News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kovu's Collection

Started by Kovu, October 11, 2015, 10:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kovu

So I thought I'd post some pics of my collection. A decent number of them are survivors from my childhood.
My collecting style tends to favor accurate reconstructions, but I also take the art of the figure into account. I'm more willing to be forgiving of accuracy issues if the artistry is on fleek.

So, without further ado...

Ankylosaurs, Sauropelta and Pachycephalosaurs

Papo Ceratopsians

Safari Ceratopsians

Battat MOS Herbivores

Hadrosaurs and Styracosaurus

More Hadrosaurs

Battat MOS Ornithopods and Gallimimus

Stegosaurs

Battat Terra Herbivores

Sauropods

More Sauropods

#queen

Small(ish) Sauropods, Acrocanthosaurus and Leptoceratops

Battat Terra Theropods

Battat MOS Theropods

Feathered Theropods

Large Theropods

Mid-range Theropods and Guanlong

I've also repainted a few of them. Some of them I painted to match the original MOS paintjobs, however, I'm not 100% crazy about how they turned out so I'll probably redo them when I get some free time (so, not for a while). Here's some of the ones I've completed and I'm happy with though. Generally I like to use a combination of extant animals as inspiration, though sometimes I'll use popular culture references as well.

I used a hippopotamus as inspiration for the main body scheme. The frill pattern is inspired by a male sage grouse and his horns/beak are based on cattle horns. It's not a huge departure from his factory paint job, but I wanted to spice him up a little bit.

For her, I used a combination of the striped hyena, the Walking with Dinosaurs Tyrannosaurus and the Dinosaur Revolution one as well. I think I might go back and put a light gray pattern on the underside of her tail, but I'm not 100% sure.

Normally I use a combination of several animals, but for this guy I really liked the coloration of the pheasant bird. And I totally realized that his left nails are not painted as I was posting these pictures btw.

Well, that's it for now. Hope ya'll like them :-)

Rain

Great collection, I'm amazed to see that Battat utahraptor, I haven't seen one of those in a LONG time. Also, your repaints look great, how about a closeup on that Papo spino?

Gwangi

Great collection, I like seeing a lot of ornithopods! The repaints are nice too, particularly the Papo T. rex and Triceratops.

Kovu

Quote from: Rain on October 11, 2015, 10:53:01 PM
Great collection, I'm amazed to see that Battat utahraptor, I haven't seen one of those in a LONG time. Also, your repaints look great, how about a closeup on that Papo spino?

Thanks Rain! It's the mini. I would like to get the standard size one eventually! I'm not quite done with the Spinosaurus, but when I am I'll post pics. After the Ibrahim et al paper came out, I decided to revamp him into a Suchomimus. I've got a few more sculptural modifications to make and I'm thinking of giving him a different color scheme. Right now it's based on the WWD Utahraptor/Battat Utahraptor, but I'm thinking of giving him more heron/egret vibes.

Quote from: Gwangi on October 12, 2015, 12:49:47 AM
Great collection, I like seeing a lot of ornithopods! The repaints are nice too, particularly the Papo T. rex and Triceratops.

Thanks dude! I love ornithopods, they're so elegant. I really wish more companies would make them! A nice-sized Shantungosaurus would be lovely.

Libraraptor

sauroid

cool collection. and your repaints are very nice.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Halichoeres

Dilong looks good in ring-necked pheasant pajamas. Nice collection!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

joossa

Great collection. :)

I didn't know the WS Brachio was so big. ...Another one to add to my want list.

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Kovu

Thanks ya'll! Much appreciated!

Joossa, yeah, it's a pretty decent sized figure. If it helps, I just measured her and she's about 7.5 inches tall at the top of her crest, 4.75 inches at her shoulders and around 13.5 inches from tail tip to nose tip. Sculpture wise, she's absolutely gorgeous. I plan on repainting her again with less Battat Diplodocus colors.

Bucklander

Nice collection. It's cool, the way you've positioned them, taking into account how their respective curves complement each other.

What's the reddish brown Brachio (back, right)?

Gwangi

Quote from: Kovu on October 12, 2015, 03:27:25 AM
Thanks dude! I love ornithopods, they're so elegant. I really wish more companies would make them! A nice-sized Shantungosaurus would be lovely.

I totally agree. I have a few but not nearly as many as I should have. I've been dying for a Shantungosaurus for years!

suspsy

I deeply regret not getting the female Carnegie Oviraptor years ago when I had the chance. Can't find it anywhere now. :(
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Kovu

Quote from: Bucklander on October 13, 2015, 12:44:02 AM
Nice collection. It's cool, the way you've positioned them, taking into account how their respective curves complement each other.

What's the reddish brown Brachio (back, right)?

Thanks! It's the Wild Safari Brachiosaurus, just repainted with the Battat Diplodocus' colors.

Quote from: Gwangi on October 13, 2015, 01:01:51 AM
I totally agree. I have a few but not nearly as many as I should have. I've been dying for a Shantungosaurus for years!

Preach! On the bright side, it seems Papo might be giving us an Iguanodon for next year!

Quote from: suspsy on October 13, 2015, 03:02:41 AM
I deeply regret not getting the female Carnegie Oviraptor years ago when I had the chance. Can't find it anywhere now. :(

It's a great figure. I got her from the local museum as a kid and she would never stand up, so I hot glue gunned her to a rock (one of those smooth, flat ones from the beach about the size of your hand). After a few years, I didn't like how she displayed on the rock so I tore her off of it. Since then, she's stood perfectly by herself - no support needed. Weird, but, I'm not complaining!

Also, for what it's worth, I checked eBay quickly. There's two sellers who've posted a listing for her if you're interested! Just search Carnegie Oviraptor.
Hope that helped! :)

Viking Spawn

Nice collection!  Your customs look great!

Kovu

[Pictures deleted for space]

Roselaar

Excellent collection! Nice comparison shots and sweet customs too.

Kovu

Thanks Roselaar!Glad you like the repaints :-)

Quick question ya'll. Are we allowed to post our non-dinosaur animal collections here? Not as a separate thread obviously, but as part of this one? Personally, I'd kind of like to keep everything in one spot.

Halichoeres

I don't think there's any rule against it. It's your thread! Nobody got mad when I posted books and maps in my collection thread, although I'm sure they didn't interest people as much.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Kovu

[Pictures deleted for space]

Libraraptor

Nice horse collection! You should definitely share it on the Animal Toy Forum! http://animaltoyforum.com/ ThereĀ“ll be probably even more people around appreciating it! But maybe you have done so already?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: