News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pachycephalosaurus juveniles

Started by DinoLord, February 07, 2016, 02:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

Some new finds shed light on the Dracorex vs. Stygimoloch vs Pachycephalosaurus quandary.

Pachyrhinosaurus

That's interesting. I wonder if the ontogeny of pachycephalosaurus would suggest how (if) they used their head ornamentation.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Halichoeres

Thanks for sharing. I admit I don't completely understand the argument in this particular paper, which I guess means I need to read up on bone histology.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

What I think they're saying is that new Pachycephalosaurus juveniles have been found showing internal similarities to Dracorex further linking them as growth stages. Where I'm confused is that this evidence should(?) also remove Stygimoloch from the growth cycles, but they still mention its inclusion.

John

What the authors of the new study are saying is that new juvenile specimens confirm that the form named Dracorex hogwartsia is a juvenile growth stage of Pachycephalosaurus wyomingensis.They also agree with Horner's assertion that Stygimoloch spinifer is also a growth stage of Pachycephalosaurus.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Halichoeres

Thanks, John. I'm familiar with that general line of argument, so I guess I misspoke before. What I meant was I didn't understand how it followed from the morphology and histology of particular nodes on the specimens' parietals. So I understand the argument, but I'm still stuck on its premises. I just need to go ahead and read the descriptions; so far I've only gone through the abstract and conclusions.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.