News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

MEG & Jason Statham

Started by dragon53, April 15, 2016, 05:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

I doubt this movie will make anything. I liked the Book, but thats because it works as a book. I do not see this as Blockbuster material.      Im sure it will bomb.

PumperKrickel

deleted

ZoPteryx

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on April 09, 2017, 01:03:21 PM
I can´t imagine a Jason Statham movie without a fight scene, so I expect he beats the shark in hand-to-fin combat?

I'll be disappointed if he doesn't!  :))

dragon53

Warner Bros. released the synopsis for the Jason Statham THE MEG movie based on the novel MEG:

"A deep-sea submersible – part of an international undersea observation program – has been attacked by a massive creature, previously thought to be extinct, and now lies disabled at the bottom of the deepest trench in the Pacific... with its crew trapped inside.  With time running out, expert deep sea rescue diver Jonas Taylor (Statham) is recruited by a visionary Chinese oceanographer (Winston Chao), against the wishes of his daughter Suyin (Li Bingbing), to save the crew – and the ocean itself – from this unstoppable threat: a pre-historic 75-foot-long shark known as the Megalodon.  What no one could have imagined is that, years before, Taylor had encountered this same terrifying creature.  Now, teamed with Suyin, he must confront his fears and risk his own life to save everyone trapped below... bringing him face to face once more with the greatest and largest predator of all time."

CityRaptor

Looking up some of those names, I think it's funny that Chao is only 13 years older than his movie daughter. Of course the movie Alexander had a more extreme example.

Story still dounds like a generic shark movie. That picture with Statham and the bad CGI shark also looks familiar:

On a side note, Google seems to thing that Owen Grady and Nick van Owen are the same character...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

John

There needs to be at least two megalodon sharks to make this fight against Jason Statham even remotely fair! :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

dragon53

THE MEG---first photo released shows the giant prehistoric Megalodon shark attacking Jason Statham in a deep sea research station in the movie based on the novel MEG.
Statham said, "I play a former navy captain and diver and I get hired to rescue a team of scientists who are trapped at the bottom of the sea in their research station by a giant shark. Then all hell breaks loose...Who doesn't want to watch a film about the biggest shark that's ever existed?"

Blade-of-the-Moon

Doesnt sound close to the book..granted i read it years ago..

CityRaptor

Quote from: dragon53 on December 22, 2017, 04:23:19 PM
"Who doesn't want to watch a film about the biggest shark that's ever existed?"

ME! ME! ME!

C. megalodon must be the least interesting non-mammlian prehistoric animal ever.
Oh no

Ravonium

Who doesn't want to watch a film about the biggest shark that's ever existed?"

I could list at least 100 awful movie ideas that I'd rather watch than anything related to Megalodon.

Also, it appears that even Jason Statham looks a bit shocked at what he agreed to do (at least in that most recent promo image).

dragon53

First photo released of Meg.

CityRaptor

Oh no

ITdactyl

soooooo 2018... no one is bothered by the 6foot tall fin slicing through the crowd.

(heh, just making fun of the image... some of the people seem to be fleeing)

Doug Watson

Quote from: dragon53 on April 07, 2018, 06:52:53 AM

There's a shark in my Froot Loops!

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 22, 2017, 05:55:53 PM
C. megalodon must be the least interesting non-mammlian prehistoric animal ever.

I dunno about that. I mean, to each his own, but we are talking about a predatory shark as large as a school bus. I can think of tons of less interesting non-mammalian prehistoric critters than that.
-----
I have read the first 5 books of the MEG series by Steve Alten. They do get worse over time, each story's plotline getting a little crazier than the last. As long as you accept them for what they are (fiction), the first couple are not bad.

I for one look forward to the movie, as my wife and I are fans of Jason Statham films & I have personally been wanting to see a film adaptation from the book for a while. I can understand some reservations by others, as there are not too many ways to do a shark movie, unless you start getting off-the-wall crazy (EX: Sharknado, and other Sy-Fy fodder). I mean, at their core, any general plot is: shark terrorizes people, people find way to kill shark. I don't expect a lot of scientific accuracy in the film (as there is little in the books), nor do I expect a 100% direct adaptation from the books (just as the original Jurassic Park & The Lost World films were not 100% true to the source material). Regardless, I hope I am entertained and worst case scenario, I can mock all the goofs.

suspsy

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 22, 2017, 05:55:53 PM
"Who doesn't want to watch a film about the biggest shark that's ever existed?"

ME! ME! ME!

While I certainly agree that the hype and pseudoscience around C. megalodon is annoying, I think the actual animal itself is pretty darned compelling. It's a shame that we only have teeth to go on, because I bet it looked significantly different from simply an oversized great white shark.

Oh, and the trailer is out now. Looks like this movie has more cheese than Pizza Hut and Domino's combined. Or another way to put it: prime MST3K material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBscAD6RjVk

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Been a long time since i read the book but it had a sort of Jurassic Park novel feel.  The trailer has a Jurassic World 2 vibe mixed with JAWS/ Deep Blue Sea.  Sadly i didn't see one pliosaur but maybe in the film.

Shadowknight1

Three quotes rushed through my mind as I watched this trailer.

Upon seeing the shark: "Shark still looks fake."

Upon the declaration that they have to kill said shark: "The animal exists on the planet for the first time in tens of millions of years and the only way you can express yourself is to kill it."

Upon finishing the trailer: "Shut up, Meg."

Still.  The choice of "Beyond the Sea" for the trailer song shows that they're not taking it seriously.  Though, obviously still more seriously than Sharknado...

And one more thing.  Harcourt!  Harcourt Fenton Mudd, what are you doing in a shark movie?!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Archosauria

Seems...interesting. In a campy B-movie sort of way. Looks like something Asylum would have made.
I've never read the novel, but I know that the animals in the book were, uh, less than accurate.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

tyrantqueen

QuoteAnd one more thing.  Harcourt!  Harcourt Fenton Mudd, what are you doing in a shark movie?!

Roger C. Carmel died a long time ago...RIP.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: