News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnotaurus

I just closed my jaw. . :o very impressive!!!!

ceratopsian

A fabulous collection.  Amazing what can be done in a relatively short time.

Ezikot

A really nice collection. Congratulations.
(hope i won't sound repetitive, but, as i said in another thread, i'm not in love with overcrowded shelves)

P.S. is the papo baryonyx trying to mate with the wwd polacanthus?   :)) :)) :))

Centrosaur86

Cool collection!  :D on page 25 i saw your 1:40 Pentaceratops, where did you get this model?

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Centrosaur86 on February 25, 2017, 01:35:58 PM
Cool collection!  :D on page 25 i saw your 1:40 Pentaceratops, where did you get this model?

The Favorite Pentaceratops is a special edition for the 2016 Dinosaur Expo at Fukui Museum in Japan.
It was available only at the Expo shop.
( https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157675277418506 )
Maybe it could be another chance to get the set:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157675277418506  edited: wrong, duplicated link, sorry...  :-[
..the right link:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5429.0

Centrosaur86

Okay thanks for your answer, RobinGoodFellow!  :D

Halichoeres

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!

Quote from: Ezikot on February 25, 2017, 11:09:51 AM
A really nice collection. Congratulations.
(hope i won't sound repetitive, but, as i said in another thread, i'm not in love with overcrowded shelves)

P.S. is the papo baryonyx trying to mate with the wwd polacanthus?   :)) :)) :))

I don't like crowded shelves either, but I have a fairly large library as well, and I don't really want to put either in storage. Besides which I do not live by myself, so I can't monopolize all of the wall space. Eventually I will probably have to rotate things, and keep some things in storage, but I would miss whatever was not on display!

As for the Papo Baryonyx, if that is what he is trying to do he has a worse understanding of anatomy than even Schleich!  ;D
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Nice displays. Lots of dusting I imagine!

One question, what is the shark in the middle on here, on the plastic 'stand'

spinosaurus1

I beleive that it's the shark thay goes with the sideshow mosasaurus statue

Halichoeres

Thanks SB! Spinosaurus is correct, it's the Squalicorax that came with the mosasaur:

Makes up, in a small way, for the Prehistoric Sea Monsters line that never was. I'm currently trying to devise creative ways to make room for the rest of its base, which also features some nice little actinopterygians of uncertain identity.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Halichoeres

The Triassic revisited. There are very few Triassic animals left on my wish list, mostly from Dawn of the Dinosaurs or from Play Visions. Every major company needs to take a year off from the Cretaceous, and in particular from Cretaceous theropods, and concentrate on making animals from the most interesting period of the Mesozoic. Meanwhile, here are a few new guys:

Dawn of the Dinosaurs Ischigualastia. Homeboy needs some fluoride, but I'm really stoked to add the last dicynodont from my wish list to my collection. About 1:40 based on the skull, which is the only part of the animal for which I could find a reasonable description.

Play Visions Placodus. I got this in a trade, what, a couple of months ago now. I now have all the PV marine reptiles (all 2 of them) that I wanted. Now just 4 amphibians to go.

This was the last placodont on my wish list and is about 1:20 (so scales pretty well with the PV Mixosaurus.)

Safari Coelophysis. Safari, keep giving us Triassic guys! I'll buy every single one. This replaced the GeoWorld version, and I'm always very happy to see one of those replaced. About 1:13.

My Triassic bestiary grows slowly, but it grows! (back to front: Bullyland Liliensternus, Starlux Saltoposuchus, Kenner Ornithosuchus, Dawn of the Dinosaurs Exaeretodon, Yowie Deltasaurus, Bullyland Paratypothorax, Maia & Borges Staurikosaurus, Yowie Tasmaniosaurus, Play Visions Cynognathus, Takara Tomy Proganochelys (Dinosaur Train).

Joy City Ltd Odontochelys semitestacea. Thanks to a tip from Libraraptor, I found this on ebay.de for a bit of a mark-up relative to its original retail price, but it was worth it. You can't have enough stem-turtles! About 1:10.

It's real small! Shown here next to the Safari Henodus Toob figure.

And because it's so hard to come by new and interesting pterosaurs, here's this Peteinosaurus from Dinosaur Train by Takara Tomy's Learning Curve subsidiary. About 1:7.

ZoPteryx

I hadn't heard of that Odontochelys figure before.  What's it made of?  It looks kind of like eraser material.

Libraraptor

Quote from: ZoPteryx on March 15, 2017, 08:57:39 PM
I hadn't heard of that Odontochelys figure before.  What's it made of?  It looks kind of like eraser material.

It´s rubber, yes, but one can´t erase with it.
And wow, I really love your Triassic collection! That Ischigualastia is exactly of my taste and so is that Exaeretodon! Are they easy to find?

Halichoeres

Quote from: ZoPteryx on March 15, 2017, 08:57:39 PM

Libraraptor discovered them in an ALDI store and brought them to the forum's attention. There's a thread about the full line here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4267.0

Sadly, I don't think anybody has found them anywhere else yet. I contacted them to try to order them directly, but they would only sell them in batches of 2400.

Quote from: Libraraptor on March 15, 2017, 09:03:49 PM
And wow, I really love your Triassic collection! That Ischigualastia is exactly of my taste and so is that Exaeretodon! Are they easy to find?

Thank you! These took me a pretty long time to find. Clawmark Toys has the Fasolasuchus and Exaeretodon skeletons, but they're sold out of everything else. I'm still looking for the Promastodonsaurus, and the resin Saurosuchus.

Halichoeres

I always forget to include the Bullyland Protochirotherium when I update the Triassic stuff, so here it is finally, because it might be a long time before I revisit the Triassic:

I actually had a copy, traded it away, then bought another one because I started missing it. Now I'm sort of feeling inclined to trade it away again. It's probably the most speculative piece in my collection, and one of the most speculative available--I think a Yowie sauropod made based on an Australian trackway is the only other fully fleshed-out figure of an ichnotaxon.

Halichoeres

Bilaterians of the Paleozoic!

Captorhinus (Early Permian) by an unknown maker. Darren Naish calls it a rhynchosaur in a blog post about his animal collection, but a thread on the old DTF reports that people have seen it marked Captorhinus on packages. It works equally poorly as either, and I already have a rhynchosaur, so I continue to call this one a Captorhinus. I'd like more figures of both rhynchosaurs and captorhinids, of course. About 1:11.

With some other Permian critters.

Chialu Sphenacodon (latest Carboniferous-Early Permian). It's pretty beat up, but man, these don't come up for sale often. I probably wouldn't be able to afford a really nice one anyway. Someday someone will make a really good Sphenacodon toy and this one will head off into the sunset. About 1:18.

Kaiyodo Rayonnoceras (Early Carboniferous). Yup, I'm collecting cephalopods now. They really liven up my marine shelves, I gotta say. About 1:25.

Diramix/ZooWorld Stethacanthus (Devonian-Carboniferous). The trailing edges of the paired fins are kind of exaggerated, but for how stylized this figure is, it's kind of impressive they were included at all. Likewise the denticle patches on the spine-brush complex. It'll do until my Neko Works Stethacanthus returns from its journey to be repainted by a pro. About 1:6.

Diramix/ZooWorld Dinichthys (Late Devonian). This is a really bad arthrodire. Their most distinctive feature is their armor, but this figure omits fully half of it. About 1:50.

Unspecified acanthodian from an unknown maker (cf. Climatius, a Silurian genus, based on the number of prepelvic spines). Prepelvic spines on acanthodians were paired, but the ones on this toy are all on the midline. Sort of the opposite problem from the Safari Toob xenacanthid sharks. About 1:1.

Another one, slightly smaller, with just the laziest paint job in the known universe.

Roselaar

Halichoeres

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 22, 2017, 10:02:07 PM

Captorhinus (Early Permian) by an unknown maker. Darren Naish calls it a rhynchosaur in a blog post about his animal collection, but a thread on the old DTF reports that people have seen it marked Captorhinus on packages. It works equally poorly as either, and I already have a rhynchosaur, so I continue to call this one a Captorhinus. I'd like more figures of both rhynchosaurs and captorhinids, of course. About 1:11.

I've always referred to the two versions that I have as rhynchosaurs as well. I guess if you squished it a little, it could be more captorhinish

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 22, 2017, 10:02:07 PM

Another one, slightly smaller, with just the laziest paint job in the known universe.

Mine is even lazier--it's just pink. No eye paint at all!

Tylosaurus

Quite the amazing collection you got there a mix of absolutely everything, hmm yet I wonder who made this Kentrosaurus:

Looks quite larget that most Stegosaurid models I seen, love the post actually unless that is not a Kentrosaurus, my bad 8)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: