News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Customising Hints, Tips and FAQs

Started by Himmapaan, May 10, 2012, 07:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

QuoteThanks for the tip, I might give pinning another shot, always worried I'm gonna shatter the resin.

You might want to consider a pin vice if you are worried about the resin shattering. It's tedious at times, but you have a lot more control than an electric drill.

triceratops83

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 12, 2014, 05:54:23 PM
QuoteThanks for the tip, I might give pinning another shot, always worried I'm gonna shatter the resin.

You might want to consider a pin vice if you are worried about the resin shattering. It's tedious at times, but you have a lot more control than an electric drill.

Thanks! :)
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Dinosaurana

I'm in need of a little help. I've seen people make their own figures and statues from scratch, and I'd like to try my hand at it. But I have no real idea where to start, and a little guidance would be appreciated.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Dino Master on December 15, 2014, 05:53:00 PM
I'm in need of a little help. I've seen people make their own figures and statues from scratch, and I'd like to try my hand at it. But I have no real idea where to start, and a little guidance would be appreciated.

Most people print out a scaled skeletal of their chosen species for reference, and build their armature around that. The armature is then bulked out with aluminium foil to save clay. Then the clay is laid on top of that. But there are many different ways, some people prefer to do things differently.

Here's some useful links (not specificially about sculpting dinosaurs, but they are useful for general reference)

Armatures: http://www.deviantart.com/art/sculpting-tut-part1-armature-base-300127778

Scales: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Making-dragon-dinosaur-creature-monster-or-420530687

Feathers: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Figurine-WIP-tutorial-part-3-wings-465301808 http://xenite.wordpress.com/modeling-painting-and-hobby-articles/how-to-sculpt-bird-wings/

Here's a good source for skeletals: http://scotthartman.deviantart.com/

And here's a video by one of our forum members, Jason Carriere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUCYwltJqtU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaUHGl8FBn8

Hope this helps.

triceratops83

Just used Green Stuff or Kneadatite for the first time. Surprised at how well it adheres to the surface of the figure, it doesn't lift or peel at all. This was the collecta Tsintaosaurus. I sliced off the sides of the original crest, leaving a narrow base to mold the Kneadatite around. And no, because of that I wasn't left with an interesting little artefact, which I might have been tempted to glue to another figure. ;)
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

tyrantqueen

Kneadatite/Greenstuff actually takes detail really well, I think it's underrated as a sculpting medium. Btw, did you know you can alleviate the stickiness by using skin moisturiser? (I'm serious). It's a lot more effective than plain water. Literally take some and mix it into the putty.

A good tip I picked up from here: http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/how-to-sculpt-3-sculpting-skills.html

triceratops83

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 21, 2014, 10:17:18 AM
Kneadatite/Greenstuff actually takes detail really well, I think it's underrated as a sculpting medium. Btw, did you know you can alleviate the stickiness by using skin moisturiser? (I'm serious). It's a lot more effective than plain water. Literally take some and mix it into the putty.

Because I just absentmindedly started, I didn't even dampen the mix. Was really tough so I will definitely take your advice with Thanks ;D

Megalosaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 17, 2014, 04:06:22 PM
[...]
Here's some useful links (not specificially about sculpting dinosaurs, but they are useful for general reference)
[...]

Thank you tyrantqueen. Those are very useful links.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

triceratops83

Anyone like using just cheap, normal pottery/ceramic clay? I haven't had much luck with it, other than making bases. It cracks and shrinks, but can you get good detailing out of it? Or, can use it for the bulk of the sculpture, the apply Supersculpy for the final layer? I like Super sculpy, but it is expensive, and what I'm attempting might not fit in the oven. I intend to go into town tomorrow and buy some cheap clay, so if it is a bad idea, then someone please post something to stop me...

DinoLord

If you build a 3d armature out of wire you don't actually need much clay.

triceratops83

I'm already on it, wire and Aluminium foil. The tutorials Tyrantqueen posted were very helpful. I've used wire armatures before to build a Cthulhu statue a while back, but it cracked to such an extent I gave up on it.

Justin_

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 27, 2014, 01:59:29 PM
Anyone like using just cheap, normal pottery/ceramic clay?

Basically you don't want to use any modelling material that shrinks if you're working on an armature. Proper clay for ceramics shrinks a lot between it's wet and dry state, as much as 10%. Also it's very brittle if it isn't kiln-fired. Air-drying modelling clay will have had some kind of oil or plastic added to it and should shrink less but still won't be as strong as an epoxy modelling putty or baked polymer clay. I'd just use the cheapest Sculpey for bulking out the model and use Super Sculpey for the outer layer.

triceratops83

Quote from: Justin_ on December 27, 2014, 07:04:32 PM
Basically you don't want to use any modelling material that shrinks if you're working on an armature. Proper clay for ceramics shrinks a lot between it's wet and dry state, as much as 10%. Also it's very brittle if it isn't kiln-fired.
OK Thanks!

Pachyrhinosaurus

I don't think this has been mentioned on this thread before, but does anyone use a clear coat or varnish for their repaints? I was thinking of using one but I'm not sure what I want to prevent a really glossy look.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on January 29, 2015, 10:48:00 PM
I don't think this has been mentioned on this thread before, but does anyone use a clear coat or varnish for their repaints? I was thinking of using one but I'm not sure what I want to prevent a really glossy look.
It has been mentioned before. I like to use varnish because it protects the new paint. You shouldn't have any problems with glossiness if you use a matt varnish.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 29, 2015, 10:53:18 PM
Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on January 29, 2015, 10:48:00 PM
It has been mentioned before. I like to use varnish because it protects the new paint. You shouldn't have any problems with glossiness if you use a matt varnish.

Okay, Thanks. Sorry I did not see it from before.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

SpittersForEver

Hi, I was thinking of getting a model kit to paint or use one of the dinosaurs I have now which are all toys. I have done some Airfix and Tamiya models which were mostly tanks and soldiers. Should I get a kit to paint or repaint one of my current dinosaurs? Thanks  :)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: SpittersForEver on February 21, 2015, 02:20:58 PM
Hi, I was thinking of getting a model kit to paint or use one of the dinosaurs I have now which are all toys. I have done some Airfix and Tamiya models which were mostly tanks and soldiers. Should I get a kit to paint or repaint one of my current dinosaurs? Thanks  :)
If you've built tanks before you probably have the materials needed. You have paint and plastic cement, right? You could get some of the Tamiya/Airfix/Revell/Lindberg plastic kits and see how you like those. Some of them are quite outdated, and to be honest, rather ugly by today's standards, but they are cheap and pretty easy to find. Some of the Tamiyas are quite nice.

On the other hand it might be easier to paint toys because you don't have to build anything. Maybe practise on a chinasaur first.

Dinosaurana

Quick question. If one was to say change a pose by cutting parts off and reattaching them, what would be recommended for the filling of spaces and add ons?

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Dino Master on March 25, 2015, 07:54:53 PM
Quick question. If one was to say change a pose by cutting parts off and reattaching them, what would be recommended for the filling of spaces and add ons?

an epoxy putty works best because it doesn't shrink and you don't need to bake it, it just cures in place from a chemical reaction. I really like magic sculpt which i ordered from Amazon.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: