News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Requests for Papo 2013: Step 3 (DIABLOCERATOPS)

Started by anchry6, May 25, 2012, 03:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

Any news on whether Papo is making this next year too?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

SBell

Quote from: Yutyrannus on December 21, 2012, 11:53:24 PM
Any news on whether Papo is making this next year too?

I wouldn't think so--they were already forthcoming with 3 releases so far, so I doubt they would have stayed quiet about it.

Besides, there are TWO other ones coming out this year--I can't see any company wading into that at the same time. Even if they had one waiting, I would guess they'd give it a year and see what happens.

ChrisLikesDinos

It would be awesome if this ends up coming our way also, but yeah, I imagine they would have shown it off with the other two already. Maybe just maybe it will come in time.

John

Papo decided on Carnotaurus,because it was recognizable as the main villain in Disney's "Dinosaur",not to mention in response to the Carnegie Museum 2011 version of that species being such a good seller. Coelodonta and Dimetrodon are both iconic prehistoric animals,so it's no surprise Papo chose them as well. :)

Unfortunately,Diabloceratops has not appeared in any movies or documentaries and no one outside of dinosaur buffs will even know what it is... But if the Wild Safari Diabloceratops is a good seller next year,then maybe you'll see Papo take a chance on that one too. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

SBell

Quote from: John on December 23, 2012, 03:55:38 AM
Unfortunately,Diabloceratops has not appeared in any movies or documentaries and no one outside of dinosaur buffs will even know what it is... But if the Wild Safari Diabloceratops is a good seller next year,then maybe you'll see Papo take a chance on that one too. ;D

Or the CollectA one...

ChrisLikesDinos

Papo decided on Carnotaurus,because it was recognizable as the main villain in Disney's "Dinosaur",not to mention in response to the Carnegie Museum 2011 version of that species being such a good seller. Coelodonta and Dimetrodon are both iconic prehistoric animals,so it's no surprise Papo chose them as well. :)

To be fair, Disneys Dinosaur has like zero relevance now, I can't imagine too many people know the Carnotaurus strictly from that movie. But yeah, its a solid dinosaur and its a sure seller as its an awkward yet menacing creature.

I would still say the Diabloceratops has a decent chance.. we got both a Pachyrhinosaurus and a Styracosaurus, and neither one of those are extremely well known. With a nice sculpt and good paint job I am sure it would grab attention and sell well.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Maybe show them how easily a Diabloceratops can be converted from an existing Styrac or Pachyrhino...mihgt convince them to do that. ;)

tyrantqueen

Honestly, Diabloceratops seems a bit of a....random choice. I can't help but wonder if Papo would actually want to take a gamble on a dinosaur that is pretty much unknown among the general public. It seems as though they prefer to play it safe, and stick with dinosaurs they know will be popular.
Chasmosaurus or even Protoceratops seem like a more obvious ceratopsian to pick.

anchry6

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 23, 2012, 06:56:30 AM
Maybe show them how easily a Diabloceratops can be converted from an existing Styrac or Pachyrhino...mihgt convince them to do that. ;)

This is exactly what I tried to tell Papo.  ;)

:D

John

Quote from: demoncarnotaur on December 23, 2012, 05:23:44 AM

To be fair, Disneys Dinosaur has like zero relevance now, I can't imagine too many people know the Carnotaurus strictly from that movie. But yeah, its a solid dinosaur and its a sure seller as its an awkward yet menacing creature.

I would still say the Diabloceratops has a decent chance.. we got both a Pachyrhinosaurus and a Styracosaurus, and neither one of those are extremely well known. With a nice sculpt and good paint job I am sure it would grab attention and sell well.
Styracosaurus is actually the classic "other horned dinosaur" next to Triceratops,much like Allosaurus is the "other big meat eater" next to T. rex so it is not that obscure.
Also,whether Disney's Dinosaur has relavence now or not,it still plays a major factor in what Papo comes out with (as do the Jurassic Park movies).It is certainly not a coincidence that Pachyrhinosaurus and Styracosaurus also happened to be the two big ceratopsians that appeared in Disney's Dinosaur. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

suspsy

I'd be totally happy with a Papo Iguanodon for 2014.

I'd love to see a decent Pliosaurus from them as well.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Jetoar

Quote from: suspsy on December 23, 2012, 05:02:08 PM

I think the same friend  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Blade-of-the-Moon

Honestly at this point are we going ot be disappointed with anything they put out ? Assuming it's a prehistoric creature of some sort . ;D

ajax

Me too but after they make a giant Giga to rival their Spino and Rex, what I don't want yet is another Diablo, we are getting 2 next year so do we really need another so soon. I love Papo's other ceratopsians but would prefer a Chasmo to a 3rd Diablo.

John

Quote from: ajax on December 23, 2012, 10:59:47 PM

Me too but after they make a giant Giga to rival their Spino and Rex, what I don't want yet is another Diablo, we are getting 2 next year so do we really need another so soon. I love Papo's other ceratopsians but would prefer a Chasmo to a 3rd Diablo.
What if they come out with a second Triceratops sculpt,like they did with T. rex? :)

Takama

Hounestly, If they make another ceratopsian, i hope its a Completely new sculpt instead of a lazy rehash of another model,   thats one of the things i hated about the Styrachosaurus. and i would be majourly disapointed if they repeat that process.

an iguanadon would be fine by me, I just like it to be a qudroped, in contrast to there Para, and personally, I wish they would start ripping off WWD, at least thats popular with the puplic, and can give us new cretures.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on December 24, 2012, 01:22:13 AM
Hounestly, If they make another ceratopsian, i hope its a Completely new sculpt instead of a lazy rehash of another model,   thats one of the things i hated about the Styrachosaurus. and i would be majourly disapointed if they repeat that process.

an iguanadon would be fine by me, I just like it to be a qudroped, in contrast to there Para, and personally, I wish they would start ripping off WWD, at least thats popular with the puplic, and can give us new cretures.

If the animals are so close to each other I don't see an issue re-using the same body. They were painted differently and did both match up detail wise.

They really don't need to take inspiration from WWD. The show was ground breaking for it's time but it has a lot of errors now.  I would rather see them copy some of the creatures from Dinosaur Revolution. 

ajax

Quote from: John on December 24, 2012, 12:46:26 AM
Quote from: ajax on December 23, 2012, 10:59:47 PM

What if they come out with a second Triceratops sculpt,like they did with T. rex? :)

I mentioned that the oter day, I think both the Trike and Stego need new sculpts (a bit more accurate) espically the Stego.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 24, 2012, 01:39:24 AM
Quote from: Takama on December 24, 2012, 01:22:13 AM

If the animals are so close to each other I don't see an issue re-using the same body. They were painted differently and did both match up detail wise.

They really don't need to take inspiration from WWD. The show was ground breaking for it's time but it has a lot of errors now. I would rather see them copy some of the creatures from Dinosaur Revolution.
True, IMO Dinosaur Revolution has the most epic colour schemes and designs I've ever seen. It's a shame that DR was not as successful as WWD was, it would have been cool to have some official figures from DR like WWD did. But then again, David Krentz's sculpts (particularly his tyrannosaurus rex) are near perfect matches to the dinos in DR.

I wouldn't mind another Triceratops figure either. Maybe it could be in a more active pose? (like squaring off against a Rex) :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: