016, 09:10:15 PM

Well, he said he wanted to set it on fire :)) (Reply #176): http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2993.msg108288#msg108288

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: Sim on January 29, 2016, 09:21:03 PM
Quote from: Dilopho on January 29, 2016, 09:10:15 PM

Well, he said he wanted to set it on fire :)) (Reply #176): http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2993.msg108288#msg108288

"You will BURN!" to quote Smaug the Magnificent/Golden/Terrible/Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities/Tyrannical/etc. Although in my opinion, its a unique little figure, despite me not having it.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Halichoeres

Ha ha, I won't literally set it on fire, although it deserves it. It'll show up in my trade thread soon, in case anybody actually wants it. Actually, I feel guilty enough participating in a hobby that uses so much plastic. I wouldn't want to add to that offense by spewing toxic PVC fumes as I burn a toy. Even if I imagined my dinosaurs referring to me with the excellent title "Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities."
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Halichoeres

Jurassic ornithischians!

Favorite Stegosaurus (Soft Model series 1). Some animals get made by almost everyone, and that sometimes means that I cycle through several different versions and reject them in turn. I started out with the Favorite Series 2 version, replaced that with the Bullyland, and finally got this one. It still has some slightly questionable features, but it has the gular armor and at least a little bit of cheek tissue. About 1:40.

Kaiyodo Huayangosaurus. The earliest stegosaur known from good remains, if memory serves. Small animal, like the early members of all ornithischian lineages. This one is about 1:50.

CollectA Camptosaurus. Unremarkable, but it's a Camptosaurus. About 1:35

Not many Jurassic ornithischians get the 1:40 treatment.

Dryosaurus, manufacturer unknown, but made in China like almost everything else. It's hollow and a little crude, but honestly still better than some of my "brand-name" figures.

Maybe the most peculiar thing about it is its belly tag, which uses a serif font. I don't know why I find that so weird, but it's weird, right? Anyway, this Dryosaurus is about 1:20 if based on a largish individual.

CollectA Lexovisaurus. You know, now that I'm looking at this photo, I don't think the spine paint is factory original--it looks distinctly amateur, even relative to CollectA's older efforts. Does anyone else have this figure who can confirm? About 1:30.

Mostly a stegosaur party.

Simba Fabrosaurus (Dinoz). One of several enigmatic genera erected to house the fragmentary remains of early Jurassic ornithischians from southern Africa, none of which has been seriously attempted by a respectable figurine company. So this is how Simba manages to sneak into my collection. About 1:10.

In a similar fashion, Takara Tomy sneaks in with this Dinosaur Train Lesothosaurus. About 1:9.

And this old Heterodontosaurus. To me it looks like the Inpro version, but people more familiar with vintage figures, please do correct me if I'm wrong. It's made of a firm plastic, but not brittle like Starlux. Its belly misspells the name "HETERODONTDSAURUS." About 1:12.

The veldt, around 200 million years ago.

PaleoMatt

RobinGoodfellow

Hi Tim,
That's my Collecta Lexovisaurus, pretty new:

I hope it helps. :)

tyrantqueen

Halichoeres

Quote from: TE Matt on February 01, 2016, 08:12:16 PM
I hope CollectA makes a heterodontosaur one day.
That would be great! I'll take one from almost anyone at this point. Hard to believe that Inpro was the last time anyone tried it.

Quote from: RobinGoodfellows on February 01, 2016, 08:45:58 PM
Hi Tim,

Well, that's definitely different! Yours looks more like the stock photo. Thanks for the comparison; I wonder if the person who traded it to me knew it had been altered?

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 01, 2016, 09:14:28 PM
QuoteThe veldt, around 200 million years ago.

A suitable background music:

"Uwaoooo~!"
I'm not a gamer, but one of my good friends played FFVI, and he introduced me to Uematsu's scores. With my limited experience, I have to say they're very easy on the ears. I wouldn't mind this playing on a loop every time I looked at my collection.

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 02, 2016, 02:28:31 AM
Hi Tim,

Well, that's definitely different! Yours looks more like the stock photo. Thanks for the comparison; I wonder if the person who traded it to me knew it had been altered?

A Google image search for "collecta lexovisaurus" shows some that look like yours, Tim, and some that look like RobinGoodfellows's one.  There's even what looks like a stock photo from 2007, when CollectA was called Procon, with the white-tipped spines.  Maybe the one you have Tim, is the original version?  While the one without the white tips on the spines is the newer version, since that's the one shown in CollectA's 2016 catalogue and on their website?  The hoofs also appear to be different colours in the two versions.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on February 02, 2016, 06:21:09 PM
Hi Tim,

A Google image search for "collecta lexovisaurus" shows some that look like yours, Tim, and some that look like RobinGoodfellows's one.  There's even what looks like a stock photo from 2007, when CollectA was called Procon, with the white-tipped spines.  Maybe the one you have Tim, is the original version?  While the one without the white tips on the spines is the newer version, since that's the one shown in CollectA's 2016 catalogue and on their website?  The hoofs also appear to be different colours in the two versions.

You're right! I don't know why I didn't think to just Google it. I guess mine is the vintage version, ha ha. It's pretty badly executed, which is why I thought it might have been an after-market modification.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 02, 2016, 06:44:08 PM
Hi Tim,

You're right! I don't know why I didn't think to just Google it. I guess mine is the vintage version, ha ha. It's pretty badly executed, which is why I thought it might have been an after-market modification.

Check the belly, if it says Procon or CollectA. Or, if they have the name of the animal stamped on; that was a later-day addition for CollectA.

For your heterodontosaurus, it looks like the INPRO one, except much brighter colours than the ones I have (from a store in the early 90s). They could be recasts.

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on February 02, 2016, 08:58:30 PM
Hi Tim,

Check the belly, if it says Procon or CollectA. Or, if they have the name of the animal stamped on; that was a later-day addition for CollectA.

For your heterodontosaurus, it looks like the INPRO one, except much brighter colours than the ones I have (from a store in the early 90s). They could be recasts.

Thanks, Sean! Does your heterodonotosaur also have a misspelled name, too? I figured mine was probably a knock-off, but I wouldn't know how to tell. The Lex definitely says "Procon 2008," so yep, guess it's just an old one.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 03, 2016, 05:53:23 PM
Quote from: SBell on February 02, 2016, 08:58:30 PM
Hi Tim,

Thanks, Sean! Does your heterodonotosaur also have a misspelled name, too? I figured mine was probably a knock-off, but I wouldn't know how to tell. The Lex definitely says "Procon 2008," so yep, guess it's just an old one.

I'll have to let you know later, assuming I can find them!

Okay, so I checked--and mine is indeed spelled 'HETERODONTDSAURUS'. I guess they weren't spell checking!?

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on February 03, 2016, 08:39:01 PM

I'll have to let you know later, assuming I can find them!

Okay, so I checked--and mine is indeed spelled 'HETERODONTDSAURUS'. I guess they weren't spell checking!?

Hilarious! I guess if you're setting letter stamps in a mold, a capital D and a capital O look pretty similar. So either mine is the genuine article (the difference in brightness could be in part due to photo processing), or the knock-offs replicated the typo.

Halichoeres

Jurassic theropods from all over the world!

Yowie Ozraptor (Lost Kingdoms B). Known from a single tibia, so, you know, your typical Australian dinosaur. Somewhere between 1:15 and 1:30 because who knows.

Chap Mei Ornitholestes. Replaced the Geoworld version but I'm not sure it's an improvement. It has something kind of like feathers, and it has a sickle claw, which Ornitholestes may have had, but if so it's on the wrong toe. And it has that iconic but almost certainly erroneous nose crest. The tail is much too short; by total length this is around 1:13, but by head-sacrum length it's more like 1:10.

Rebor Ceratosaurus dentisulcatus. I got this one pretty cheap on eBay, forgetting that the first wave of these had warped legs. I gave it a day standing on the radiator and then re-formed it and put it in the fridge. Now it stands both on and off its base, but we'll see if that lasts. This thing is huge, as I suspected. By reliable estimates of the length of C. dentisulcatus, which, yes, is the largest member of its genus, this is about 1:25, not 1:35.

Theropods, 1:15-1:30.

Simba Stokesosaurus (Predators). This is an absolutely hilarious figure, but I don't know another Stokesosaurus, and this one is around 1:45, believe it or not. Except the giant, giant head. Also, pretty sure that tyrannosaurs of the Jurassic usually still had three fingers, but I might be wrong.

CollectA Afrovenator. Solves the age-old theropod balance problem the hard way--by breaking its wrist. At least it's roughly to scale with the Jobaria. About 1:35-1:40.

Safari Ceratosaurus. Looks to be based on C. nasicornis, and a pretty faithful rendition. This one is actually close to 1:35, unlike the Rebor.

Theropods, 1:30-1:55. This lot is notable for its subdued palette.

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Libraraptor

"Theropods, 1:30-1:55. This lot is notable for its subdued palette."

What do you mean by that? CanĀ“t really translate that. Do you mean the pale colours?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: