News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo Spinosaurus Legs

Started by Molesaur, October 31, 2015, 04:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molesaur

I got a papo spinosaurus yesterday from hobby lobby and noticed the legs are darker than the rest of the spinosaurus,i think the legs look out of place and don't really blend well into the rest of the spinosaurus and i find it very distracting. they had 3 spinosaurs there and they all looked like this so i just chose the one with the best jaw

i've looked at pictures online of other papo spinosaurs and the colors on some look a lot better than mine and others look just like mine and some only have the dark color on the foot or halfway up the leg.

heres some pictures i found of ones that look better

i understand that not all of them are going to look the same but i'm just wondering what other peoples opinion's on this are.

stargatedalek

That is shameful, if Papo's quality control has really gotten that bad they should give you a replacement.

Rain

Actually, you managed to get the new variant, it's supposed to look like that. The two other pictures you included are from the original. I personally think the one you got looks great

EDIT: Here, check out this thread and scroll all the way to the bottom of the first page. You'll find one nearly identical to the one you purchased. http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3707.0

stargatedalek

This is that Spinosaurus:

Yes the legs are dark, but they aren't darker along the seam lines. I would ask for my money back if it came with its legs looking like that, (unless I was going to repaint it).

KeU

Here's a shot of mine.
The dark colour portion is lower compared to yours.

I quite like it though. It's like Spinosaurus just got out of wading in the water.

stargatedalek

I like the darker colour, but along the seam lines just looks unnatural.

You could try finding a middle tone grey and lightly brushing it along the seams, that should help blend them together.

Rain

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 31, 2015, 04:54:36 PM

Yes the legs are dark, but they aren't darker along the seam lines. I would ask for my money back if it came with its legs looking like that, (unless I was going to repaint it).

Hmm, you're right. After looking at the original picture again it does look odd stopping right at the seam.

Moodyraptor

My papo spino has one good leg and one bad leg.  The dark goes up quite high on both, but on one leg it's well blended and looks natural, but on the other leg it just cuts off at the seam and doesn't look so good.  Luckily the bad leg is on the side turned to the wall.

Generally though I love the new variant - I brought mine quite recently just to complete my big carns collection, thinking it looked quite a dull figure in the stock photos, so I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived.  It has lovely subtle blue tones and I love the rainbow crest.  In general too, I quite like that papos have some paint variations, it gives individual figures some character. 

Plasticbeast95

That is rather odd, almost like they were cast of different plastics. I've seen this kind of thing before, but never with a Paposaur. I'd ask for my money back, Papos are like the Transformers Masterpiece of JP merchandise*, to see one with such blatant errors is quite shocking.

*Being that they both look like they jumped right out of the screen.

Molesaur

Quote from: Rain on October 31, 2015, 04:47:58 PM
Actually, you managed to get the new variant, it's supposed to look like that. The two other pictures you included are from the original. I personally think the one you got looks great
EDIT: Here, check out this thread and scroll all the way to the bottom of the first page. You'll find one nearly identical to the one you purchased.
oh okay, i was thinking maybe it was a variant or something

This is that Spinosaurus
yeah that's what i hate about it is that its right on the seam lines, it makes it look so separate from the rest of the dinosaur.    "You could try finding a middle tone grey and lightly brushing it along the seams, that should help blend them together." What kind of paint and brush would i use for that?

Quote from: KeU on October 31, 2015, 06:37:29 PM
Here's a shot of mine.
The dark colour portion is lower compared to yours.

I quite like it though. It's like Spinosaurus just got out of wading in the water.
yeah yours looks good id be happy with mine if it looked like that

the receipt says the return policy is 90 days so im gonna either order another one online and compare it with the one i have then return the one that i like least or im gonna try painting this one.  Here's a picture of the 3 that were at the store
  i wanted to buy a brown t rex there too but the paint is always messed up and the claws always broken from kids touching them or something

stargatedalek

I use acrylic craft paints, typically any mid to high end paint will do you (except on some softer plastics, but you don't need to worry about that with a Papo). My favorite brands are Americana and craft smart, I buy my paints at Michaels, but I imagine Hobby Lobby would carry similar paint. And if you have issues with the paint rubbing off Americana also makes really nice varnish, matte and gloss.

As for brushes it doesn't normally matter very much, at least not for a DIY project. I choose brushes based on the size I need, I've never found brand to make a huge deal of difference. Keep in mind I've also heard some people who say brand makes all the difference (I imagine it would be more profound with canvas painting), so to each their own.

tyrantqueen

QuoteAs for brushes it doesn't normally matter very much, at least not for a DIY project. I choose brushes based on the size I need, I've never found brand to make a huge deal of difference. Keep in mind I've also heard some people who say brand makes all the difference (I imagine it would be more profound with canvas painting), so to each their own.
It does make a difference if you're attempting to paint tiny details. But for a paint job like this, synthetics are fine. To be safe, I would go with a craft or artist brand (for example Royal Crafter's choice) because the no name Chinese made brands have a tendency to shed bristles, and are horrible quality overall.

This would probably do the job nicely:

kreativtek

Look at the colour of rubber beneath the paint. It's a new material that Papo started using earlier this year. I bought an Allosaurus that was made of that new rubber and I hated it. It looks unnatural and feels softer than the rubber on previous models. I returned the Allosaurus and I advice you to do the same with your Spinosaurus.

Molesaur

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 31, 2015, 09:09:22 PM
I use acrylic craft paints, typically any mid to high end paint will do you (except on some softer plastics, but you don't need to worry about that with a Papo). My favorite brands are Americana and craft smart, I buy my paints at Michaels, but I imagine Hobby Lobby would carry similar paint. And if you have issues with the paint rubbing off Americana also makes really nice varnish, matte and gloss.

As for brushes it doesn't normally matter very much, at least not for a DIY project. I choose brushes based on the size I need, I've never found brand to make a huge deal of difference. Keep in mind I've also heard some people who say brand makes all the difference (I imagine it would be more profound with canvas painting), so to each their own.
okay thanks for the advice.  what papo dinosaurs have you painted?

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 31, 2015, 09:18:19 PM
It does make a difference if you're attempting to paint tiny details. But for a paint job like this, synthetics are fine. To be safe, I would go with a craft or artist brand (for example Royal Crafter's choice) because the no name Chinese made brands have a tendency to shed bristles, and are horrible quality overall.

okay thanks!

Quote from: kreativtek on October 31, 2015, 11:00:30 PM
Look at the colour of rubber beneath the paint. It's a new material that Papo started using earlier this year. I bought an Allosaurus that was made of that new rubber and I hated it. It looks unnatural and feels softer than the rubber on previous models. I returned the Allosaurus and I advice you to do the same with your Spinosaurus.
yeah it does feel a little different. where did you get the Allosaurus?

kreativtek

Quote from: Molesaur on November 01, 2015, 04:38:00 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on October 31, 2015, 09:09:22 PM

okay thanks for the advice.  what papo dinosaurs have you painted?

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 31, 2015, 09:18:19 PM

okay thanks!

Quote from: kreativtek on October 31, 2015, 11:00:30 PM
yeah it does feel a little different. where did you get the Allosaurus?

I bought it at the only online shop in my country that sells Papo dinosaurs. It's ridiculous how hard they are to come by here.

stargatedalek

I've never completely repainted a Papo, but I've touched up a few modern Papo animals (their puffin comes to mind). The puffin is the same material as the Parasaurolophus, but I can't say if it will be the same as your Spinosaurus.

Molesaur

so i ordered another spinosaurus and it looks better and actually stands up without falling over, so im gonna return the first one

new one on the right
it's mouth doesn't completely close but at least the color is better

Dilopho

Haha, that's my photo! Yes, the legs are meant to be dark. It does look wierd though.

pylraster

Well, if it's any consolation, my old green rex has also darker, almost black arms and legs. It's not a big deal for me, because I think it adds more character to my figure. Kind of sets him apart from the more uniformly-green ones of others.

Viking Spawn

That dark arm variant looks pretty cool IMO.  I may have to watch for one of those in the future.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: