You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

All Those New Dinosaurs May Not Be New — Or Dinosaurs

Started by sauroid, March 27, 2016, 06:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

stargatedalek

This is honestly pretty pointless rehashing of data, and it's misleading. The author is twisting these data sets to make it look like paleontologists are making up dinosaurs (which is a dangerous slippery slope). All of this data is completely reasonable if not expected. Of course there's going to be a lot of species that end up being sunk into others, that's simply the nature of the science. Naturally a lot of remains initially attributed to dinosaurs end up being reassigned, they had a lot of very close relatives. It only makes sense that the rate at which new species are named will increase as more areas develop access to mining infrastructure and perhaps more crucially begin to value their natural history. And obviously there are going to be a lot more extinct proposed species invalidated than modern ones, that should go without saying.

I've seen less dumbed-down data on Animal Planet. ::)

Halichoeres

Theropod people: Is the theropod problem cited herein even real? The tally includes a lot of Mesozoic birds, which surely don't represent an oversampling of predators. To the extent that more predators are named, many are meso-predators and so might not represent a problem either if you're ignoring all the non-dinosaur herbivores, for example.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 27, 2016, 08:48:08 PM
Theropod people: Is the theropod problem cited herein even real? The tally includes a lot of Mesozoic birds, which surely don't represent an oversampling of predators. To the extent that more predators are named, many are meso-predators and so might not represent a problem either if you're ignoring all the non-dinosaur herbivores, for example.
Most of these theropods being named are not apex predators, and IIRC about half of them last year are actually birds. A likely explanation for this comes back to what I mentioned earlier about new areas finding fossils, a lot of these areas are providing us with an abundance of smaller more fragile animals, such as birds. So no, the problem isn't real.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.