News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

British Museum (Natural History) by Invicta

Started by DinoToyForum, May 07, 2012, 12:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Quote from: bigbear on March 02, 2014, 05:51:36 PM
Oi! Dapletodave, it's not nice to call people names, even if you do think they're stupid! Having got that off my chest, I do agree with you about the differences/similarities between Invicta and Favorite. The main difference is that Favorite operate in a world where everybody and their dog makes model dinosaurs, whereas, I think that Invicta was alone in that primeval market. I certainly had some of them and also the Pyro kits, which formed my personal view of Dinos for many years. Nowadays, my shelves contain Papo, Collecta, Favorite and suchlike, as well as still having complete sets of that nostalgic group of Invicta, Pyro, etc.
I considered it to be a form of personal attack, so I reported to a mod.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 02, 2014, 05:53:19 PM
Quote from: bigbear on March 02, 2014, 05:51:36 PM
Oi! Dapletodave, it's not nice to call people names, even if you do think they're stupid! Having got that off my chest, I do agree with you about the differences/similarities between Invicta and Favorite. The main difference is that Favorite operate in a world where everybody and their dog makes model dinosaurs, whereas, I think that Invicta was alone in that primeval market. I certainly had some of them and also the Pyro kits, which formed my personal view of Dinos for many years. Nowadays, my shelves contain Papo, Collecta, Favorite and suchlike, as well as still having complete sets of that nostalgic group of Invicta, Pyro, etc.
I considered it to be a form of personal attack, so I reported to a mod.
Good!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

DinoToyForum

Daspletodave has been temporarily banned for 24 hours as a warning. That sort of post is completely uncalled for and isn't how we roll on this forum. Next time this happens it will result in an outright ban.

However, I request members not to respond publicly to such posts. If you spot a post that you think breaks a forum rule please flag it to a moderator. thank!  C:-) - Admin

tyrantqueen

Quote from: dinotoyforum on March 02, 2014, 07:08:56 PM
Daspletodave has been temporarily banned for 24 hours as a warning. That sort of post is completely uncalled for and isn't how we roll on this forum. Next time this happens it will result in an outright ban.

However, I request members not to respond publicly to such posts. If you spot a post that you think breaks a forum rule please flag it to a moderator. thank!  C:-) - Admin
Okay, will do in future. Hopefully it won't happen again. Thanks :)

Anyway, back on topic. If there's anyone who is interested in the Invicta line and its history, I remember that there were a series of articles written by Anthony Beeson for Prehistoric Times that went into detail about their backstory. I thought the part about the Invicta Troodon was interesting (apparently they had copyright issues with it...?)

postsaurischian

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 02, 2014, 07:14:15 PM

I think it was aimed at me ;). I deleted my post. I was a bit angry at first :-[.

FUTABA

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 02, 2014, 07:14:15 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on March 02, 2014, 07:08:56 PM

Anyway, back on topic. If there's anyone who is interested in the Invicta line and its history, I remember that there were a series of articles written by Anthony Beeson for Prehistoric Times that went into detail about their backstory. I thought the part about the Invicta Troodon was interesting (apparently they had copyright issues with it...?)

I'd like to find out more about that, if you have any links or anything I'd be grateful. :)
I really really like blue things.

Libraraptor

Quote from: Crackington on November 18, 2013, 11:38:10 PM
I think we should bear in mind that the lambeosaurus, baryonix and muttaburrasaurus were produced much later than the T-Rex and the other Invicta "tail-draggers", when the science had moved on.  It makes you wonder what might have been if the relationship between the NHM and Invicta had kept going...

sigh... this has been a dream of mine from the day I bought my last unpainted Invicta.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Libraraptor on March 02, 2014, 07:53:53 PM
I think we should bear in mind that the lambeosaurus, baryonix and muttaburrasaurus were produced much later than the T-Rex and the other Invicta "tail-draggers", when the science had moved on.  It makes you wonder what might have been if the relationship between the NHM and Invicta had kept going...

sigh... this has been a dream of mine from the day I bought my last unpainted Invicta.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be Invicta, just the sculptor(s?) they used.  ^-^ They were obviously skilled but do we know who they were? Perhaps it says so in the Prehistoric Times article?

tyrantqueen

The sculptor of the Invicta Stenonychosaurus was a bloke called Robert "Roby" Braun. He sculpted various life sized models as well as toys. I don't know if he sculpted the rest of the line, but maybe. I'll have to check through my PT issues and read more.

Apparently, there were issues with the model from the get go because the ankles were too thin for injection moulding. The model was issued with a base because Invicta was worried it would not stand by itself. The original model also possessed sickle claws, but they were removed at Invicta's request. The model was made out of scale with the rest of the line because making it in 1/45 would have been too small.

The story about the Steno being retired because of copyright issues is actually incorrect. Supposedly, there was a sexual scandal involved with the individual who commissioned the models for the NHM (not sure of his full name, the article refers to him as S.B.J) and they didn't want to be associated with it. According to someone else, there was a "disagreement" between the two parties.

All of this is recorded in detail in PT #102.

stoneage

Quote from: dinotoyforum on March 02, 2014, 11:13:39 PM

It wouldn't necessarily have to be Invicta, just the sculptor(s?) they used.  ^-^ They were obviously skilled but do we know who they were? Perhaps it says so in the Prehistoric Times article?

Most of the Invicta Figures were sculpted by Arthur Hayward: (Diplodocus, Stegosaurus, Triceratops, Iguanodon, Megalosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Scelidosaurus, Pteranodon, Plesiosaurus and Ichthylosaurus).  He also sculpted almost all the famous special effects animated puppets used in Ray Harryhausens pictures including "Mysterious Island To The Valley Of Gwangi".  The Wooley Mammoth was sculpted by John Holmes, who also did a Wooley Rhinoceros that never made it into production. He now does freelance museum production models.  Tony McVey scupted the Glyptodon and now works in the film industry.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stoneage on March 03, 2014, 12:17:05 AM

Most of the Invicta Figures were sculpted by Arthur Hayward: (Diplodocus, Stegosaurus, Triceratops, Iguanodon, Megalosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Scelidosaurus, Pteranodon, Plesiosaurus and Ichthylosaurus).  He also sculpted almost all the famous special effects animated puppets used in Ray Harryhausens pictures including "Mysterious Island To The Valley Of Gwangi".  The Wooley Mammoth was sculpted by John Holmes, who also did a Wooley Rhinoceros that never made it into production. He now does freelance museum production models.  Tony McVey scupted the Glyptodon and now works in the film industry.

Cool, I didn't know Tony did that one. He also did several dinosaur models including the Sideshow Spinosaurus.

There is a couple PT articles on Invicta,  I think from..last year ?

Libraraptor

Quote from: stoneage on March 03, 2014, 12:17:05 AM

Maybe we can convince Mr. Hayward  to start a great comeback for us dino figure fans?! Nothing is impossible! How about 3D series production. Any species requests?  :D :)) ;D

Modified: I just read  that he is dead.  How about Mr Holmes? Who would buy the Wooley Rhino if it went into production?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Tony still does commissions too.  Robert Braun is still making dinosaurs, you can find him under Miles R. Braun. His Allosaurus is pretty recognizable I think :

DinoToyForum

Thanks for the info, that's great! It is a shame those guys weren't brought on board by Toyway when they produced their dire NHM line.  ;)

Libraraptor

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 03, 2014, 08:21:49 PM
Tony still does commissions too.  Robert Braun is still making dinosaurs, you can find him under Miles R. Braun. His Allosaurus is pretty recognizable I think :

Can´t anyone make it smaller and a monochrome plastic  figure out of it?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Libraraptor on March 23, 2014, 09:30:16 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 03, 2014, 08:21:49 PM

Can´t anyone make it smaller and a monochrome plastic  figure out of it?

I wish they would !

Invicta Hunter

I bought a painted t rex with some differences today. It has no painted eyes, mouth or claws and it's not made from the usual clear rubbery plastic but instead a red rubber. So quite different, has anyone else come across this one before?

][/[URL=http://s1352.photobucket.com/user/InvictaVariant/media/RedRex2_zpsf7edbd70.jpg.html]

Daspletodave

I think the clear rubbery plastic was not the norm. I have the same red painted T-Rex, but the eyes, teeth and claws are painted. They just got missed on yours.
The "normal" unpainted Invicta dinos were all made in a variety of colors - blue, green, yellow, purple etc. And the same mold (ie Stegosaurus) has been seen in several colors. So they mixed it up a bit during the long production run of this line.

Invicta Hunter

I think the clear rubber was the standard plastic used for the painted line. The vast majority of my painted figures have a little paint wear and i can see the clear rubber underneath. This rex is the only painted figure ive ever seen that was made in a different colour plastic. All the other colour variants i own except two are made of a softer plastic like this rex. Maybe Invicta intended to paint them and then changed their minds or they could have just been made to be sold like that.

Libraraptor

I don´t care what it is actually made of - I want to have it!!! :)) :))

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: