News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Carnegie Collection by Safari Ltd

Started by Takama, May 08, 2012, 04:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Paleona on September 08, 2015, 10:29:41 PM
Nice.  I guess I should have said, does anyone have any photos of a repainted 2014 rex? haha 
Would love to see a pic of yours.  :)
A thread I did some time ago featuring many of the Carnegies, repainted by Copper, Martin Garrat and even Bob Morales.....somewhere in there is a shot of the redo I had Martin do on the 2014 Rex.

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3208.msg91707#msg91707
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Halichoeres

Those repaints are unbelievable. Even the Acrocanthosaurus looks good!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dobber

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 08, 2015, 10:54:51 PM
Quote from: Paleona on September 08, 2015, 10:29:41 PM
Nice.  I guess I should have said, does anyone have any photos of a repainted 2014 rex? haha 
Would love to see a pic of yours.  :)
A thread I did some time ago featuring many of the Carnegies, repainted by Copper, Martin Garrat and even Bob Morales.....somewhere in there is a shot of the redo I had Martin do on the 2014 Rex.

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3208.msg91707#msg91707

Fantastic repaints! The Rex really does look ALOT better!

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Sim on September 08, 2015, 12:54:16 AM
The discussion about how diagonal or horizontal theropod walking/standing posture would be is informative.  I have some thoughts on this...

Well first of all, theropods are a very diverse group of animals.  What might be the normal posture for one species of theropod might not be for another species.  This is actually known to be true, as it can be seen by looking at extant birds.  Just compare a penguin and an ostrich for example.  Their bodies are very different, but then so are the bodies of Tyrannosaurus and Nothronychus.

Cassowary skeleton:

Cassowaries tend to keep their bodies quite horizontal.  Same with ostriches, emus, rheas...  Just pointing out some examples of quite 'horizontal' theropods.

Another theropod pose based on a scientific study in addition to Barney Newman's Tyrannosaurus, is Scott Hartman's Deinocheirus: http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/deinocheirus-therizinosaur-or-hadrosaur-mimic7102015  Here's some very interesting things he said in that post:
QuoteOne thing I spent a lot of time on while producing this skeletal reconstruction was the articulation of the vertebral column. The results of course were weird - any attempt to restore Deinocheirus was doomed to weirdness of course, it's just an odd duck.  But I no longer agree with my own first impressions of the animal. First off, I'm not convinced that Deinocheirus actually walked with the pelvis tilted up like early reconstructions suggested - the pelvis lacks the adaptations seen in therizinosaurs that would suggest habitually being tilted upright. Also, when the tail vertebrae of the adult are carefully placed in a neutral articulation, they don't show any more of an upright curve than other "ordinary" theropods
So apparently, it looks like there's also been scientific study that's suggested (some) therizinosaurs have an upright posture (which would result in a diagonal back).  This, and the part about the adult Deinocheirus's tail (there's a note about the juvenile specimen at the end) not showing any more of an upright curve than other "ordinary" theropods appears to suggest a more horizontal posture as the normal walking/standing posture for non-bird theropods that aren't the therizinosaurs with those pelvis adaptations.

This might not be throwing anything off but just in case it is, I noticed Barney Newman's T. rex mount seems to have a pubis quite different from the T. rex pubes I've seen.  One comparison below:

That Tyrannosaurus skeletal above in that quite horizontal posture is by the same guy who did that Deinocheirus study and skeletal in the link above...

Regarding non-bird theropods finding it difficult to keep a near-horizontal posture when walking or standing still, this might be true for some (e.g. derived therizinosaurs), but is there any evidence suggesting this for others, or all?  It's now known dinosaur tails had more muscle than many people previously thought, especially in most non-bird theropods.  Since muscle tends to be relatively heavy, it seems possible to me many theropods could keep near-horizontal postures.

Good points that should be explored by some bio mechanical analyses. Note that Hartman link is a blog post where he talks about trying to restore bones in a way that work, nothing is being tested so it's not a study.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

amargasaurus cazaui

Thanks guys regarding the repaints....Martin is across the pond for me, so if I want something done and do not want to pay exhorbitant rates due to the postal fees, I have to find models that represent well , have decent sculpts and most of all are compact and ship well. I work alot with Carnegies for that reason. Most of the older members here rember Seiijun, a good friend who helped me immensely with this. She had droves of carnegie figures from lots on Ebay that were either slightly damaged or the paint was just done in from play. I would often tell her, send me your worst condition figure...because I could count on Martin to seal it over, repaint it and bring it back from the lost. Nowdays I just get two copies of the newer figures I like and have one redone...
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Paleona

Ooh, thanks for the link to your repaint thread!  I think I especially like the repainted Cryolophosaurus. <3

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Paleona on September 09, 2015, 02:10:34 PM
Ooh, thanks for the link to your repaint thread!  I think I especially like the repainted Cryolophosaurus. <3
Glad to share it , and I hope you enjoyed it. Most people seem to think I just like these figures because I am friends with Forest, nevermind I have most of them now as repaints and again as stock models. They are everywhere in my collection once I allow for the ones I have signed or used to demonstrate various fossils. I would be lost without the Carnegie collection myself.

terrorchicken

those are amazing! also is psittacosaurus your favorite dino? lol!

If I were to commission a repaint it would be a parasaurolophus in the same color scheme as the classic Jurassic Park version. I always liked those colors...not sure which brand's model Id use though...

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: terrorchicken on September 09, 2015, 06:02:21 PM

If I were to commission a repaint it would be a parasaurolophus in the same color scheme as the classic Jurassic Park version. I always liked those colors...not sure which brand's model Id use though...
I own a psittacosaurus skeleton that has been cleaned, mounted and is perhaps the central piece in my collection.As I collect I tend to focalize things around key additions...I have  a few eggs in my collection so those are also something I like to buy anything related to when I see. It keeps me from getting overwhelmed because if I tried to buy it all it would not be possible. I also collect alot of dinosaur bone, eggshells, coprolite, as well as the toys , and models. I have several psittacosaurus threads in the forum , for that reason. If it helps, think of it as an area I chose to specialize in....

Concavenator

So,amargasaurus cazaui,will the new dinosaur(s) by Forest Rogers be available in 2016? I'm so dying to see what they are!  :D

Daspletodave

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 03, 2015, 02:05:52 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 03, 2015, 01:43:51 PM
Sorry for the thread necro, but I still think this line is very much worth seeking out. True that there were some bad ones near the end of its run but there are some real gems here too.

Didn't Dan hint at some kind of collaboration between Forest Rogers and Safari in the future? I wonder how that turned out.
Forest left me a facebook message the other day to one of my postings stating to expect some very nice dinosaur related things from her coming within the year. She was purposely vague and did not mention any specifics whatsoever, so I know little for hard fact except that she is still stating there is something in the works.
This does not necessarily mean plastic dinosaur figures, it could mean artwork (drawings or paintings). Seems some people on this thread are assuming a new 1:40 scale line of dino figures from Forest (and coming from Safari no less). I wouldn't bet on it.

amargasaurus cazaui

I would agree with your point except for two things...first Forest has specifically stated her new endeavor would be dinosaur related, and secondly, she has never at least previously , been known to create paintings , drawings or two dimensional work. Generally she sculpts ....
However I quite agree with you, she could go in any direction from here and she is not giving much away for hints. She does supplement her income by sculpting various things she offers on Ebay from her Beings of the Forest theme.
  I have no idea what she has planned..wether she is going to sculpt, model or make more plastic dinosaurs . I will be sure to share anything I glean when I can however.

terrorchicken

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 09, 2015, 10:20:55 PM
Quote from: terrorchicken on September 09, 2015, 06:02:21 PM

I own a psittacosaurus skeleton that has been cleaned, mounted and is perhaps the central piece in my collection.As I collect I tend to focalize things around key additions...I have  a few eggs in my collection so those are also something I like to buy anything related to when I see. It keeps me from getting overwhelmed because if I tried to buy it all it would not be possible. I also collect alot of dinosaur bone, eggshells, coprolite, as well as the toys , and models. I have several psittacosaurus threads in the forum , for that reason. If it helps, think of it as an area I chose to specialize in....
wow thats so cool about the psittaco skeleton! I wish I had my own little dinosaur skeleton.  :))

Yutyrannus

I was wondering, what are everyone's favorite Carnegie models? Mine is by far the Ichthyosaurus.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Yutyrannus on September 12, 2015, 04:20:48 AM
I was wondering, what are everyone's favorite Carnegie models? Mine is by far the Ichthyosaurus.
Great question there..I personally find that I am very fond of the recent sculpt of the Diplodocus and I was quite fond of the Corythosaurus model as well

suspsy

I adore the Ankylosaurus, far more than I thought I would. Also the new versions of Brachiosaurus and Carnotaurus. And the Tylosaurus, even if it really did possess a tail fluke.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

John

My favorite one?
I'd have to say there are plenty I'm fond of...
The 2011 Carnotaurus,Ichthyosaurus and the mammoth have got to be in my top 3. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

joossa

What a question... Hmmm...

1. Cryolophosaurus
2. Old Brachiosaurus
3. New Carnotaurus
4. New Diplodocus
5. Old Diplodocus
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Simon

Hmmm... lessee ...

Camarasaurus
Tylosaurus
Woolly Mammoth
Kaprosuchus
Postosuchus
Miragaia
Beipiaosaurus
Brachiosaurus (New version)

EmperorDinobot

I finally saw Carnegies on the wild after an 8 year wild goose chase.

I am absolutely ecstatic. I haven't stopped jumping up and down the hotel bed.

However, I have to say that they are underwhelming. New T.rex, Brachiosaurus and Miragaia.

I still love them but... I feel like they are small and out of scale. This REALLY bothers me. IDGAF about the molds or their biomechanical inconsistencies (yes I know, I am part of the problem blah blah blah), but then again dinosaurs are... aaah who the hell knows. I wanted Miragaia to be the length of T.rex' tail. It's huge and it looks awkward. I would have wanted Brachiosaurus to be bigger.

Still very beautiful molds. Why is the T.rex glossier than the others? I like the sculpt better than the 10th anniv. one. I've hated that one for good reason since it came out.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: