News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

MEG & Jason Statham

Started by dragon53, April 15, 2016, 05:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon53

MEG---Jason Statham will star in the Warner Bros. movie based on the novel about a deadly 70 foot-long prehistoric Megalodon shark. Statham's role was not disclosed, but speculation is he will play hero Jonas Taylor. Jon Turteltaub (NATIONAL TREASURE) is the director.

CityRaptor

They should just put Meg Ryan into a shark suit. And yes, that was just for the pun.

So a movie about  a Mary Sue shark.  Because that is what the C. megalodon in question is...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

*dies*

I know nothing about the book for all I know it's good but we don't need more giant media frenzy megalodon.

CityRaptor

It starts with a Tyrannosaurus being eaten by a shark twice its size...
Oh no

sauroid

way cool. i hope it wont end up like a Jaws remake.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

dragon53

MEG---photo of Jason Statham and Li Bingbing and the official synopsis were released from the movie based on the novel.

"A deep-sea submersible—part of an international undersea observation program—has been attacked by a massive creature, previously thought to be extinct, and now lies disabled at the bottom of the deepest trench in the Pacific...with its crew trapped inside. With time running out, expert deep sea rescue diver Jonas Taylor (Statham) is recruited by a visionary Chinese oceanographer (Winston Chao), against the wishes of his daughter Suyin (Li Bingbing), to save the crew—and the ocean itself—from this unstoppable threat: a pre-historic 75-foot-long shark known as the Megalodon. What no one could have imagined is that, years before, Taylor had encountered this same terrifying creature. Now, teamed with Suyin, he must confront his fears and risk his own life to save everyone trapped below...bringing him face to face once more with the greatest and largest predator of all time."

Derek.McManus

I saw a sequel novel a while back but didn't buy it as I had not read the first one! It appears to have potential as a story but as we all know any shark movie faces the comparison with Jaws and the chance that it may appear derivative. Still should be worth a look along with the other forthcoming monster movies like Skull Island, Jurassic World 2 etc...

stargatedalek

So I toke a quick peek through the book and, well I'm not impressed. A lack of not only knowledge of megalodon itself but of marine life in general and even the physics of how water works are a few of the better things to expect...

Blade-of-the-Moon

it also has pliosaurs in it...

stargatedalek

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 14, 2016, 06:14:53 PM
it also has pliosaurs in it...
I was so close to stopping reading when the one megalodon killed another megalodon and "used its warm blood as a shield to escape the abyss into shallow water".

CityRaptor

It should be noted that those Pliosaurs in the novels have gills...

Honestly speaking, they should have Statham not have fight the species C. megalodon, but the genus Megalodon. A primeval struggle between man and bivalve!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalodon_(bivalve)
Oh no

dragon53

Small update.

Jason Statham said about MEG, "It's a cross between...JAWS and JURASSIC PARK. It turned out really good." Li Bingbing (TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION), Cliff Curtis (FEAR THE WALKING DEAD) and Rainn Wilson (THE OFFICE) also star. Jon Turteltaub (NATIONAL TREASURE) is the director.

CityRaptor

What a generic statement.  "Cross between X and Jurassic Park" is pretty much the standard claim when prehistoric animals are involved and "Jaws" is the same for when sharks are involved. So it is super generic.
Oh no

BlueKrono

Quote from: CityRaptor on April 07, 2017, 08:11:53 PM
What a generic statement.  "Cross between X and Jurassic Park" is pretty much the standard claim when prehistoric animals are involved and "Jaws" is the same for when sharks are involved. So it is super generic.

Exactly this.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Gwangi

A cross between "Jaws" and "Jurassic Park"...but not a quarter as good as either.

suspsy

I have zero faith in this film.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CityRaptor

You are gonna need a better movie!
Oh no

HD-man

Quote from: CityRaptor on April 07, 2017, 08:11:53 PM"Cross between X and Jurassic Park" is pretty much the standard claim when prehistoric animals are involved and "Jaws" is the same for when sharks are involved.

& not just shark movies, but scary movies in general (See 11:35): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgX1KOkQUW4
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Silvanusaurus

This sounds like a straight to DVD B-movie, surely not a legit cinema release?

stargatedalek

Forget the movie, they surely needed a better book to base it on in the first place.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: