You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kaijus - post your collection here

Started by sauroid, January 11, 2016, 08:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonRider02

Quote from: Eocarcharia on April 30, 2022, 04:36:47 PM

Nice! I'm still waiting on my pre-order. Do you plan on getting any more?
avatar_Eocarcharia @Eocarcharia  I don't think I am that dedicated Godzilla fan to buy more of such expensive figures. But it all depends on which monsters they will realese next and their pricepoints (I'd probably be really tempted to get SHMA figure of Warbat). I made exception for KOTM Ghidorah becouse he's my favorite movie monster and I really wanted good figure of him. SHMA was just the cheapest (!) and easiest to get option. Also, I miss good dragon figures in general.
I have preordered Singular Point Rodan though.

Anyway, here's photo of Ghidorah I took yesterday in my garden. You can see how the gold paintjob looks in natural daylight.

Fembrogon

It looks gorgeous in natural lighting. One of my annoyances with the film was that we never actually see Ghidorah's natural skin/scale color; he's always enshrouded in shadows and clouds, which is a terrible visual choice for a BRIGHT GOLDEN DRAGON.
Really good Ghidorah figures are hard to come by, it's true; they're often cheap-looking or highly expensive. I guess it's hard to find a middle ground for a character of his size.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: DragonRider02 on May 01, 2022, 12:55:32 PM
Quote from: Eocarcharia on April 30, 2022, 04:36:47 PM

Nice! I'm still waiting on my pre-order. Do you plan on getting any more?
avatar_Eocarcharia @Eocarcharia  I don't think I am that dedicated Godzilla fan to buy more of such expensive figures. But it all depends on which monsters they will realese next and their pricepoints (I'd probably be really tempted to get SHMA figure of Warbat). I made exception for KOTM Ghidorah becouse he's my favorite movie monster and I really wanted good figure of him. SHMA was just the cheapest (!) and easiest to get option. Also, I miss good dragon figures in general.
I have preordered Singular Point Rodan though.

Anyway, here's photo of Ghidorah I took yesterday in my garden. You can see how the gold paintjob looks in natural daylight.

If i owned that Ghidorah i'd be terrified of moving it let alone taking it outside
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Eocarcharia

avatar_DragonRider02 @DragonRider02  Ah ok, understandable. He does look good there, nice photo.

Over9K

Just unboxed the X-Plus 30cm Gamera '99 Ver.2, and it's pretty sweet!

Eocarcharia

Always nice to see some love for Gamera.

Saw this at Target today. Not something I'm interested in getting, but cool to see nonetheless.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on May 04, 2022, 05:18:21 AM

Been seeing this guy popping up recently..must have just released? Looks epic!  I used to have a 95' Banpresto Gamera I sold years ago.  I'm thinking of tracking it down again or maybe holding out for the Omega Beast giant one....

Quote from: Eocarcharia on May 12, 2022, 09:38:36 PM
Always nice to see some love for Gamera.

Saw this at Target today. Not something I'm interested in getting, but cool to see nonetheless.

If only the buildings weren't cardboard..I might have bought it.

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 13, 2022, 05:01:20 AM
Quote from: Over9K on May 04, 2022, 05:18:21 AM

Been seeing this guy popping up recently..must have just released? Looks epic!  I used to have a 95' Banpresto Gamera I sold years ago.  I'm thinking of tracking it down again or maybe holding out for the Omega Beast giant one....

Yeah, it just came out as a ShonenRIC exclusive. X-Plus also has a 30cm '66 Gamera coming at some point, we saw the prototype this past winter.

Fembrogon

These little guys arrived from Target over the weekend: Playmates miniature collectible figures!

Yes, I bought two; I'm keeping one mint in box as a spare.

These are pretty nice for a roughly $10 set. Each figure is about 2in tall exactly.

Eocarcharia

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon Nice pickup! I wish the non-Godzilla and Kong monsters there had more merch.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Picked up a grail in the XPlus line I've been hunting down..Fire Rodan!

AcroSauroTaurus

Finally got a hold of the Playmates Gorosaurus. A friend of mine found it in a store while on a trip and got it for me.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on June 23, 2022, 11:40:49 PMFinally got a hold of the Playmates Gorosaurus. A friend of mine found it in a store while on a trip and got it for me.

Awesome, nice score! I still have never saw one on a shelf..plenty of Jet Jaguar though if your into that. lol

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 24, 2022, 06:02:36 AM
Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on June 23, 2022, 11:40:49 PMFinally got a hold of the Playmates Gorosaurus. A friend of mine found it in a store while on a trip and got it for me.

Awesome, nice score! I still have never saw one on a shelf..plenty of Jet Jaguar though if your into that. lol

I never did either, and I got Jet Jaguar months ago.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Finally found a reasonable 30cm Gorosaurus!

Pic has the 30cm in front and little brother the 25cm in the back.

AcroSauroTaurus

My S.H.MonsterArts Godzilla 2004 arrived last week. Luckily no joints falling apart, just a loose knee.

Also found these two at a local game/toy store, the NECA Pacific Rim Knifehead(battle damaged) and Trespasser. Got them for 70 USD each, which is a lot better than what they go for online...

I am the Dinosaur King!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Fembrogon

Nice pickups, guys. That Godzilla 2004 looks lovely; I still have a soft spot for that suit.
Knifehead and Trespasser look terrific, too. I lament that we have so little merchandise for the Pacific Rim kaiju.

Here's a group shot of my accumulated kaiju from the past six months:

Bandai can still be hit-or-miss with their Movie Monster Series, but lately their hits have been full home runs. The recent Gamera figures have been truly excellent; Iris in particular is a work of art at $30, and makes Bandai's over-expensive Premium lines look like a joke in comparison. Godzilla 1991 is also a welcome, well-overdue update to Bandai's "90s" representation, since the prior 92-suit figure hadn't been updated in literal decades.
The Ultra Monster figures are still fun to collect as well, although I do wish scaling was more consistent, considering how small they are already. This bunch mostly represents monsters who appeared in Last year's Ultraman Trigger; it will be interesting to see what new kaiju and toys are released for Decker.
The Playmates minis are still very likeable, and I hope they sell well enough to prompt more minis in the future. The Funko Kanegon is also surprisingly good, to the point that I'd almost want to see more Funko Ultra kaiju sometime (almost - I don't want to get hooked on Funkos).
The would-be highlights of these acquisitions is the Mezco 5-Point Ultraman set. I'm still waiting for the DAM playsets I ordered to ship, but Ultraman and Red King are promising appetizers. Both figurines are very well-produced, with some nice accessories and solid packaging. I've seen lots of photos for the Godzilla sets already; for their price and detail, I think Mezco could end up as one of the best kaiju toy manufacturers available if they can keep it up.

Fembrogon

...And like that, my Mezco sets arrived! I almost can't believe they're finally here!

I am positively in love with these sets. Sculpting and painting is near-excellent on them all, with a nice heft and sturdiness to each figure. No attention to detail has been skimped on; every scale and fold of skin appears accounted for from head to toe. The paint application varies from figure to figure, but apart from small defects the layers of color and washes bring out great depth of the sculpt and help bring each monster to life. Some of the monsters are so spot-on that they practically look like they walked off the screen; Anguirus and Rodan are probably the best examples of this, and I dare say these two in particular are must-have figures for any America-based collector with special fondness for Godzilla's greatest allies.

Posing with the boxes - also nicely designed and well-packed inside.

The 5-point articulation is about what one would expect; they're about as posable as the average Bandai vinyl, so they're fun to handle but limited in display options. the accessories, however, certainly make up for any display issues. All of the (de)attachable parts can come on and off easily, and stay in place firmly. Some of of the beam effects are surprisingly large, but they insert into the mouthparts and hold their place perfectly so far. Rodan's flight stand is a bit quirky at first, but it's pretty stable and I appreciate its inclusion.

Naturally, Mezco's 5-Point Ultraman figurines appear to be JUST out of scale with the Godzilla figures - or, on second thought, maybe it's just Red King who looks short. Ultraman actually scales up pretty well.
They still display together very nicely.
Spoiler

[close]

Not every figure is perfect; a few monsters are still slightly off in appearance at certain angles, such as Baragon's slightly squashed face or Gorosaurus's broad nose. Gorosaurus and Anguirus both seem much darker in coloration than I'm used to seeing them depicted. Ghidorah's wings are a bit rigid in appearance, and they're made of a more brittle-feeling plastic material, so a little extra care will be best for this figure. There are some minor defects on my copies as well: one of Godzilla's extra arms has traces of scuffing, and Gorosaurus had some little fibers/strands stuck on him which were even trapped in the paint at one spot. Other figures bear some minor faults in paint apps here and there, often around claws, spikes, etc; however these don't distract from the figures and are mostly unnoticeable unless you're deliberately inspecting.

Some individual shots of the monsters:

Spoiler
Godzilla

Anguirus

Mothra larva

Rodan

Baragon

Gorosaurus

Minilla

King Ghidorah

[close]

Fembrogon

I updated the prior post with more details; these Mezco sets are probably some of the best American-produced Godzilla merchandise we've ever had. I hope they continue to sell!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: