News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

Now we're getting to the really weird stuff!  :))

Isn't the scale on the Helicoprion a little small, or are you basing it on one of the smaller species?

Halichoeres

Thanks, Lanthanotus! I can think of a couple of people with more comprehensive collections of weird prehistoric animals, but they don't post photos too often.

@ZoPteryx: yeah, most of these should have ranges rather than single numbers. To my knowledge, there are no body fossils for Helicoprion, and my scale estimate is based on a 3.5m specimen, but you're right that there are much larger whorls known that might belong to animals two or three times that length, extrapolating from more completely known eugeneodontids.

Part 1 of 2 of the Devonian, including an odd new acquisition.

First, tetrapodomorphs:

Kaiyodo Ichthyostega (Great Leaps in Evolution)
Scale: 1:12
Sculptor: Ataru Sugaya
Released: 2015

Yujin Acanthostega
Scale: 1:8
Released: 2006

Paleozoo Tiktaalik
Scale: 1:10
Designer: Bruce Currie
Released: 2016

TST Advance Panderichthys (Shyaruru Palette)
Scale: 1:6
One of TST's homelier offerings. But man, I'm such a sucker for fish.

Kaiyodo Eusthenopteron (Dinotales 6)
Scale: 1:25
Sculptor: Eiichiro Matsumoto
Released: 2006

Kaiyodo Eusthenopteron (Capsule Q Paleozoic)

And some sharks holocephalans:

Safari Cladoselache (Prehistoric Sharks Toob)
Scale: 1:17
Released: 2011

Kaiyodo Cladoselache (Dinotales 1.2)
Released: 2001

Kaiyodo Cladoselache (Dinotales 1)

And some antiarchs:

Kaiyodo Bothriolepis (Capsule Q Paleozoic)
Scale: 1:4

Kaiyodo Bothriolepis (Dinotales 1.2)
Scale: 1:4
I never realized until now how much my Devonian shelves owe to Matsumoto.

Paleozoo Remigolepis
Scale: 1:2
Designer: Bruce Currie
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 24, 2017, 10:43:17 PM
Thanks, Lanthanotus! I can think of a couple of people with more comprehensive collections of weird prehistoric animals, but they don't post photos too often.

TST Advance Panderichthys (Shyaruru Palette)
One of TST's homelier offerings. But man, I'm such a sucker for fish.

I'm amused that you generally avoid monochromes, but goofy plush is okay...

Admittedly, I'm heading that way right now...http://www.palaeoplushies.com/product/polypterus-palmas-soft-sculpture-plushie-42cm. I regret nothing.

Halichoeres

Ha ha, yeah, I can see why that would be amusing. But it's not that I make exceptions for plushes without making exceptions for monochromes; it's that I make exceptions for fish in whatever form they come. If Marx had made a Panderichthys (possible, since it was described in 1941), I can almost guarantee it would be in my collection. Likewise a monochrome Invicta Eastmanosteus, say. I've had the Yoplait/Ovomaltine/Henkel Pterichthys on my wishlist since I learned of its existence, but nobody seems to be selling. I actually realized going through my Devonian stuff that I have more monochromes than I thought, but some of them I ended up with by accident and so had forgotten about.

Now, part 2 of 2 of the Devonian, including some more goofy recent acquisitions--and some accidental monochromes. I'll start with arthrodires:

TST Advance Phyllolepis (Shyaruru Palette)
Scale: roughly 1:1
A flattened, probably bottom-dwelling placoderm that is either an arthrodire or part of the sister group of the arthrodires. I mean, OBVIOUSLY I'd rather have a plastic one, but I couldn't turn this down once I knew it existed. Blame Twitter, where some fish paleontologist friends started posting these things.

Yowie Mcnamaraspis (Lost Kingdoms B)
Scale: 1:3

Schleich Dunkleosteus (First Giants)
Scale: 1:30

Safari Dunkleosteus
Scale: 1:45
Sculptor: Doug Watson
Released: 2007

Favorite Dunkleosteus (Prehistoric Life)
Scale: 1:40
Sculptor: Hirokazu Tokugawa
Released: 2014

Diramix Dinichthys (Mega Abissi)
Scale: 1:18
Released: 2016?

Cog Ltd antiarch Groenlandaspis
Scale: 1:5

Yowie Groenlandaspis (Lost Kingdoms A)

Yowie Rolfosteus (Lost Kingdoms B)

Various jawless vertebrates:

Kaiyodo Hemicyclaspis (Dinotales 3)
Sculptor: Takashi Kinoshita
Released: 2002

Starlux Cephalaspis
Sculptor: Maurice Massat
Released: 1983

Starlux Drepanaspis
Sculptor: Maurice Massat
Released: 1983

Kaiyodo Pteraspis (Dinotales 2)

TST Advance Doryaspis (Shyaruru Palette)
Scale: about life size for the largest specimens, about twice life size for typical specimens.
This one has what feels like sheets of cardboard in the lateral spines to keep them stiff, but when it was shipped to me it was just stuffed into a bag, so they got all twisted. If this thing tried to swim it would just spin like a blender blade. Doryaspis is distinctive enough that I think some company might one day make one (ideally Favorite). Until then, this behemoth will be tucked into the bookshelf.

and a couple of arthropods:

Kaiyodo Psychopyge (Dinotales 1)
Scale: 1:2-1:3
Sculptor: Katsuo Takuma

Paleocasts Hollardops
Sculptor: Patrick May

Yowie Kettneraspis (Lost Kingdoms A)
Scale: 2× life size
Released: 2000

Paleocasts Harpes
Scale: 1:1

Paleocasts Dithyrocaris
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

SBell

For primitive fish, a member from here (former?) made several on Shapeways, some of which were pretty unique--one of my favorites is his Doryaspis:

I just lack the courage to do the painting...

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on August 26, 2017, 03:18:45 AM
For primitive fish, a member from here (former?) made several on Shapeways, some of which were pretty unique--one of my favorites is his Doryaspis:

I've thought about getting those, but I am so very lazy about painting. And they are pretty expensive for the quality of the designs. (Not that TST plushes aren't, also.) Anyway, I'm about to move to a new state, so maybe I'd best hold off on fragile things until I'm settled again.

Halichoeres

The entire Silurian fits in one small update, even with a newly added plush fish. It's the second-most neglected period of the Phanerozoic.

unspecified acanthodian, cf. Climatius, from an unknown manufacturer

TST Advance Thelodus (Shyaruru Palette)
The only thelodont in my collection, although there might be one or two on Shapeways that I should order someday. Thelodonts are a weird group, possibly polyphyletic, and mostly known from scales. No jaws, but a fairly wide range of body shapes. Thelodus itself is honestly one of the more boring-looking taxa, I'd like to see somebody make a Furcacauda.

Kaiyodo Pterygotus (Capsule Q Paleozoic)

Kaiyodo Eurypterus (Dinotales 2)
Scale: 1:19
Sculptor: Takashi Kinoshita

If Colorata ever releases the long-promised Paleozoic box, I'll be able to add another sea scorpion to this tableau.

Takara Tomy Michelinoceras (Dinosaur Train)
Scale: 1:7
Released: 2010

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 30, 2017, 07:54:56 AM
Quote from: SBell on August 26, 2017, 03:18:45 AM

I've thought about getting those, but I am so very lazy about painting. And they are pretty expensive for the quality of the designs. (Not that TST plushes aren't, also.) Anyway, I'm about to move to a new state, so maybe I'd best hold off on fragile things until I'm settled again.

I've never painted any of mine...but then, I kind of dig the monochrome look. I'll still do it someday, probably, on at least a few of them.

And while I've never noticed a Shapeways thelodont...now I must find out for sure!

Halichoeres

The Ordovician is the most poorly represented period of the Phanerozoic, even if you account for the fact that it was genuinely less diverse than the periods that followed it. All my Ordovician animals fit in one very small update:

Kaiyodo Triarthrus (Capsule Q Paleozoic)

Yowie Arandaspis (Lost Kingdoms B)

Kaiyodo Pleurocystites (Dinotales 3)
Scale: 1:2-1:3
Released: 2002

If it weren't for Katsuo Takuma, I'd barely have anything Ordovician!

At a stretch you could include the long-surviving Vauxia and Naraoia, but they are both more abundant in Cambrian strata.

bmathison1972

Ah you've been getting to the fun stuff lately...before those silly vertebrates mucked things up  ;D :P >:D

SBell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 01, 2017, 12:11:35 PM
Ah you've been getting to the fun stuff lately...before those silly vertebrates mucked things up  ;D :P >:D

But chordates were then from nearly the beginning anyway! :))

It's those lousy Bryozoans and their late-to-the-party attitude that really messed things up!

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on September 01, 2017, 02:04:36 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 01, 2017, 12:11:35 PM

But chordates were then from nearly the beginning anyway! :))

It's those lousy Bryozoans and their late-to-the-party attitude that really messed things up!

I place the blame firmly on tetrapods. Until they came along, vertebrates were perfectly reasonable.

Halichoeres

The Cambrian also fits in a single update, but it's a nice big beefy one--lots of companies have paid fleeting attention to the Cambrian over the years. Damn shame the Safari Cambrian Toob was so short-lived--makes me skeptical that they'll ever do other Paleozoic Toobs.

Anyway, here are some photos, including some new additions among the deuterostomes!

Favorite Pikaia gracilens (Prehistoric Life mini models)
Scale: 2.5× life size

Yujin Haikouella (Miracle Planet)
Released: 2005

Myllokunmingia, made as a fève (king cake surprise) for epiphanie in France
This is my only fève, although there are a few other interesting taxa that I believe have only been made in this format, such as Pistosaurus. This thing is truly minute, not much bigger than an actual bean. It's an adorable addition to my Paleozoic shelf.

TST Advance Haikouichthys (Shyaruru Palette)
Scale: 10× life size
This isn't even a particularly large plush, but Haikouichthys was a very small animal. Both it and Myllokunmingia are probably among the earliest craniates, possibly even closer to us than hagfish. The Cambrian gets pretty regular attention from toy makers, so there's a decent chance someone will make an improved version of this down the line that would scale better with my other Cambrian critters. Right now it really only works with the Sanctacaris.

Protostomes:

Favorite Olenoides serratus (Prehistoric Life mini models)

Safari Tricrepicephalus (Cambrian Life Toob)
Scale: 1.5× life size
Released: 2013

Safari Sanctacaris (Cambrian Life Toob)
Scale: 5× life size

Safari Sidneyia (Cambrian Life Toob)

Safari Naraoia (Cambrian Life Toob)
Scale: just a little bigger than life size

Favorite Canadaspis perfecta (Prehistoric Life mini models)

Favorite Marrella splendens (Prehistoric Life mini models)
Scale: 3× life size

Kaiyodo Anomalocaris (Great Leaps in Evolution)
Scale: 1:12
Sculptor: Seiji Yamamoto

Royal Ontario Museum Peytoia (=Laggania) (Primeval Predators)
Scale: 1:1-1:1.5
Released: 2000

Kaiyodo Opabinia (Capsule Q Paleozoic)
Sculptor: Kuniaki Teraoka

Safari Ottoia (Cambrian Life Toob)

Favorite Wiwaxia corrugata (Prehistoric Life mini models)
Scale: 2× life-size

And finally, the only poriferan in my collection:

Safari Vauxia (Cambrian Life Toob)

Libraraptor

I love that Myllokunmingia, made as a fève!!! I do have some Feves dinosaurs, an interesting area for collectors!

ZoPteryx

It's been a great ride through the Phanerozoic, thanks Halichoeres!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Libraraptor on September 04, 2017, 10:11:38 PM
I love that Myllokunmingia, made as a fève!!! I do have some Feves dinosaurs, an interesting area for collectors!

There are definitely a few gems among them!

Quote from: ZoPteryx on September 05, 2017, 05:38:24 AM
It's been a great ride through the Phanerozoic, thanks Halichoeres!

I'm glad you enjoyed it, thanks for coming along! Soon enough a big Cretaceous theropod update will be in order thanks to a certain Kickstarter campaign.

Roselaar

I haven't got a decent pic of Marella for the USL yet, I assume you don't mind if I used yours? It's excellent high-res photography! :)

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 05, 2017, 07:47:51 PM
Quote from: Libraraptor on September 04, 2017, 10:11:38 PM

There are definitely a few gems among them!

I have a few--including thy Myllo and Pisto, as well as a Ptilodus and a few others.

I don't have them, but there are also some decent fishes out there...

Halichoeres

Quote from: Roselaar on September 05, 2017, 09:45:23 PM
I haven't got a decent pic of Marella for the USL yet, I assume you don't mind if I used yours? It's excellent high-res photography! :)

Of course! Feel free, as always.

Roselaar

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 06, 2017, 05:35:40 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on September 05, 2017, 09:45:23 PM

Of course! Feel free, as always.

Thank you! :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: