News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

"Which one should I get?"

Started by Dilopho, January 14, 2016, 05:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dilopho

That is the question that I have asked a lot. I don't know if there is already a thread like this (there probably is) but I've decided to make this so I can get advised on "which one to get" whenever I ask...or anyone else.
Firstly....when I get some money, I'm thinking of getting a Collecta ceratopsian...but which one? I'd like one that has both quills and an interesting colour scheme. I like their torosaurus but it doesn't have quills, and their triceratops is too big (do they even have a regular-sized one?)

Sim

CollectA has quite a number of Triceratops.  You can see most of them in their 2016 catalogue: http://www.collecta.biz/en/e-catalogue  If you search for "Triceratops", it will bring up a list of the pages in the catalogue with a Triceratops figure so you can see them all.  There's six: the mini, the "Deluxe 1:40" repaint, the 1:15, the dead one, the "standard" one, and the baby.  I believe the only Triceratops that's missing from that catalogue is the "Deluxe 1:40" in its original colour scheme: http://dinotoyblog.com/2010/08/16/triceratops-deluxeprocon-collecta/

Out of all of these, only the mini, the 1:15 and the dead one have the filaments which you referred to as quills.

ceratopsian

I'm fond of my ceratopsians and have acquired quite a few in a short dino-collecting career.  I like all the ones I've bought from the CollectA stable (though I haven't purchased any of their Triceratops versions).  I'm especially fond of their Xenoceratops.  I know you specified interesting colour scheme, but quite what fits that description is of course a matter of personal taste.  The Xenoceratops might sound boring, given that its black, grey and white with a couple of small splashes of red.  However, I love the subtle effect of the gradations of colour over the body and neck.  I especially like the soft stripes on the shield, which blend beautifully one into the other and seem to follow the contours of the shield organically rather than being randomly applied a bit like make-up!  The back quills too have a lovely gradation from black through to slate to pale grey and back again to black.  I can't speak for its perfect anatomical accuracy - provided my beasts look plausible and don't commit some blindingly obvious howler, I'm usually very happy with them.  For me eye appeal is very important. And for me, this has the greatest eye appeal of the bunch.  But you might of course judge very differently!

Brachiosaurus

I recommend xenoceratops or koreaceratops

laticauda

What about the Diabloceratops?  The proportions may be off, but it has a striking head display and a interesting pose.   

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

FlawedCoil82

CollectA is pretty much the only realistic figurine company that I own nothing from. Mainly because I don't like any of their Triceratops (the key dino in any line for me). I don't like the standard size figure because his frill looks too short while the beak looks too big. The 1:15 one looks nice but to me his snout seems too elongated looking (and I have never liked the concept of the quills) and I don't want a dead one. So until they get a better looking Triceratops, I dont really have much desire to invest in the lesser ceratopsians. Although if they ever created a Centrosaurus, I would get that as poor Centro is woefully underrepresented.

Halichoeres

I've given it some grief for being a representation of a fragmentary specimen, but the Xenoceratops really is quite lovely to look at. Likewise with the Medusaceratops.

But dear God, avoid their Styracosaurus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

I personally love the Xeno and nasuto, both great figures. Here are some of CollectA's ceratopsians side-by-side
[
Hope it helped ^-^

joossa

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

terrorchicken

the WS ceras are my faves. Of the Collectas I only have the achelosaurus but would like another one. Which one is the black/grey/tan one with the circles on its frill? I really like the paint on that one.

my favorite ceratopsian is chasmosaurus but I only have the Juraasic Park LW figure of it, the safari toob figure  and a small blue chinsaur. I dont like Collectas at all.

Sim

Quote from: terrorchicken on January 16, 2016, 08:25:22 PM
the WS ceras are my faves. Of the Collectas I only have the achelosaurus but would like another one. Which one is the black/grey/tan one with the circles on its frill? I really like the paint on that one.

It's Nasutoceratops!

Dilopho

Wait, is this the only "Standard" size collecta triceratops?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Dilopho on January 17, 2016, 05:08:00 PM

Yeah, I think it is, although I actually thought it was one of the few they'd discontinued. Evidently not.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

terrorchicken

Quote from: Sim on January 16, 2016, 08:51:40 PM
Quote from: terrorchicken on January 16, 2016, 08:25:22 PM

It's Nasutoceratops!

ah thanks! I forgot I also have the Collecta torosaurus which is missing from boki's pic above.

Dilopho

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 17, 2016, 06:39:11 PM
Quote from: Dilopho on January 17, 2016, 05:08:00 PM

Yeah, I think it is, although I actually thought it was one of the few they'd discontinued. Evidently not.
Man, that kinda sucks...I like their current design but it is too big and expensive. (Does anyone have photos of deluxe triceratops next to deluxe (feathered) t rex or spinosaurus?

Dilopho

Thanks for the advice everyone! I decided to go with Nasutoceratops! Here he is, menacing Safari Steve!

Jetoar

Toghether the Collecta ceratopsian looks really cool  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

JurassicGeek09

The 2012 repaint of the 1:40 Triceratops is really quite gorgeous. I recommend that one. I think it's the best Trike on the market. Here's a picture of it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/5x0k0ylEh4/?taken-by=jurassicgeek09
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: