News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich - new for 2016

Started by tyrantqueen, October 10, 2015, 07:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Thanks Halichoeres for the link with the images of the 2016 Schleich toys.  I looked at the images in the link before reading the rest of your post, so when I clicked on the toy listed 14576, I wasn't expecting THAT at all!

As soon as I saw the head on that toy, I though it might be Herrerasaurus, and it felt like everything around me stopped.  Well spotted that it has five toed feet, Halichoeres.  Some aspects of the head, and the very long forelimbs also make me think it might be Herrerasaurus.

I wanted a toy of Herrerasaurus when I was a kid (none existed), and now it's probably what I'd like a good toy of most (I would not have guessed the CollectA one is a Herrerasaurus due to how bad it is).  If Schleich, which has been such an unpleasant company, really has made a Herrerasaurus, nothing could have prepared me for this.  This toy to me seems the best one out of these new prehistoric toys by Schleich.  Look at how different it is compared to the new Schleich Dilophosaurus!  I wonder if they're by the same sculptor?

I've found most of Schleich's prehistoric toys to be simply terrible.  I've never owned any Schleich toys, or wanted any.  The mystery theropod figure might change this.  It's the first time I'm considering buying a Schleich toy!  I'm not interested in any of the others.

Paleona

Thanks for the pics.  Can't say I'm liking any of these, though.  The Saichania actually does look pretty cute to me, but not enough for me to buy it.  I was hoping there was something nicer in the works, like their Kentrosaurus and Pentaceratops!

Shonisaurus

I see that all prehistoric animals World History Schleich large will have articulated jaw, even dunkleosteus.

In any case if the alleged "Herrerasaurus" is actually a deinonychus from my humble point of view it is a figure worse than expected.

The deinonychus should have the claws of hind legs and curved erect like velociraptor.

suspsy

The Dunk is decent.

That is all.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

Before I go through and nitpick each one I must say one thing I can praise Schleich for as a company (possibly the only thing) is staying really close to their pre-production reveal photos, so I'm going to assume all of these are final products.

Dilophosaurus is a not exact copy of the Papo, which is directly a copy of an independent model. This model was also an inspiration for the original Primal Carnage Dilophosaurus, which itself was copied for the JW Junior line. So while not exactly original, aside from the original Primal Carnage Dilophosaurus it is clearly the most original of the various copies of that colour scheme. It's pretty ridiculous looking, but in the end I think that's what I like most about it, I'll have to see it in person (along with the price tag).

Dimetrodon is a copy of the Papo, I don't have an interest in acquiring either this or the Papo version (which if I recall correctly, was copied from an independent model just like the Dilophosaurus).

Dunkleosteus is beautiful. The scutes along the flanks are speculative but aside from that I can't find anything to complain about, and no denying those scutes look bad***. Definitely gonna be grabbing this up.

"Herrerasaurus" is half decent, although since it's a tripod it doesn't need the over-sized feet, but oh well. I might get it, depends how it looks in person.

Therizinosaurus looks a lot better in this new colour scheme, but I'm still not particularly interested in it, the Dimorphodon however is interesting, and I might get this pair even if only to replace the Dimorphodon figure everyone wanted from JW.

Giganotosaurus is hideous as ever, but the Saichania seems half decent. I'd get the Saichania if it was sold individually, but I doubt I'd buy the set.

Mosasaur is interesting, it alone is not worth getting the set for but it's not bad as a monster. The Spinosaurus is ugly and if anything only weighs down the set for me. The miniature Quetzalcoatlus is the only miniature I was willing to buy before, so it would be convenient to get it in the set, I can't judge the colour scheme at that angle. The icthyosaur is the real gem, and it's why I want the set.

I'm not even going to bother going over the raptor or ceratopsian, the fact I' not tells everything you need to know. Kentrosaurus and "Baryonyx" are half decent, but I doubt worth buying the set for.

profnik

No way they NEW  ;D it's make me excited for new dinosaurs, dimetrodon, dunkleostus & mini dinosaurs figures set 2 from schleich.allwell I think dinos & prehistoric mammals for next year

postsaurischian

I also like the Dunkleosteus :D.
The rest is still too schleichish for my tastes, although one has too say they're improving - if only in tiny steps. Last year's Kentrosaurus and this year's Dunkleosteus means one good figure a year. That's a very good average for Schleich!

Credit goes to STS for providing photos :)

Credit obviously goes to modellpferdeversand.de ;).

sauroid

wish the Dunk wasnt grey. looks like The Swimming Dead ancient fish
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SpartanSquat

Well what I can say...
- Dimetrodon: Just a Papo copy...
- Dilophosaurus: I expected a better mold and better painting, probably will look better in person.
- Dunkleosteus: The best of the year like Pentaceratops and Kentrosaurus.
- Staurikosaurus/Herrerasaurus: Looks good, probbaly will buy it.
- Dimorphodon: Looks ok.
- Therizinosaurus and Giganotosaurus: I dont like it.
- Saichania: Looks good, much better than the 2012 version. Why not release a bigger?
- Minis: Looks like in the future we will have itchyosaurus, mosasaurus and baryonyx, but why new repaint of the same mini dinosaurs this year?

Also I found this: http://modellpferdeforum.de/index.php/Thread/26022-Liste-der-Sammlerst%C3%BCcke-2016/?postID=1540545&l=1#post1540545
This are the retiring? I saw they will retire apatosaurus, stegosaurus, spinosaurus and saichania. They will have new remakes? Also I saw the new small dinosaurs retiring...why? They are recently new.

PaleoMatt

Quote from: RolandEden on October 10, 2015, 09:13:12 PM

Also I found this: http://modellpferdeforum.de/index.php/Thread/26022-Liste-der-Sammlerst%C3%BCcke-2016/?postID=1540545&l=1#post1540545
This are the retiring? I saw they will retire apatosaurus, stegosaurus, spinosaurus and saichania. They will have new remakes? Also I saw the new small dinosaurs retiring...why? They are recently new.

Why would they retire those figures??? I only understand the Spino since a new one was released but it's very odd why they're retiring the small dinos

MLMjp

So schleich is the first one we have news of?
Okay :)....
Dilophosaurus looks like they took the JP one, then they removed the frill and hired the sculptor who did the MOJO figures, because it does remind me a LOT of the style of their figures, and the tripod pose makes the worst tripods look like masterpieces
Dimetrodon is screaming: IM NOT A PAPO KNOCK-OFF ::)
Dunkleosteus looks gorgeous, really like the detail, makes him look fierce and creepy... and I like it!! Although it could have been more colorfull.
The unidentified theropod (Herrerasaurus/Staurikosaurus/whatever...)looks interesting.....but I probably pass on it, cause I´m sure that it is not going to be in scale with my other figures.
The minis are as good as the ones from this year, which is not good, not even the new ones (Kentrosaurus, Mosasaurus, Ichthyosaurus, Baryonyx/Suchomimus...) interest me, also I see some jurassic world influence there.....cof*cof*Dimophodon*cof*mosasaurus*cof*cof*
The exception will be the new Saichania which looks waaaayy more accurate than every single Saichania schleich has ever made, please make that in the standard size, please :'(
Overall my main interest is dunkleosteus since I don't have any figure of it, However there also the safari version with has a more appealing color scheme, but this one is more detailed......soo.. not sure.

SpartanSquat

Quote from: TE Matt on October 10, 2015, 09:40:51 PM

Why would they retire those figures??? I only understand the Spino since a new one was released but it's very odd why they're retiring the small dinos
Bad sells? Making new sets? But why retiring if they are new?

ITdactyl

that Saichania....

... is charming.  I want one.  hahaha.  The Dimorphodon is also screaming: "repaint me!"

PaleoMatt

Quote from: RolandEden on October 10, 2015, 09:58:41 PM

Ikr, i'm so confused

Shonisaurus

Quote from: TE Matt on October 10, 2015, 10:07:13 PM

Ikr, i'm so confused

It is strange that they have discontinued small dinos.
Anyway this is very strange company Schleich animals and figures that make descatalogan from year to year. That seems like a big waste of money ... considering the thousands of euros worth plates for the preparation of such products in series.

MLMjp

So basically they will continue the same trend of the past two years, a good and accurate figure (maybe with some minor mistakes) (pentaceratops, kentrosaurus) with this year been the dunkleosteus, some figures that can be OK or not, and a bunch of schleich usual figures.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 10, 2015, 10:18:26 PM
Quote from: TE Matt on October 10, 2015, 10:07:13 PM

Ikr, i'm so confused

It is strange that they have discontinued small dinos.
Anyway this is very strange company Schleich animals and figures that make descatalogan from year to year. That seems like a big waste of money ... considering the thousands of euros worth plates for the preparation of such products in series.

I guess we can spect schleich to do everything, except making all of his dinos accurate.

SBell

Quote from: sauroid on October 10, 2015, 07:37:34 PM
that Ichthyosaur looks vaguely familiar.

It looks like the weird little Chap Mei ichtyosaur.

As for the rest...well, so much for remembering how well Schleich made non-dino reptiles. That Dimetrodon is both a poor cousin of the Papo (one of the few of theirs that I like) and still not up to the Carnegie.

And the Dunkleosteus clearly doesn't measure up to the Safari. Or the Favorite.

sauroid

im still trying to like the Dunkleosteus, but there's something off about it. like someone said before, it looks like the body was inserted to a fossilized head (something like that)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Shonisaurus

Sorry to disappoint forum members, but the mysterious dinosaur according the linkhttp://modellpferdeforum.de/index.php/Thread/26023-Liste-der-Schleich-Neuheiten-2016/?postID=1540554#post1540554

It is neither a Herrerasaurus and obviously not and denonychus.It's a baryonyx! someone explain to me if that's a baryonyx, which are similar to this figure. In fact I predecí in the previous thread that would unknowingly Schleich a figure ... but as I say I do not remember anything like a Baryonyx.

Moreover, the mini dinosaur is a suchomimus, as I imagined these figures were unpredictable guess what kind of dinosaurs were.

Except dunkleosteus (with reservations) this is another lost year for Schleich.

MLMjp

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 10, 2015, 11:46:37 PM
Sorry to disappoint forum members, but the mysterious dinosaur according the linkhttp://modellpferdeforum.de/index.php/Thread/26023-Liste-der-Schleich-Neuheiten-2016/?postID=1540554#post1540554

It is neither a Herrerasaurus and obviously not and denonychus.It's a baryonyx! someone explain to me if that's a baryonyx, which are similar to this figure. In fact I predecí in the previous thread that would unknowingly Schleich a figure ... but as I say I do not remember anything like a Baryonyx.

Moreover, the mini dinosaur is a suchomimus, as I imagined these figures were unpredictable guess what kind of dinosaurs were.

Except dunkleosteus (with reservations) this is another lost year for Schleich.

WHAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT??????? :o :o :o
If this is true....
I didn´t know that they could do things even worse than they already do
I mean, HOW DO YOU CONFUSE THAT WITH A BARYONYX??????!!!!!!
Even the most inaccurate model that they have produce somewhat resembles the real animal

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: