News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

General discussion - public

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 11:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

The odd thing is I can still tell what it is..or supposed to be. lol

ZoPteryx

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Zopteryx on December 27, 2013, 03:31:08 AM
Lol!  Talk about horned frog! :))

I think a few extant amphibians would take offense to that.. lol  :))

tyrantqueen

Even though we're all in different time zones, happy new year from the UK guys :) I hope 2014 will be a good one.

Concavenator

From Spain,I wish y'all an awesome 2014 year!  :D

DinoToyForum

This weekend I've been casting dinosaur fossils in preparation for an activity I'm running at my work later this month  :D

Pachyrhinosaurus

I want to wish everyone a happy (belated) Darwin Day! I was meaning to post this yesterday, but got caught up in other things.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on February 13, 2014, 04:37:00 PM
I want to wish everyone a happy (belated) Darwin Day! I was meaning to post this yesterday, but got caught up in other things.

:))

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Ridureyu

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 27, 2013, 01:21:15 AM
I think I have found the most hilariously bad illustration of a Triceratops, ever. Brace yourselves for the ugly...

It looks like a frog.

Wow!  That's worse than this:

tyrantqueen

I've been doing some reading on online (particularly on reddit) and I've heard that it's a bad idea to label fragile packages as "fragile".

Apparently, doing so will bring out the courier's mean streak, and they'll deliberately damage the package even more than one that was unmarked. Here's the proof of packages that were supposedly shipped simultaneously

I'm not sure what to think about this. Would anyone care to share their experiences? I'm thinking that it probably doesn't make any difference one way or the other.

Here's the thread, if you're interested: http://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/comments/1i1ypf/ *warning for language*

postsaurischian

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 24, 2014, 08:54:42 AM
I've been doing some reading on online (particularly on reddit) and I've heard that it's a bad idea to label fragile packages as "fragile".
I'm not sure what to think about this. Would anyone care to share their experiences? I'm thinking that it probably doesn't make any difference one way or the other.

I also think it doesn't make a difference in general.
All I can say about this is based on feelings and experiences. There might be some truth behind your "black sheep postmen letting off steam by damaging delicate packages" theory.
My more than 30 years of international collecting experience says: In some countries they seem to take more care than in others. I've made the worst experiences with U.S. postal services, also in Germany there are some horrible conditions. In Japan on the other side it's nearly impossible something happens to your parcel - utmost discipline! Also the British seem to be very responsible-minded.
Anyway - the most important thing still is to pack your items well (which a lot of sellers don't >:(). That's the main source of trouble!
Marilyn (Martin Garratt's partner) for example is the perfect model packer. She's awesome! The postmen could have played football with my Diplodocus-package during their lunch break, it would probably still have arrived in unbroken condition :).

SBell

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 24, 2014, 09:26:14 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 24, 2014, 08:54:42 AM

I also think it doesn't make a difference in general.
All I can say about this is based on feelings and experiences. There might be some truth behind your "black sheep postmen letting off steam by damaging delicate packages" theory.
My more than 30 years of international collecting experience says: In some countries they seem to take more care than in others. I've made the worst experiences with U.S. postal services, also in Germany there are some horrible conditions. In Japan on the other side it's nearly impossible something happens to your parcel - utmost discipline! Also the British seem to be very responsible-minded.
Anyway - the most important thing still is to pack your items well (which a lot of sellers don't >:(). That's the main source of trouble!
Marilyn (Martin Garratt's partner) for example is the perfect model packer. She's awesome! The postmen could have played football with my Diplodocus-package during their lunch break, it would probably still have arrived in unbroken condition :).

I've heard this before--apparently the issue to many postal workers is that 'all parcels are fragile' as far as senders are concerned, so they don't care.

However, if you want a parcel to be treated a little better, apparently making it look like something a child prepared for their grandparent is a good trick--they are less likely to risk damaging something personal from a child (so, crayon labeling, maybe a drawing). Obviously this can't be used a lot or it will start to be ignored as well.

And yeah, the packaging inside is usually the bigger issue; allowing for crush corners is apparently also necessary.

amargasaurus cazaui

If I send anything fragile or valuable I generally spend a dollar or two and get the lowest increment insurance offered. Generally for about a dollar you get a few hundred dollars insurance, just enough that the package is kept locked and handled seperately from the other freight, and a log is kept of its movements. Postal agencies hate having to pay for insurance claims so they tend to handle the insured pieces differently regardless how it is marked or what is in it. It is a low cost method to keep them honest and also gives you some alternatives in case the worst happens.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

EmperorDinobot

I am a lazy jerk who is lazy.

Actually, no. I work hard.

But right now I'm lazy. It's the weekend so I've earned it.

tyrantqueen

For those of us who are living in England and are feeling patriotic, happy Saint George's day :)

postsaurischian

:-[ .. ehm ... have I already mentioned that we are WELTMEISTER!!  ;D ;D

EmperorDinobot

Hmm I just saw that post about the packaging and thought I'd weigh in:

Priority mail: The devil. It's expensive and packages always make it here smashed. Ever since I quit using priority, not only did I save moolah, but got no complaints ever again.

NEVER EVER EVER use priority unless you absolutely have to. Use standard or first class. It is better.

DinoToyForum

The T. rex in the Senckenberg was taking part in the celebrations the day after Germany won the world cup.

postsaurischian

:D ;D He, he ... cool! Nice find, Dr. admin.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: