News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Do you like Permanent Bases?

Started by Takama, October 26, 2015, 04:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like Permanent Bases?

Yes
13 (22%)
No
22 (37.3%)
Depends
22 (37.3%)
Indiffrent
2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

QuelQuelQuel

Arbitrary way to differentiate between an ornament and a toy for me. 

stargatedalek

Quote from: Patrx on October 27, 2015, 04:24:45 PM
To those for whom the material of which the model is made plays a role regarding your preference for bases, why is that? I ask not to criticize, of course, only because I'm curious.
Because with a plastic figure part of the appeal is the ability to pick it up and fiddle/play around with it, bases get in the way of that.

suspsy

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 27, 2015, 09:04:07 PM
To those for whom the material of which the model is made plays a role regarding your preference for bases, why is that? I ask not to criticize, of course, only because I'm curious.
Because with a plastic figure part of the appeal is the ability to pick it up and fiddle/play around with it, bases get in the way of that.

I can honestly say that I have never had this gripe. I often fiddle with my FTR while watching TV. Indeed, the base enables Firestreak to stand on the sofa cushion next to me instead of lying down.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

joossa

For me, it depends. If it's a figure, I do not like permanent bases as I like displaying my figures without bases most of the time. If a figure comes with a permanent base, it better be a very nice looking base and/or the figure better be top notch and have a good pose to make having the permanent base pay off. CollectA figures on bases usually turn me off.  I do not mind statues or higher end figures/models on bases. However, I do prefer aquatic and flying animals (don't collect much of those) on bases just because otherwise, their poses and display options don't end up looking as good/dynamic as they might when on a base (simulating the animal in flight or swimming).

The best thing about permanent bases is that, when executed well, can make very awesome, dynamic, and natural poses that cannot be accomplished otherwise:

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Sim

I find that Megalodon's base very distracting.  I think it would have worked better if they had made it resemble water, such as by being clear.  As it is, it looks like the Megalodon is on a rock.

I agree bases can make a flying/swimming animal display better.  I think it could actually work well in playing with the toys too, more with flying animals though, as it would raise them off the ground and make them look like they're flying.  I think bases that would work best for flying and swimming animals would be clear ones similar to those Invicta made for their marine animals, where the figure rests on the base.  E.g.: Ichthyosaurus, plesiosaur, Liopleurodon.  This would allow the figure to be removed from the base easily and no holes need to be made in the figure for it to fit onto the base.

timchadwick12

In my opinion permanent bases are important as they provide the model with permanent and long lasting effect. Some permanent bases enhances the beauty of your model whereas some provide an extra element to it.

docronnie

I'm not for permanent bases too. I like temporary bases wherein I could remove the figure and pose it on its own.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

ChubbyTaco

Hate Permanent bases >:(.But if the figure can't stand without a base I accept. :) 

Patrx

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 27, 2015, 09:04:07 PM

I can see the logic there, I think, certainly in that PVC figures are easier to handle. I do enjoy my resin figures, but there is always a bit of panic involved when it comes time to move them around; even just a bit. I do wish there were "high-end" figures made of something more durable than resin, though, which is part of the reason I like my "toy" figures to be as "statue-like" as possible.

MLMjp

I do like bases but I don't like figures that are permanently attached to a base, the only exception will be a resin statue since those need them to support, but I don't have any statue so I canĀ“t say nothing. The only exceptions in my collection are Hypsilophodon family and Pachycephalosaurus from Collecta, and I probably will get some other figures with a base such as the T.rex baby, but I wish they were not permanently attached, with the exception of Hypsilophodon family because they are tiny, and they are more like a diorama. Like some members I like the removable bases of favorite because they make a nice display of the figure, and you can remove them if you want.

Bokisaurus

For me, it all depends on the species. Some really small ones will need a base, like the CollectA family series.
I also don't play with my figures, so base are not a big deal for me, in fact they help display them better than having a figure fall all over the place. I have a lot of the Favorite figures on base and not once did I take them off the base ;D
Also, those figures with detachable bases, most have the peg attached to the feet, so it can't really stand on it's own anyway ;)

Plasticbeast95

I am not a fan of them, they look odd when placed in a different environment than what is on the stand. E.G. a grassy stand placed on a dirt patch. I prefer a stabilizing stance or large feet.

laticauda

Quote from: Bokisaurus on October 28, 2015, 06:49:47 PM
For me, it all depends on the species. Some really small ones will need a base, like the CollectA family series.
I also don't play with my figures, so base are not a big deal for me, in fact they help display them better than having a figure fall all over the place. I have a lot of the Favorite figures on base and not once did I take them off the base ;D
Also, those figures with detachable bases, most have the peg attached to the feet, so it can't really stand on it's own anyway ;)
Exactly.  But I do like the foot imprints, which eliminates the annoying pegs. 

Halichoeres

Quote from: laticauda on October 29, 2015, 03:10:31 AM
Quote from: Bokisaurus on October 28, 2015, 06:49:47 PM
Exactly.  But I do like the foot imprints, which eliminates the annoying pegs.

Yeah, I like Colorata figures in general, but I don't much care for the fact that the figures themselves bear the pegs. If a figure has a hole in the foot, and the base has a peg, no problem, but the other way around makes it seem kinda pointless that they're separable at all.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

timchadwick12

Quote from: docronnie on October 28, 2015, 11:30:11 AM
I'm not for permanent bases too. I like temporary bases wherein I could remove the figure and pose it on its own.
But permanent bases stabilizes the model. Also, your figure will last for a long time.  :P

Pawnosuchus

Absolutely hate bases.  I've seen plenty of figures with dynamic poses that stand without a base.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 29, 2015, 04:59:08 PM
Yeah, I like Colorata figures in general, but I don't much care for the fact that the figures themselves bear the pegs. If a figure has a hole in the foot, and the base has a peg, no problem, but the other way around makes it seem kinda pointless that they're separable at all.
Perhaps I've just been lucky but I've never experienced this with a Colorata figure. Perhaps because I only have the dromaeosaurs and pterosaurs?

PaleoMatt

Favorite co should teach collecta there ways

Libraraptor

THE iconic figure with a base that fits it very well is Invicta Troodon/Stenonychosaurus.
I also like it when bases enable the figures to take a natural pose.

Halichoeres

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 02, 2015, 03:45:35 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on October 29, 2015, 04:59:08 PM
Perhaps I've just been lucky but I've never experienced this with a Colorata figure. Perhaps because I only have the dromaeosaurs and pterosaurs?

Yup, those guys are just post-mounted. Here's a picture of the Carnotaurus that shows what I mean. It's a really nice figure, one of the few that captures how lanky an animal it was. But impossible to display without a base because of the peg feet.

The base itself, which allows only one orientation. I think the bases are actually pretty nice-looking, but if I wanted to actually play with these guys I would probably find it annoying that I can't stand it on its own.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: