News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA New for 2016

Started by Everything_Dinosaur, November 06, 2015, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Sim, I already said that I'm done with you, especially after you tried to paint me as the villain in that response you made to stargate. That was ungenerous. You are free to continue complaining about toys you're not even going to buy to your heart's content.

I am really hoping that the remaining theropod will either be a Supreme Microraptor or a Yi qi. As for the prehistoric mammal, I think Megatherium is likely given that CollectA has never taken a stab at it before.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

I'd rather see something like Argentavis than another mammal personally. CollectA does amazing birds.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on November 22, 2015, 04:47:50 AM

I am really hoping that the remaining theropod will either be a Supreme Microraptor or a Yi qi. As for the prehistoric mammal, I think Megatherium is likely given that CollectA has never taken a stab at it before.

I wouldn't mind either of those as a supreme piece this year.  ^-^

suspsy

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 22, 2015, 05:02:44 AM
I'd rather see something like Argentavis than another mammal personally. CollectA does amazing birds.

Argentavis would be fantastic, yes. Or Pelagornis. Either would give the Kelenken some much needed company.

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on November 22, 2015, 05:23:02 AM

Argentavis would be fantastic, yes. Or Pelagornis. Either would give the Kelenken some much needed company.

Go old-school with Ichthyornis orr Hesperornis! CollectA has lots of marine reptiles--give them a bird to hang out with!

amargasaurus cazaui

Myself and just my own thoughts, but I also prefer figures made with sufficient evidence to support the reconstruction plausibly. I readily agree with the idea that this year's ceratopsian is very speculative,however I have been a voice asking for species like Aquilops to be produced and we have just as little for it as we do the new Collecta piece, so I am as guilty as the next in this regard.
I will however offer that it would be nice, when they do produce a ceratopsian figure , in general, even if speculative, to at least follow what we do have for animals of that type...ie, feet, hands, leg posture, pelvic size and shape, and integument. These are things that would seem givens based on other similar animals that conform to those natural configurations
More simply put....I would purchase this model despite its speculative nature and limited remains, if it were somewhat more anatomically correct.
Flip side, theropods are not my speciality admittedly but I like some of the figures for this year. I will be getting a few of them ...especially the chinese Ornithimimosaur
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Dinoguy2

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 22, 2015, 08:05:32 AM
Myself and just my own thoughts, but I also prefer figures made with sufficient evidence to support the reconstruction plausibly. I readily agree with the idea that this year's ceratopsian is very speculative,however I have been a voice asking for species like Aquilops to be produced and we have just as little for it as we do the new Collecta piece, so I am as guilty as the next in this regard.
I will however offer that it would be nice, when they do produce a ceratopsian figure , in general, even if speculative, to at least follow what we do have for animals of that type...ie, feet, hands, leg posture, pelvic size and shape, and integument. These are things that would seem givens based on other similar animals that conform to those natural configurations
More simply put....I would purchase this model despite its speculative nature and limited remains, if it were somewhat more anatomically correct.
Flip side, theropods are not my speciality admittedly but I like some of the figures for this year. I will be getting a few of them ...especially the chinese Ornithimimosaur

For what it's worth, I also think they should go with complete specimens rather than making stuff up, though I'm kind of torn about it... on the one hand, these made-up species are sure to be wrong in some way, maybe major, maybe minor (see how far inferring based on a "generic" member of the family gets you by looking at Spinosaurus and Deinocheirus, or Elaphrosaurs by way of Limusaurus. I think a lot of people would be shocked by how little we actually know about many popular dinosaurs and this kind of generalizing makes their diversity very underestimated).

On the other hand, I can appreciate the historical value of making a figure based on the current hypothesis. I'd love to have a figure based on say, the Crystal Palace dinosaurs, or Hawkins' Hadrosaurus mount. My 1993 Safari Therizinosaurus is one of my all time favorite figures.

So, I prefer dinosaurs with a little scientific backing behind them, rather than being 95% artistic license. But I guess if you're going to use artistic license, USE it and make something strange and speculative. Go a little All Yesterdays on it. Beishanlong in particular was a good chance for them to get creative and make some kind of half-way point between "standard" ornithomimosaurs and the new Deinocheirus! Instead we get something based on the pre-deinocheird mount which is as out of date now as the Crystal Palace Iguanodon.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Shonisaurus

I agree in terms of prehistoric birds, they could make a 1:20 scale emeus crassus Deluxe Collecta.

A moa would be fabulous.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: SBell on November 22, 2015, 05:37:50 AM
Quote from: suspsy on November 22, 2015, 05:23:02 AM

Go old-school with Ichthyornis orr Hesperornis! CollectA has lots of marine reptiles--give them a bird to hang out with!

Those would be cool, fits well with those huge hungry marine reptiles ^-^

I'm hoping that the mama will be a Unitatherium! :D We desperately need one ;)

suspsy

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on November 22, 2015, 10:50:30 AM
So, I prefer dinosaurs with a little scientific backing behind them, rather than being 95% artistic license. But I guess if you're going to use artistic license, USE it and make something strange and speculative. Go a little All Yesterdays on it. Beishanlong in particular was a good chance for them to get creative and make some kind of half-way point between "standard" ornithomimosaurs and the new Deinocheirus! Instead we get something based on the pre-deinocheird mount which is as out of date now as the Crystal Palace Iguanodon.

I'm guessing CollectA based their Beishanlong on this restoration.

Uintatherium would also be great. It was a favourite of mine growing up.

Even just an updated woolly mammoth would be fine.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on November 22, 2015, 10:48:10 PM

If that is the skeleton displayed in Hong Kong museum os science, they yes, that's where Anthony based the figure from. He mentioned it in the ED blog writeup .
Yeah, I love Unitatherium!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Bokisaurus on November 22, 2015, 11:00:59 PM
Quote from: suspsy on November 22, 2015, 10:48:10 PM

If that is the skeleton displayed in Hong Kong museum os science, they yes, that's where Anthony based the figure from. He mentioned it in the ED blog writeup .
Yeah, I love Unitatherium!

Never so far has done one Uintatherium toy company, it is also one of my favorite prehistoric mammals. I was also interested in a repeat of Paraceratherium.

sauroid

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 23, 2015, 03:09:46 PM
Never so far has done one Uintatherium toy company, it is also one of my favorite prehistoric mammals. I was also interested in a repeat of Paraceratherium.
Ja-Ru made an Uintatherium (which was a copy/remold of an older figure)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Sim

Quote from: suspsy on November 22, 2015, 04:47:50 AM
Sim, I already said that I'm done with you, especially after you tried to paint me as the villain in that response you made to stargate. That was ungenerous. You are free to continue complaining about toys you're not even going to buy to your heart's content.

If you don't want this to continue, please stop putting me in a position where I have to answer or stop replying to me.  I've done my best to clarify and explain what I've meant and yet you seem to have continuously made assumptions from what I've said and misrepresented and exaggerated my words.  Do you really expect me to just leave it and let what I say get misunderstood?

The bolded part refers to this?:
Quote from: Sim on November 20, 2015, 08:54:16 AM
I simply expressed I was surprised that CollectA is still regularly making figures of animals known from very incomplete remains.  There wasn't anything more to this, and I wasn't planning to say anything more about it.  Suspsy's replies to me have seemed to suggest it's somehow wrong I felt surprised, so I've felt a need to explain why I felt that way.  Then it seems some people have misrepresented things I've explained, even though I explained these things because it seemed Suspsy was saying it was wrong I felt the way I did.
That's my experience of this discussion, and I explained this because it seemed at this point, what started the discussion off was being forgotten and I was being misunderstood.  Note that I say what you seem to have been doing, rather than what you ARE doing.  I'm saying what things seem like to me, but I'm not making assumptions about you.  This is in contrast to you saying or implying I have done this or that, e.g.: telling Anthony Beeson he's doing it wrong, thinking I'm right and CollectA is wrong.

I don't think you're a villain.  I feel frustrated and tired of you misrepresenting what I've been saying in this discussion.  You say I've been ungenerous.  Yet, I've spent a lot of time addressing all the points you've made, explaining and clarifying things where necessary while not making assumptions about you.  What you say is me being ungenerous is me being tired of having what I've said misrepresented and having assumptions about me expressed as fact.

"You are free to continue complaining about toys you're not even going to buy to your heart's content."  The part about what I am "free" to do is very condescending and inappropriate.  You've made an assumption again, by the way.  I'm not interested in the Mercuriceratops, but if some of the others aren't permanently attached to their bases I'm not ruling them out.  I'd appreciate it if you stopped expressing your incorrect assumptions about me as facts.

Suspsy, I really appreciate a lot that you have done and said.  I've agreed with you on a number of different things in the past.  I've also disagreed with you on a number of things.  But overall I've been glad you're a member of this forum and I feel you've brought a lot of good to it.  I'm surprised and disappointed by what's happened here.

SBell

Quote from: sauroid on November 23, 2015, 03:15:40 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 23, 2015, 03:09:46 PM
Ja-Ru made an Uintatherium (which was a copy/remold of an older figure)

There's also a Play Visions small and large Eobasileus, a Starlux Uintatherium, and a Jolannda Uintatherium. Plus several other small company ones, like the Predators series.

What we don't have is a widely available, well-made large-ish scale one!

terrorchicken

^and the very ugly Geoworld one.  ;D

how about a procoptodon or diprotodon to go with the thylacine...

as for mammoths, Id love to see any company try a Colombian, its such an impressive beast!

Sim

on the one hand, these made-up species are sure to be wrong in some way, maybe major, maybe minor (see how far inferring based on a "generic" member of the family gets you by looking at Spinosaurus and Deinocheirus, or Elaphrosaurs by way of Limusaurus. I think a lot of people would be shocked by how little we actually know about many popular dinosaurs and this kind of generalizing makes their diversity very underestimated).

Regarding the bolded part, Megaraptor too.  And it might be true for Utahraptor as well...  I completely agree with your other point.  This kind of generalizing makes the diversity of prehistoric animals very underestimated.  I was really surprised when I found out how little Argentinosaurus, Oviraptor and Spinosaurus are known from, as well as others that have gotten quite a bit of attention, like Agustinia and Wuerhosaurus.

Beishanlong in particular was a good chance for them to get creative and make some kind of half-way point between "standard" ornithomimosaurs and the new Deinocheirus! Instead we get something based on the pre-deinocheird mount which is as out of date now as the Crystal Palace Iguanodon.

I thought about this too.  Garudimimus seems to come in between Beishanlong and Deinocheirus though, so the CollectA Beishanlong seemed a reasonable enough guess to me.  What makes it outdated?

suspsy

The Columbian mammoth would be sweet. So would an updated Paraceratherium. Or the possibly-even-larger Paleoloxodon.

Ideally, they'd be at the Deluxe scale to make them even more impressive. Although given that megafauna aren't as popular as dinosaurs, perhaps that's too risky even for CollectA.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: suspsy on November 23, 2015, 08:02:17 PM
The Columbian mammoth would be sweet.
I agree, we really need some figures of mammoths other than M. primigenius.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

stargatedalek

Quote from: terrorchicken on November 23, 2015, 06:14:42 PMhow about a procoptodon or diprotodon to go with the thylacine...
Mustn't forget Meiolania, the Tasmanian emu, or megalania ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: