News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dunkleosteus toys or models?

Started by Matt Bille, May 10, 2015, 11:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Bille

I curate a FaceBook page on our old bone-headed friend Dunkleosteus terrelli.  I have only two full-body toys, one from WildSafari and a larger Japanese one.  Are there others?  I've been hunting for quite a while.    https://www.facebook.com/DunkleosteusTerrelli?ref=hl

Halichoeres

Quote from: Matt Bille on May 10, 2015, 11:04:02 PM
I curate a FaceBook page on our old bone-headed friend Dunkleosteus terrelli.  I have only two full-body toys, one from WildSafari and a larger Japanese one. Are there others?  I've been hunting for quite a while.    https://www.facebook.com/DunkleosteusTerrelli?ref=hl

The Japanese one is the Favorite Co. "Soft Model?" There's also a smaller Japanese one: the Kaiyodo Dunkleosteus (https://www.facebook.com/149100965149683/photos/a.149106681815778.31198.149100965149683/149110115148768/?type=3&theater). Let me know if that link doesn't work.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Pachyrhinosaurus

I think the best mass-produced toy is the Safari Dunkleosteus. If you want a resin model, the Paleocraft dunkleosteus by Sean Cooper is a good choice.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

SBell

There are a few of varying quality. The Favorite line has a modest sized one on a stand, and a really big soft model. The Safari is still, probably, they best representation of all of them; I know I'm not alone in putting it above the resin versions.

In the smaller size, as well as the Dinotales one there is a skull from a later series; there is also a weird monster-ish one from the Animal Kaiser card game in Japan and a small figure from the original Prehistoric Panorama series (in the marine set).

One odd thing--overall, the Japanese figures tend to the forked heterocercal tail, while most other reconstructions use a pointed, heterocercal caudal fin. As far as I've known, most arthrodires that do have known tails tend to the single-pointed tail fin.

tyrantqueen

At the moment I am having a Dunkleosteus privately printed by Shapeways from Raul Lunia's (Dinoraul) 3D renders, which I purchased from him. It's going to be in 1/72 scale, since it would be prohibitively expensive in a large scale.

I'm not offering it for sale though, since that would be a violation of copyright. But I thought it might be something interesting to mention. I will post some photos in my thread if anyone is interested.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.