News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Gryphon's Gryphons/Griffins

Started by Gryphoceratops, May 02, 2012, 06:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

In my opinion this one is the best, (not counting that McFarlane one, since it was never released :(. Maybe it will be someday ::).

[attachment msg=12601][/attachment]

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

amargasaurus cazaui

Unless I missed him, you are missing the most obvious griffin of all, the Protoceratops !!! As it was the basis for the griffin legend according to at least one author, who gave a very sold explanation for its origin and story, a protoceratops would fit quite well here.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gryphoceratops

lol you are preaching to the choir.  One of the reasons I love griffins so much is because they were originally based off of ceratopsid dinosaurs.  I actually go over that briefly in my latest post on the njdino site (June 14th post).  It is also believed that the legend of the cyclops is based on skulls from mammoths and elephants.   :o

http://jerseyboyhuntsdinosaurs.blogspot.com/#!/2012/06/extinct-animals-are-still-animals.html

I certainly have several protoceratops models.  I just keep them on display with the other dinosaurs.   ^-^

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on June 27, 2012, 08:44:02 PM
lol you are preaching to the choir.  One of the reasons I love griffins so much is because they were originally based off of ceratopsid dinosaurs.  I actually go over that briefly in my latest post on the njdino site (June 14th post).  It is also believed that the legend of the cyclops is based on skulls from mammoths and elephants.   :o

http://jerseyboyhuntsdinosaurs.blogspot.com/#!/2012/06/extinct-animals-are-still-animals.html

I certainly have several protoceratops models.  I just keep them on display with the other dinosaurs.   ^-^

Oh well, cannot blame a guy for making sure you were aware of it. I do love the symmetry of the possible origin of the fabled animal being a dinosaur.I get fascinated with such possibilities....suppose an amargasaurus had a sail, what would he resemble more than a dragon? And Dracorex...just fascinating animals imbedded throughout our most ancient fables.
  I am for the record, a big fan of the basal ceratopsians, although not so much the grandkids of the family.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gryphoceratops

No worries.   ^-^  Its likely that a LOT of mythical creatures were based off dinosaur or other prehistoric animal fossils.  I find it funny how some stupid people ask the question "How do we know dinosaurs really existed?  The first one was discovered only in the 1800s!"  Well...no we have been discovering dinosaurs for thousands of years most likely.  We just weren't calling them "dinosaurs" is all. 

Paleona

Nice collection!  I love the Kaiyodo's expression.. so startled! xD  It's fun to see a figure with so much life.

tyrantqueen

Does this model interest you? This is a Warhammer but is definitely a model of a gryphon :)

I found this particular model on eBay. I thought the talons and wings are especially beautiful :)

Also Jody Bergsma makes nice gryphons too.

Pilkington

Mage Knights has a couple of Giffins:

Armies of Arcana also has a Griffin:

Imaginext has made two Griffins for their Castle line:

Ral Partha made a few as well:

If you go to this site:  http://www.coolminiornot.com/ and search Griffin or Griffon there are pictures of the Griffins figures from the various miniature games out there.
If you wanna be alone, come with me

Gryphoceratops

Ohh wow.  That first warhammer one must be the new version of the Empire Griffon (I have the old one).  I have been wanting the imaginex griffins for a while now but can never find them. 

pylraster

That Warhammer Griffin is truly impressive, and it looks very majestic! Though his lower half seems to be based on a tiger and not a lion! ^_^

tyrantqueen

Quote from: pylraster on September 04, 2012, 04:19:14 AM
That Warhammer Griffin is truly impressive, and it looks very majestic! Though his lower half seems to be based on a tiger and not a lion! ^_^
Griffins do not always have to have a lion for their lower body. Lion is the traditional look but sometimes it can be changed around. I have seen all kinds of felines used, for example leopard, tiger, panther etc

CityRaptor

Which reminds of something I saw once:
http://humon.deviantart.com/art/Griffins-292610733

Also, Gilda is now available on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=gilda+pony&LH_PrefLoc=2
Seems like buying the set is cheaper than buying her alone. Maybe you could cusomize those ponies a bit so that they can pull of a dead horse...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Takama

Jetoar

Quote from: Takama on November 18, 2012, 11:47:13 PM

New from Schilich

Uooo amazing griffin. I dont know that Schleich have done a griffin. He is a perfect gift for my girlfriend  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Takama

It wont be out until next year. Makes me wonder why cant they Do the same detailing with there dinosaurs.

Jetoar

I think the same that you friend :).
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Gryphoceratops

Wow cool stuff guys!  I'll have to look into some of those. 

Yes there ARE variants on what people consider a "griffin" like the lion with wings or the snake headed creature from Mesopotamia but I really just think its modern culture lumping stuff together.  Its like the Asian dragons and the european dragons- the two don't have any real cultural connection to each other but we call them both dragons anyway.  The "true" griffins are from the stories likely started by protoceratops fossils and are described as head and wings of an eagle and body of a lion.  Front legs I have seen either eagle or lion. 

Tyrantqueen- yeah there are a lot of variants in the cat part and bird part.  I have seen falcon/leopard or owl/lynx for example but all of these are modern images like from Warhammer or Magic the Gathering.  I know there is a kind of sphinx from Egyptian culture that has a lion body and a bird head called a hierocosphinx.  Similar...lol but I guess its a sphinx not a griffin.  Its all subjective I suppose although I do wonder if any other variants exist in ancient art/culture. 

Himmapaan

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on November 19, 2012, 01:52:12 PM
Yes there ARE variants on what people consider a "griffin" like the lion with wings or the snake headed creature from Mesopotamia but I really just think its modern culture lumping stuff together.

It is. And oh, boy, I can go on at some length about the propensity for lumping in recent popular culture. *Eye twitch*

Dragons are almost unique in that almost every region of the world has its own manifestation of the creature which it recognises as a 'dragon', even though they can vary a great deal in general appearance.

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: Himmapaan on November 19, 2012, 02:34:17 PM
Quote from: Gryphoceratops on November 19, 2012, 01:52:12 PM
Yes there ARE variants on what people consider a "griffin" like the lion with wings or the snake headed creature from Mesopotamia but I really just think its modern culture lumping stuff together.

It is. And oh, boy, I can go on at some length about the propensity for lumping in recent popular culture. *Eye twitch*

Dragons are almost unique in that almost every region of the world has its own manifestation of the creature which it recognises as a 'dragon', even though they can vary a great deal in general appearance.

It also depends on what you consider a dragon.  Any large monstrous reptile it seems fits the bill. 

Iguanocolossus

Ah, my favorite mythological beasties. The Wild Safari and Harryhausen Griffins are on my wish list. These guys need more publicity. Great collection-while you can't really play with the Warhammer figures, they're gorgeous

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: