News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Requests for Papo 2013: Step 3 (DIABLOCERATOPS)

Started by anchry6, May 25, 2012, 03:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anchry6

We are now arrived at the final stages.
In this topic you can write as you would like to be done the Papo DIABLOCERATOPS.
You can use: scientific descriptions, drawings, sculptures, pictures taken on the internet (legal please) and so on. You can criticize and improve a choice with an other ... If Papo listen to our proposal.
However, the company will decide how to use this material that we will provide.
I'm also looking for a paleontologist (possibly) or more paleontologists than write two or three pages maximum (with pictures) to give some advice on how to make a precise DIABLOCERATOPS and on mistakes to avoid.
Maybe then you will be hired to work for Papo  ;D
Thank you all for your interest in this project ...
I hope it is successful!
GOOD DISCUSSION.

:D

ZoPteryx

I would use the same basic body plan as the Pachyrhinosaurus & Styracosaurus, meaning the same type of feet, legs, and body.  The changes I would make would be A) lengthen the tail slightly, B) add belly scutes like those of a crocodile to the underside of the animal, C) add small, scattered scutes on the upper surface of the animal, & D) add a set of short spines over the hips that decrease in length as they descend the tail.

As for the head, here's a good illustration of the skull:

There was probably a bony ridge over the nasal arch.  It should be the same size compared to the body as in the previous ceratopsians.

I think a running pose or rearing pose would be very nice for this figure.

And finally color.  I would make the animal brown or gray with darker blotches on the back and lighter color on the stomach.  The frill and face should have a bright (or at least bold) pattern, perhaps using blues, yellows, and blacks.

Takama

Quote from: Zopteryx on May 25, 2012, 09:51:35 PM
I would use the same basic body plan as the Pachyrhinosaurus & Styracosaurus, meaning the same type of feet, legs, and body.  The changes I would make would be A) lengthen the tail slightly, B) add belly scutes like those of a crocodile to the underside of the animal, C) add small, scattered scutes on the upper surface of the animal, & D) add a set of short spines over the hips that decrease in length as they descend the tail.

There was probably a bony ridge over the nasal arch.  It should be the same size compared to the body as in the previous ceratopsians.

And finally color.  I would make the animal brown or gray with darker blotches on the back and lighter color on the stomach.  The frill and face should have a bright (or at least bold) pattern, perhaps using blues, yellows, and blacks.

Why are we encouraging lazynes on Papos part.

I say it should be a new sculpt. with its head held down as if its Charging at something. and with a hint of movement to the legs.

ZoPteryx

I'm not trying to encourage laziness, it's just that all centrosaurine ceratopsians had basically the same body plan! ^-^

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Takama on May 25, 2012, 11:01:17 PM
Quote from: Zopteryx on May 25, 2012, 09:51:35 PM

Why are we encouraging lazynes on Papos part.

I say it should be a new sculpt. with its head held down as if its Charging at something. and with a
hint of movement to the legs.
I think it should be a combination of both. The same body as the stracosaurus and pachyrhinosaurus with it's head down as if it's about to charge at another diabloceratops.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

anchry6

In my opinion we should not talk too much about the position for him to take or too many requests  on the colors but we try to rely entirely on scientific accuracy.
I'm sure for the position him to take on the position or color of the Papo will surprise us as usual.

Metallisuchus

Quote from: anchry6 on May 26, 2012, 09:59:38 AM
In my opinion we should not talk too much about the position for him to take or too many requests  on the colors but we try to rely entirely on scientific accuracy.
I'm sure for the position him to take on the position or color of the Papo will surprise us as usual.

Then maybe we can collectively decide on a design to present

anchry6

I think it would be difficult ... The confrontation of ideas via the internet is fine ... But take decisions together using ONLY internet does not convince me.

tyrantqueen

Erm.....don't wanna sound rude here but Papo don't do scientific accuracy. If you're looking for that then you should be emailing Carnegie with requests.

anchry6

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 26, 2012, 09:10:54 PM
Erm.....don't wanna sound rude here but Papo don't do scientific accuracy. If you're looking for that then you should be emailing Carnegie with requests.

Papo does models very precise and detailed. When they are also accurate from a point of view scentifico these are the best models on the market. I want to do is just inform Papo on what should be done to make them like that and then I'm up to Papo to listen us or not (if he does gain a market share in over).
However, what I have written are just suggestions ... you can write what you want ... but then I'm afraid that if we ask too much then do not listen to us Papo.
So I ADVISE to focus the scientific appearance. But you do what you deem appropriate.

tanystropheus

I'm sure that they would consider it (e.g. scientific accuracy) if it was brought to their attention.  It's not like Papo would really need to invest any additional resources to get the models accurate. Contrary to popular opinion, aside from one or two egregious oversights per model (JP models excluded), Papo figures are more or less on their way...

DinoFan45

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 26, 2012, 10:06:41 PM

I'm sure that they would consider it (e.g. scientific accuracy) if it was brought to their attention.  It's not like Papo would really need to invest any additional resources to get the models accurate. Contrary to popular opinion, aside from one or two egregious oversights per model (JP models excluded), Papo figures are more or less on their way...

They kinda would have too. There isn't really any pop culture reference for it.  ;D
"Life will find a way."

Metallisuchus

Quote from: DinoFan45 on May 27, 2012, 12:36:07 AM

They kinda would have too. There isn't really any pop culture reference for it.  ;D

True, but look at the Allosaurus - he looks like Godzilla '99 (body). They could always look at something else for a reference, is my point.

DinoFan45

Quote from: Metallisuchus on May 27, 2012, 12:54:10 AM
Quote from: DinoFan45 on May 27, 2012, 12:36:07 AM

True, but look at the Allosaurus - he looks like Godzilla '99 (body). They could always look at something else for a reference, is my point.

Acutally, the allosaurus was based off of an illustartaion by a Paleo-artist. And when I need his name, if leaves me. His blog is Carnosauria though.
"Life will find a way."

anchry6

C:-) Before we wander too ... back to talk about how we would like the diabloceratops. C:-)
Here is a beautiful picture.

[attachment msg=10314][/attachment]

Metallisuchus

Quote from: anchry6 on May 27, 2012, 01:12:26 AM
C:-) Before we wander too ... back to talk about how we would like the diabloceratops. C:-)
Here is a beautiful picture.

Majestic-looking. I only wish the white color pattern on the head continued throughout the body.

tyrantqueen

QuoteAcutally, the allosaurus was based off of an illustartaion by a Paleo-artist. And when I need his name, if leaves me. His blog is Carnosauria though.
Brett Booth.

sauroid

that is indeed a beautiful rendition of a Diabloceratops by Andrey Atuchin

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Pachyrhinosaurus

There aren't many good reconstructions of diabloceratops to choose from.

(I am not liking those hands)
I really like the next picture:
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

anchry6

I think the Diabloceratop was so popular in the forum not only for the undeniable beauty of the animal but because Papo was always very careful when it came to Ceratopsidae. They thus have creating, in my opinion, the best (or at least among the best) Ceratopsidae dinosaur on the market.
So the improvements to make, compared to previous Ceratopsidae are not many.
I take as a reference the Papo Styracosaurus.
The dimensions between the two dinosaurs are the same and the family of Ceratopsidae bodies had very similar to each other. So, if using the same proportions of the Styracosaurus to rebuild the body, the tail and the feet of Diabloceratops not wrong. However:
1. One should stretch, albeit slightly, the tail being. Because is very too short.
2. Also I should mention that the two fingers of the front legs that are smaller and separated from the other three did NOT nail (as in Papo Triceratops).
So the only real difference whit the Styracosaurus is the skull but you can easily understand how it was using the pictures below.

One aspect not to be underestimated is that the gala (the collar around the neck) should have painted with bright colors because most likely they used to intimidate rivals or carnivores and / or to attract the opposite sex.
I am sure that the beauty of this dinosaur and its very marketable name (DIABLOceratops) would result in many sales of this toy. Here are some other images:

[attachment msg=10923][/attachment]

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: