News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Marvelous Minifigures

Started by Tapejara1122, May 12, 2015, 04:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapejara1122

So I still have my 1st set of dino figures from when I was a kid :D.Looking back at them now, the look pretty amzing! So, this topic is going to be about mini figures that look great, you get extra points if they are old too! Papo minis are allowed, but I would try to amaze everyone by putting up the unexpected. Here are pics of my 1st models.

They are all Wild Safari figures from a very old toob.

T rex and dilophosaurus

Carnotaurus and allosaurus

2 raptors

Ankylosaurus and dimetrodon

And a very ugly spino and " brontosaurus " (And a dead raptor in the back)

I also made a tiny diorama!

"You know, at times like this one feels, well, perhaps extinct animals should be left extinct". - Ian Malcolm

Tapejara1122

Here is a better pic of the allosaurus and carnotaurus.

"You know, at times like this one feels, well, perhaps extinct animals should be left extinct". - Ian Malcolm

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Tapejara1122

Roselaar

PlayVisions amphibians and marine reptiles. Apart from the various Kaiyodo figures, still the best minifigures ever. If only more manufacturers would release such wonderfully obscure creatures as these!

sauroid

just a few...

i'm tempted to include Kaiyodo dino tales figures but it wouldn't be fair to the other figures in the thread lol
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Roselaar on May 12, 2015, 11:24:49 PM

PlayVisions amphibians and marine reptiles. Apart from the various Kaiyodo figures, still the best minifigures ever. If only more manufacturers would release such wonderfully obscure creatures as these!

Those really are wonderful. I daresay the Safari marine reptiles toob is a rival for these in quality, if not necessarily obscurity.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Arul

What is the best minifigure in your opinion guys ?  :)

Pachyrhinosaurus

My favorite have to be the WS nothosaurus and henodus. They blend in with larger, more detailed figures very well.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Arul

Yes ws nothosaurus i love it. Ws dolichoryncops minifigure scale is good enough for carnegie tylosaurus i like that

SBell

Quote from: ARUL on May 27, 2015, 01:34:57 AM

Overall, the Dinotales (with a couple notable exceptions) are easily the best small ones in plastic (there are resins, metals and such that may be equal, but I don't think that's the spirit of the thread).

When it comes to more easily attainable ones, Safari can hold it's own with the best. Below are some fairly old photos (originally posted on the Dino Toy Forum Version 1! See my coments! Revel in the historical nonsense!) from when the Prehistoric Marine Reptiles toob came out (which is why some are lacking some obvious comparables--there are a lot of Japanese Chlamydoselachus figures, for example; and there are newer Kaiyodo, Colorata, etc of others).

Tylosaurus, middle, compared with PV mosasaur and Kaiyodo tylosaur:

Ichthyosaurus, second from left, compared to PV Shonisaurus (left) and Mixosaurus (far right) and Kaiyodo Ichthyosaurus. Side note--it is really laterally compressed:

Metriorhynchus, middle left, with Kaiyodo and PV versions:

Elasmosaurus, front, with Kaiyodo and PV versions:

Liopleurodon, left, with Kaiyodo and Quick WwD versions (yes, a lot less common, but there aren't many small ones):

Dolichorhynchops, right, with Jack-in-the-Box version:

Henodus, back right, with PV version (also PV Placodus, because I felt sorry for it...):

Nothosaurus, front, with PV version:

Chlamydoselachus (frilled shark), back, with Kaiyodo version:

Basilosaurus, front, with Medicom version (another rare one, but it isn't like there are other options):

SBell

Quote from: SBell on May 27, 2015, 01:54:37 AM
Quote from: ARUL on May 27, 2015, 01:34:57 AM

Overall, the Dinotales (with a couple notable exceptions) are easily the best small ones in plastic (there are resins, metals and such that may be equal, but I don't think that's the spirit of the thread).

When it comes to more easily attainable ones, Safari can hold it's own with the best. Below are some fairly old photos (originally posted on the Dino Toy Forum Version 1! See my coments! Revel in the historical nonsense!) from when the Prehistoric Marine Reptiles toob came out (which is why some are lacking some obvious comparables--there are a lot of Japanese Chlamydoselachus figures, for example; and there are newer Kaiyodo, Colorata, etc of others).

Tylosaurus, middle, compared with PV mosasaur and Kaiyodo tylosaur:

Ichthyosaurus, second from left, compared to PV Shonisaurus (left) and Mixosaurus (far right) and Kaiyodo Ichthyosaurus. Side note--it is really laterally compressed:

Metriorhynchus, middle left, with Kaiyodo and PV versions:

Elasmosaurus, front, with Kaiyodo and PV versions:

Liopleurodon, left, with Kaiyodo and Quick WwD versions (yes, a lot less common, but there aren't many small ones):

Dolichorhynchops, right, with Jack-in-the-Box version:

Henodus, back right, with PV version (also PV Placodus, because I felt sorry for it...):

Nothosaurus, front, with PV version:

Chlamydoselachus (frilled shark), back, with Kaiyodo version:

Basilosaurus, front, with Medicom version (another rare one, but it isn't like there are other options):

I should update these someday...almost all of these have new ones for comparison (except the nothosaurs. And placodonts).

Halichoeres

Wow, there are several of those I've never heard of. As far as the best minifigures, I would have to agree that it's Kaiyodo. Some of the Coloratas are comparably good, but my favorites are the Dinotales fishes (Axelrodichthys, Hemicyclaspis, Bothriolepis, etc.).

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 27, 2015, 02:44:25 AM
Wow, there are several of those I've never heard of. As far as the best minifigures, I would have to agree that it's Kaiyodo. Some of the Coloratas are comparably good, but my favorites are the Dinotales fishes (Axelrodichthys, Hemicyclaspis, Bothriolepis, etc.).

There are really so many now--I have at least 7 different frilled sharks! Most of which would be considered minis. Same with mosasaurs (if not Tylosaurus-proper) and pliosaurs. Others, not so much--like I said, the placodonts are still kind of ignored (there is a Starlux one, that's about it) as is Basilosaurus.

I would agree about Colorata, but most of their work is modern (no complaints about the fishes though) and they seem to have slowed their innovation in the last couple years, sticking to re-releases, repaints, and revisions with fewer models (like this year's birds of prey-5 models?).

I notice that your Dinotales list left out the Dunkleosteus...that figure would be super if the tail weren't so off-putting. Unless there is some fossil evidence of a forked heterocercal tail in Dunkleosteus that I was not aware of (the favorite models did the same thing...is it a Japan thing?)?

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on May 27, 2015, 03:07:16 AM
I notice that your Dinotales list left out the Dunkleosteus...that figure would be super if the tail weren't so off-putting. Unless there is some fossil evidence of a forked heterocercal tail in Dunkleosteus that I was not aware of (the favorite models did the same thing...is it a Japan thing?)?

That's a great question. I know that lots of animals in the Cleveland Shale left full-body impressions, but I don't know about Dunkleosteus in particular--its size might have precluded that. As you're of course aware, plenty of pelagic organisms have a lobed tail in which one fin is supported by the caudal skeleton and the other is rays or other connective tissue (sharks, chondrosteans, ichthyosaurs, mosasaurs to a lesser extent). And I would think that, biomechanically, the evolutionary "incentive" to build such a lobed tail--to shed vortices away from your streamline--would increase with body size. That said, plenty of body outlines are known from smaller arthrodires like Coccosteus, and all the ones I've seen lack a second lobe. So unless someone knows of an arthrodire fossil that shows the other lobe (which is definitely possible, as I'm not a paleontologist), I think the most parsimonious assumption is to leave the lobe off.

I had the Kaiyodo Dunkleosteus and I gave it to one of my friends, who IS a fish paleontologist, for her birthday. I'm quite happy with the WS version (and I'll buy the Favorite at some point).

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 27, 2015, 03:57:49 AM
Quote from: SBell on May 27, 2015, 03:07:16 AM

That's a great question. I know that lots of animals in the Cleveland Shale left full-body impressions, but I don't know about Dunkleosteus in particular--its size might have precluded that. As you're of course aware, plenty of pelagic organisms have a lobed tail in which one fin is supported by the caudal skeleton and the other is rays or other connective tissue (sharks, chondrosteans, ichthyosaurs, mosasaurs to a lesser extent). And I would think that, biomechanically, the evolutionary "incentive" to build such a lobed tail--to shed vortices away from your streamline--would increase with body size. That said, plenty of body outlines are known from smaller arthrodires like Coccosteus, and all the ones I've seen lack a second lobe. So unless someone knows of an arthrodire fossil that shows the other lobe (which is definitely possible, as I'm not a paleontologist), I think the most parsimonious assumption is to leave the lobe off.

I had the Kaiyodo Dunkleosteus and I gave it to one of my friends, who IS a fish paleontologist, for her birthday. I'm quite happy with the WS version (and I'll buy the Favorite at some point).

The WS is definitely the best one, even compared to any of the resin kits. The Favorite is good, but it also has the forked tail (but a nice stand!). I've done the same searches and found the same thing--when the tail of an arthrodire is known, I could only find the pointed single fin, never a fork.

Tapejara1122

Does anyone know where I can get the marine reptile toob? (Safari) I looked for it on amazon and ebay, but didnt find it? Please help I really like marines and having that toob would be great!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Tapejara1122 on May 27, 2015, 10:15:45 PM
Does anyone know where I can get the marine reptile toob? (Safari) I looked for it on amazon and ebay, but didnt find it? Please help I really like marines and having that toob would be great!
http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Ltd-Prehistoric-Life-TOOB/dp/B0031MSYHK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432761787&sr=8-2&keywords=prehistoric+toob

Here it is! It's called the Prehistoric Sea Life Toob.

Tapejara1122

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 27, 2015, 10:25:02 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Ltd-Prehistoric-Life-TOOB/dp/B0031MSYHK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432761787&sr=8-2&keywords=prehistoric+toob

YESSSSS SCORE THANK YOU  ;D

SBell

Quote from: Tapejara1122 on May 27, 2015, 10:34:30 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on May 27, 2015, 10:25:02 PM

YESSSSS SCORE THANK YOU  ;D

Or, you know, shameless plug for my store...the terrible Canadian dollar means inadvertent savings for other countries!

http://faunafigures.com/product/safari-ltd-prehistoric-sea-life-toob/

I also have the sharks, crocs and Cambrian toobs.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: