News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Do you like Permanent Bases?

Started by Takama, October 26, 2015, 04:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like Permanent Bases?

Yes
13 (22%)
No
22 (37.3%)
Depends
22 (37.3%)
Indiffrent
2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Takama

DO you like Permanent Bases on your models?

I do because it Guarantees that the model will stay standing No matter the pose or the Proportions.

I understand that im in a minority, as most like to have the option to display a model on its own, while others are picky about it.

I made the Options in this poll

Yes = I Like Permanent Bases

No = I don't like them

Depends = any number of factors, could be the models pose, or the base in particular.

Indifferent = I don't really care if the model is based or not, I like it either way.

What are all your thoughts on this issue?

Kovu

Honestly, I'm not a fan of them. I understand that they help certain figures stand up, but I'd rather have oversized feet. Also not a fan of how bases look when being displayed next to un-based figures.

Viking Spawn

Neither am I.  A figure that comes with a base that is detachable is my top preference. 

tyrantqueen

Permanent, no.

I would prefer a plain base with pegs that could fit into the dinosaur's feet. You could remove the figure from the base if you so desired.

Rain

If its something like a statue or a resin kit, yes. But if it's just an ordinary figure then no

Sim

At the moment the only figures I'm interested in owning are plastic ones.  For those I hate permanent bases.  I've hated them since I was a kid.  Back then I would cut them off a toy and even if the toy couldn't stand up anymore I still preferred and enjoyed it much more without the base.  Now, I just won't buy a figure with a permanent base.  Simple as that.

With an animal figure I want to have just the animal without a base, without food attached, etc.  I want to enjoy the figure without those things getting in the way or limiting the imagination.

Quote from: Takama on October 26, 2015, 04:55:30 AM
I do because it Guarantees that the model will stay standing No matter the pose or the Proportions.

You've said this a number of times.  Have you not seen any of the posts on this forum about CollectA dinosaurs on permanent bases drooping or even tipping over?  There's quite a lot!

suspsy

Depends entirely on the circumstances. If it means the figure will remain standing, then I'm fine with a stand.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

laticauda

It all depends on who you are.  When I was a kid, a base never interfered with how I played.  In fact, due to some of the surfaces I played on, if it couldn't stand, it either didn't get played with, or it died right away.

alexeratops

Actually Takama, a base does not always guarantee balance. I have a CollectA Saurophaganax who won't stand. I tried all of the plastic surgery options, none worked. Now I just have a large dinosaur standing one foot on his base to keep Saurophaganax up.
like a bantha!

SpittersForEver

I find them annoying on less expensive models such as toys by CollectA but if it's a high end piece (REBOR, Sideshow, Repainted by a skilled artist) I don't mind if it has a good, detailed base such as the ones by Martin Garratt. I like the Sega bases where you can detach them and the  piece can still stay up so you have the option of wether to use them or not such as the Sega 2004 T-rex.

Balaur

Permenant bases can be pretty annoying sometimes, but as with what SpittersForEver said, I agree, on high end models it makes sense.

stargatedalek

I can't stand them, and I'm relatively certain it's because when I started collecting I specialized in birds, and it's incredibly difficult to find bird figures without bases.

Patrx

Didn't we have a thread like this not long ago? Hm. I think the poll is novel, however :)

Me, I like bases on anything and everything. Without them, concessions often have to be made regarding accuracy, and that's always disappointing. For my purposes, anything that makes a plastic figure less like a "toy" and more like a display piece is welcome.

Shonisaurus

More like permanent bases, provided the dinosaur will not kink. The positive should not be removing it. The negative take up much space.

ITdactyl

If the figure was sculpted in a very dynamic pose (i.e. running or mid leap etc.) then YES.

If the figure is in a generic/static standing pose, NO base pls.

and then I'll ignore all reason if the base is anything like that of the Sideshow Ceratosaurus. ;D  A thousand times YES

Megalosaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 26, 2015, 06:24:22 AM
Permanent, no.

I would prefer a plain base with pegs that could fit into the dinosaur's feet. You could remove the figure from the base if you so desired.

+1

My only permanent bases are from Collecta, and I hate them. I want to chop it from the pachy feet.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Halichoeres

Plain, removable bases are my favorite for bipeds. I also strongly prefer bases for aquatic animals and pterosaurs in flying poses. Basically, I think Favorite does it exactly right. That said, whether a figure has a base doesn't figure strongly into my decision to buy it--other factors take precedence. It does irritate me when things are unstable, and it irritates me when a figure with a base droops anyway (CollectA Ichthyovenator).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Pachyrhinosaurus

Unless it's a nest or something relevant to the figure, I don't like permanent bases on standard PVC figurines. I appreciate removable bases, however.
As for resin models, I like bases since most of them cannot balance on their own and the bases are sculpted realistically. I prefer to keep my PVC figures as individuals.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

QuelQuelQuel

Depends on the material

Plastic - no
Resin etc - yes.

Patrx

To those for whom the material of which the model is made plays a role regarding your preference for bases, why is that? I ask not to criticize, of course, only because I'm curious.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: