News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: Theropod and Sauropod Nest Dioramas

Started by joossa, July 21, 2015, 05:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joossa

Rebor Theropod and Sauropod Nest Dioramas
A dozen eggs per nest. Eggs are removable from base.
Scale: No Scale
Tease Image Release Date: N/A
Black and White Image Release Date: N/A
Color Image Release Date: 06/03/15
Estimated Date Product Available for Purchase: August, 2015 (BBTS)

This thread is for specific discussion on Rebor's Theropod and Sauropod Nest Dioramas. Below are Rebor's statements on this product and product images from their FaceBook page and from this forum.

Quotes:

06/03/15:
QuoteRemember the first time you went to a natural history museum when you were a child? You were so amazed and impressed by things you saw there, and you really wanted to bring this prehistoric wonderland home, so you started to cut some paperboard and foam to make your own diorama, making trees with branches, building dinosaur nests with Play-Doh, scattering your dino toys around. Come on, we can't be the only ones who tried that before! But the problem is we can't really preserve these childhood creations well long enough, as time goes by all those moments would lost in time, like tears in rain. That's why diorama bases are included in all REBOR products, we want to offer you something that are well crafted by the professional model makers and can last over many years.

Theropods build nest on warm sand while Sauropods lay eggs on the muddy lake shore, it's just one of those good old days a few million years ago, and we want to recreate this prehistoric scene for you, therefore we've designed these non-scale nests to allow you to use them as components for your own diorama, or simply displaying them next you your dinosaur replicas on the shelf.

Although they are small items (we used King T-rex for size comparison) however they are packed with details, both nests were painted with colours that can be found in nature to create super realistic effects, and both nests content 12 eggs that were hand painted individually by artists, we spared no expense to achieve perfection, because we know these are something that you always wanted in the past. The idea behind REBOR is to bring museum home, always was, and always will be. :)

Theropod Nest (06/03/15):

Sauropod Nest (06/03/15):

Comparison Shots with the Rebor Rex (06/03/15):

Packaging Material Preview (06/17/15):

Black Underside Labels (07/10/15):

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Arul

Well its non-scale they said but what do you think guys,  are theropod egg is on the correct scale with rebor trex or other trex figure like from papo or collecta ?

Viking Spawn

I wonder if these will be PVC or polystone?

Arul

Jurrasic Collectables review this stuff, very very cool !!! They are removable from the base.

Viking Spawn

I watched those reviews too!  The removeable eggs are a nice touch!  Good job Rebor!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Viking Spawn on July 21, 2015, 01:25:55 PM
I think at this point Rebor's signature move is polystone base + PVC removable elements; I'd guess the same for these guys.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Viking Spawn

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 01, 2015, 03:42:47 PM
Quote from: Viking Spawn on July 21, 2015, 01:25:55 PM
I think at this point Rebor's signature move is polystone base + PVC removable elements; I'd guess the same for these guys.

I'm good with that.  Its having the best of both worlds in this case.  I'd don't have "Jolly" yet.  That one is next on my list and will order that one when the latest round of Rebor dinos are released later this month too.

Monkeysaurus

If the theropod eggs were the correct scale relative to the Rebor Rex, does anyone know how large they'd actually be? Thanks
Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean

Halichoeres

Quote from: Monkeysaurus on August 02, 2015, 05:34:27 PM
If the theropod eggs were the correct scale relative to the Rebor Rex, does anyone know how large they'd actually be? Thanks
Pretty small, like no more than 2 centimeters.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

amargasaurus cazaui

I am no good at figuring scale and what not, but I can tell that we have little for Tyrannosaurus eggs to work with, however if you accept Tarbosaurus as being similar enough, a few eggs were found that are accredited to Tarbo were roughly 18 inches long, similar size to what are supposedly the eggs Baby Louie, the Gigantaraptor was found with. Gigantraptor was guessed to be about 26 feet long and if the eggs found with Baby Louie are in fact from this species they were 53 centimeters long. If you follow this conversion standard  1 centimeter = 0.393700787 inches then for an egg 53 centimeters you get a length of 20.866 inches. That at least gives you some idea of size for a larger theropod egg....the next oviraptorid we have in size, down from Giangantaraptor seems to be Citipatti and their eggs seem to max out around eight inches long total.Down from that you get Oviraptor itself at about six inches for an egg. (This is all provided the many eggs and nest determined as oviraptors and citipattis are in fact from this pair of species, something Ken Carpenter said is possible but not a given)
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Monkeysaurus

Thanks for the info guys. I was asking because while I definitely want to pick these guys up, I don't know if they'd look too disproportionately goofy next to the Rebor or Papo Rex. I put all my dinosaurs together in a giant diorama like setting with fake rocks, ginkgos, and ferns etc. Maybe they'd work next to the Papo Brachiosaurus, which if I'm not mistaken, just laid eggs while walking in a line without building a nest? I read something about sauropods being lousy parents and just plopping their eggs wherever, lol, however you guys could correct me if I'm wrong.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Monkeysaurus on August 02, 2015, 09:48:17 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I was asking because while I definitely want to pick these guys up, I don't know if they'd look too disproportionately goofy next to the Rebor or Papo Rex. I put all my dinosaurs together in a giant diorama like setting with fake rocks, ginkgos, and ferns etc. Maybe they'd work next to the Papo Brachiosaurus, which if I'm not mistaken, just laid eggs while walking in a line without building a nest? I read something about sauropods being lousy parents and just plopping their eggs wherever, lol, however you guys could correct me if I'm wrong.
I have dealt with these nest previously in I believe the regular Rebor thread, but the short take is...neither nest is particularly accurate to what they are stated as being. Sizewise it is a hard call to make....and I wont argue it either way. Sauropods came ina  variety of sizes and likely laid a variety of egg sizes as well.
   Accuracy is another matter, and I dealt with that topic here regarding the nests. There is a link there that shows somewhat the accepted or most common sauropod nesting style.  The short version is the theropod nest is too small in size, and should have paired eggs around the edge. The sauropod nest would actually make a stunning hadrosaur nest in my opinion, but not so much sauropods. .....http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3099.msg100241#msg100241
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Arul

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 02, 2015, 08:18:23 PM
Quote from: Monkeysaurus on August 02, 2015, 05:34:27 PM
Pretty small, like no more than 2 centimeters.
Well they make it non-scale, so they can show the detail on it. The theropod eggs looks little bit oversize for other figure but i think its good for rebor king trex. Rebor theropod egg is 2cm long

Monkeysaurus

Interesting read Amarasaurus. Never seen a trench like design for sauropod nests before. I recently watched a documentary that said it appeared as though they just plopped eggs out as they walked along - laying so many that they essentially "flooded" the environment with babies so as to overwhelm potential predators with sheer numbers like sea turtles. It fits well with what we know about their tiny brains, being barely large enough for instinctive functions, let alone any complex task. Though I suppose digging a trench is simple enough.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Monkeysaurus on August 03, 2015, 10:02:42 PM
Interesting read Amarasaurus. Never seen a trench like design for sauropod nests before. I recently watched a documentary that said it appeared as though they just plopped eggs out as they walked along - laying so many that they essentially "flooded" the environment with babies so as to overwhelm potential predators with sheer numbers like sea turtles. It fits well with what we know about their tiny brains, being barely large enough for instinctive functions, let alone any complex task. Though I suppose digging a trench is simple enough.
One thing to make note of, the diagram I posted is related to Titanosaurs.....and it is possible smaller sauropods utilized a different nesting method. That being said there are some issues with the plopped them out as they walked along idea. If the eggs required heat to hatch and have nothing covering them, like sand or foliage it could be an issue . Another problem is the obvious, depending how long the egg might take to hatch, in the interim you are talking about a high protein risk free meal for anything to take, if they are just laying there . If you have ever held a sauropod egg in your hands you realize even the smaller ones are soccer ball size and they are often bigger. Thats alot of free cheese just laying there for anything that wants to eat it......I have an oviraptor egg and I can demonstrate for instance where simple bugs bored through the shell, ate the chick within, and then bored out the other side. Just leaving the eggs laying around is not likely a good strategy...from what I can determine.

Monkeysaurus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 04, 2015, 03:00:10 AM
Just leaving the eggs laying around is not likely a good strategy...from what I can determine.
Good point. Sea turtles bury their eggs and they still get massacred.

Monkeysaurus

Both Rebor theropod and sauropod nests arrived at my house this past Friday and they're a fantastic addition to my Dino collection! I must say, however, that I'm a little more fond of the theropod nest, as I feel it has a much more organic vibe to it. While I like the sauropod one very much, it is almost a little too symmetrical for me in a way that resembles a dog bowl, and the uniform paint job on the nest portion of it doesn't feel as natural as its counterpart. I'm not commenting on the scientific accuracy btw, just its visual appeal. Both sets of eggs are excellently sculpted to display subtle imperfections and differences you'd expect to find in real dinosaur eggs, such as porous or bumpy surfaces. The paint job also gives them a gritty sort of look, like they've been in the dirt, which in real life they would have been. Both are definitely worth picking up the for the price they're asking, however if you have to choose one, I'd go for the theropod nest. Great work Rebor!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Monkeysaurus on August 23, 2015, 07:50:22 PM
Both Rebor theropod and sauropod nests arrived at my house this past Friday and they're a fantastic addition to my Dino collection! I must say, however, that I'm a little more fond of the theropod nest, as I feel it has a much more organic vibe to it. While I like the sauropod one very much, it is almost a little too symmetrical for me in a way that resembles a dog bowl, and the uniform paint job on the nest portion of it doesn't feel as natural as its counterpart. I'm not commenting on the scientific accuracy btw, just its visual appeal. Both sets of eggs are excellently sculpted to display subtle imperfections and differences you'd expect to find in real dinosaur eggs, such as porous or bumpy surfaces. The paint job also gives them a gritty sort of look, like they've been in the dirt, which in real life they would have been. Both are definitely worth picking up the for the price they're asking, however if you have to choose one, I'd go for the theropod nest. Great work Rebor!

The sauropod nest would work well for a hadrosaur (e.g. WS Gryposaurus) or a future REBOR hadrosaur.  The theropod nest has an excellent, realistic texture...it's a bit simplified in terms of layout (it should probably have an extra layer of eggs)...but heck...these nests are still amongst the most accurate found for mass produced dinosaur toys/models!  ;)

I'm glad that REBOR is experimenting with different pricing structures. Perhaps, they will release a set of micro-dinosaurs (Compy or Anurognathus) for $15-19  :)

ItsTwentyBelow

Yes! A set (or sets) of smaller animals in 1:35, perhaps with a small diorama base to help flesh out a display, would be so cool.

They could do small dinosaurs, as well as crocodilians, turtles, or other animals which existed during the Mesozoic to really fill out a scene.

Dilopho

I wonder what the embryos are supposed to be on the underside. The first one looks kind of like an allosaur....

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: