News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Tyrannosauron's customs

Started by Tyrannosauron, August 04, 2015, 05:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrannosauron

The recent heat wave in Oregon forced me to take up a hobby that doesn't require going outside, so I've started customizing. Here's my first attempt.

I really liked the sculpt on the latest Carnegie rex, which reminds me of the Black Hills Institute's Stan. The paint job on mine left a bit to be desired so I decided to repaint it in the color scheme that John Conway used in his illustration of a sleeping Stan in "All Yesterdays." At first I was worried that the end result was too clown-ish, but there's a kind of J-horror vibe that's growing on me.

Thanks for looking! Any constructive criticism would be much appreciated.

tyrantqueen

Looks great for your first try. Also very neat, which is good.

My advice to improve would be to consider using a wash in some of the crevices (skin fold around the neck and legs, for example). It's kind of hard to make out the details of the face because the white paint obscures it, so a wash would be really useful here.

Also dry brushing and highlighting would also help to bring some dimensionality to the paint.

Here's some information for these techniques if you want to try them:
http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature_painting_drybrushing.html
http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature_painting_washing.html

Jetoar

Really cool scheme color and nice paint application  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Dinomike

I really like the sculpt as well! Your paint scheme is very good! I would maybe add some dry brushing or subtle tones to bring out the details.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Tyrannosauron

Thanks for the feedback!

Highlighting the details would be great, but in my excitement over finding a $0.50 bottle of Testors dullcote yesterday I already applied a topcoat layer. Would it be too late to try a wash to bring out the folds and wrinkles?

Dinomike

Quote from: Tyrannosauron on August 05, 2015, 09:05:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

Highlighting the details would be great, but in my excitement over finding a $0.50 bottle of Testors dullcote yesterday I already applied a topcoat layer. Would it be too late to try a wash to bring out the folds and wrinkles?

I have repainted some of my figures at least twice - even after the varnish. So it think it should be fine. :)
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

pylraster

Should be fine. By the way I just noticed, this figure's eyes are misaligned.. Hmmm.

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: pylraster on August 07, 2015, 02:03:20 PM
Should be fine. By the way I just noticed, this figure's eyes are misaligned.. Hmmm.

Yeah, that frustrates me more than the tripod pose. That's why I painted the eyes entirely black rather than yellow with pupils: it hides the asymmetry a little bit.

Tyrannosauron

I picked up an extra Battat Terra Nanshiungosaurus on clearance with the intention to repaint it and decided to try my hand at sculpting some integument first. Here are some progress shots (and apologies for the poor lighting):

Thanks for looking! Feedback appreciated.

Tyto_Theropod

Looking great Tyrannosauron! To me, the feathers really improve it, and for me at least you've managed to capture how I picture their integument might have looked.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Shuvuuia

Those filaments look super cool. How did you manage to add those?

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: Shuvuuia on August 15, 2015, 11:26:06 PM
Those filaments look super cool. How did you manage to add those?

Individually. It took me about a week of rolling them out, cutting them down, and applying them one by one. Probably not the most efficient way to do things. Thanks for the kind words!

I do want to make something clear: I don't mean to imply that I dislike Dan's original figure in any way or disagree with his decision to omit feathers. The original sculpt is great and his reasoning strikes me as valid. I just thought it would be fun to tackle a more complicated project.

Sim

Very impressive job on the Nanshiungosaurus, Tyrannosauron!  I was going to ask how you did the feathers, they do look like they were done individually!  I'm not surprised it took you around a week!  Did you model the feathers after the ones on another animal?  I see a resemblance to emu feathers...  One other question, what did you make the feathers out of?

I think it's more likely Nanshiungosaurus had feathers than it didn't, but I'm not an expert.  I also find Dan's reasoning on not giving the Nanshiungosaurus feathers valid, and I'm open to it possibly not having feathers even if I find that less likely.  I'm glad Dan thought about it and went with what he thought was most likely, I definitely prefer that than to not give a dinosaur restoration much thought and just go with currently popular ideas - some which I've seen are unfounded.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I like the result! I might just go to Target and see if they are still on sale for three bucks and have a try at it.  :)
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: Sim on August 17, 2015, 03:24:49 PM
Very impressive job on the Nanshiungosaurus, Tyrannosauron!  I was going to ask how you did the feathers, they do look like they were done individually!  I'm not surprised it took you around a week!  Did you model the feathers after the ones on another animal?  I see a resemblance to emu feathers...  One other question, what did you make the feathers out of?

Thanks! I looked at emu feathers, yes, but mostly used the cassowary as a reference. I'm planning on a cassowary-like color scheme (black feathers, blue/red neck), at any rate.

I used Sculpey III clay. Not sure I'll do that again. The filaments I added first got smoothed out from handling while I added others later and a few broke off during the curing (i.e., boiling) process. Then again, this is my first real attempt at sculpting, so I don't know if those would be common problems regardless of the medium.

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Tyrannosauron on August 17, 2015, 11:16:45 PM
Quote from: Sim on August 17, 2015, 03:24:49 PM

Thanks! I looked at emu feathers, yes, but mostly used the cassowary as a reference. I'm planning on a cassowary-like color scheme (black feathers, blue/red neck), at any rate.

I used Sculpey III clay. Not sure I'll do that again. The filaments I added first got smoothed out from handling while I added others later and a few broke off during the curing (i.e., boiling) process. Then again, this is my first real attempt at sculpting, so I don't know if those would be common problems regardless of the medium.

This is why I use epoxy, but then again I have no recent experience with sculpy so someone who does might be able to give you some tips.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Tyrannosauron

Well, it took a lot longer than I expected--teaching obligations this semester hit me like a ton of bricks--but I finally managed to get my feathered Nanshiungosaurus painted. Here's the result!

Kovu

Awesome custom Tyrannosauron! I'm digging the cassowary colors!

Arul

Kasuari (thats how indonesian spell it) format :D really nice idea, paint, and sculpt

MLMjp

Very nice job with the feathering, but personally I´m getting tired of the Cassowary look on feathered dinos.....

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: