News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Paleo-biography of the "chinasaurs"

Started by CarnegieCollector, May 27, 2016, 10:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Like Inpros?
Anways, wouldn't toys made in Hong Kong still be marked Made in China today, due to to switching from the British Empire ( effectively ending it ) to China in 1997?

Quote from: CarnegieCollector on May 30, 2016, 11:53:41 PM
Quite surprisingly, I have a large handful of REALISTIC chinasaurs. They are in storage right now or I would show pictures. They are obviously not like safari or collecta by any means, but they are recognizable and semi-accurate.

Do you mean something like AAA or UKRD?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

terrorchicken

I have a few that are decent. I just foud one at a dollar store near me that is a nicely done ankylosaur of some kind. I previously bought 2 sauropods that were also nice. The brand is called Jaru. $1 each.

Takama

I found chinasaurs of the past to be more interesting then now.  Today I can't go anywhere without finding the same type of chinasaurs being priced anywhere from $1-$5.  And there all the same types that been out since 2004. And very rarely do they change the size of them.  Or the sculpt.

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: terrorchicken on May 31, 2016, 08:48:18 PM
I have a few that are decent. I just foud one at a dollar store near me that is a nicely done ankylosaur of some kind. I previously bought 2 sauropods that were also nice. The brand is called Jaru. $1 each.
i love jaru dinosaurs! I have most of them. But where i buy them they are $4 each...
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

stoneage

Quote from: CarnegieCollector on June 01, 2016, 01:47:47 AM
Quote from: terrorchicken on May 31, 2016, 08:48:18 PM
i love jaru dinosaurs! I have most of them. But where i buy them they are $4 each...

Does somebody have a picture of the the Jaru figures?

Silvanusaurus

An interesting question would be, if we disregard the country of manufacture as the defining feature of these creatures (which I believe we must, considering so many well known brands are made in China, and I'm sure there are 'Chinasaurs' made elsewhere), then what specifically does define something as a 'Chinasaur'? Does the term necessarily imply a lack of quality, in design or in production? Does it suggest a lack of an official brand? Does having a brand name elevate a Chinasaur to something else? If there is a substantial increase in overall quality, has the Chinasaur evolved into another entity altogether? Where is the line drawn between a 'Chinasaur' and a legitimate Dinosaur toy?

acro-man

Damn... i even searched the term "dunusaur" in baidu (the similar google in china)!
very interesting wording indeed.

before this thread, i repeatedly saw people talking about 'chinasaur' without knowing the meaning of it.
most of the times i thought they refer to dinosaurs discovered in China lol
now i have learned it thanks to this topic!

old time chinasaurs we all love.
back in the 1990s, chinasaurs were perhaps the best choice for children - cheap and relevantly detailed.
we now have more brands to choose, more money to spend, and outgrown the age of being fascinated by colors more than scientific accuracy.
that's why chinasaurs are less favored here.
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Halichoeres

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on June 01, 2016, 08:52:17 AM
An interesting question would be, if we disregard the country of manufacture as the defining feature of these creatures (which I believe we must, considering so many well known brands are made in China, and I'm sure there are 'Chinasaurs' made elsewhere), then what specifically does define something as a 'Chinasaur'? Does the term necessarily imply a lack of quality, in design or in production? Does it suggest a lack of an official brand? Does having a brand name elevate a Chinasaur to something else? If there is a substantial increase in overall quality, has the Chinasaur evolved into another entity altogether? Where is the line drawn between a 'Chinasaur' and a legitimate Dinosaur toy?

I think to most people it does usually imply lack of quality and lack of an identifiable brand, because I've seen people say in threads about cheap brands like Imperial and JaRu, "Oh, I thought that was just a chinasaur." That suggests that having a brand somehow changes people's estimation of the figures. I use equivalent terms for anything I can't positively identify, including knockoffs of an established brand from the past or present.

Incidentally, and directed more generally, while recognizing that "dime-o-saur" makes a culture-specific allusion, I still like it for its assonance, which was no doubt part of the reason "chinasaur" took off in the first place.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: acro-man on June 01, 2016, 11:11:46 AM
Damn... i even searched the term "dunusaur" in baidu (the similar google in china)!
very interesting wording indeed.

before this thread, i repeatedly saw people talking about 'chinasaur' without knowing the meaning of it.
most of the times i thought they refer to dinosaurs discovered in China lol
now i have learned it thanks to this topic!

old time chinasaurs we all love.
back in the 1990s, chinasaurs were perhaps the best choice for children - cheap and relevantly detailed.
we now have more brands to choose, more money to spend, and outgrown the age of being fascinated by colors more than scientific accuracy.
that's why chinasaurs are less favored here.
lol! I just picked "dunusoor" because it seemed to fit the expression they typically have on their face, and because of a stupid meme titled "dunusoor" i found on reddit. I have many hand-me down chinasaurs from the 80s and 90s. Iv tried selling them before, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. They're cheap. They're inaccurate (most of the time). And they're sloppily painted. But none the less, they're very special little guys.

CarnegieCollector

By far, my favorite "dunusoor" is the ja-ru spinosaurus. It is accurate to a certain degree, it is made of great plastic, it stands fine, and is well painted. The only thing rarer than an accurate chinasaurian spinosaurus, is a real-live spinosaurus!

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on June 01, 2016, 08:52:17 AM
for me, a chinasaur (dunusoor as i call them) have always been defined as a hollow, cheap plastic, none to accurate, poorly painted dinosaur toy.

tyrantqueen

This is my favourite Chinasaur

because it seems to be based on a piece of artwork

Imperial tend to make the funniest Chinasaurs.

Jetoar

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 02, 2016, 09:49:30 PM
This is my favourite Chinasaur

because it seems to be based on a piece of artwork

Imperial tend to make the funniest Chinasaurs.

I have the same figure and it is my first tyrannnosaur toy  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Silvanusaurus

I do find them much more interesting, and more worth adding to a collection, when they are designed after a specific piece of artwork. They make for good pop culture 'artefacts' in that sense. I find I'm always drawn to the old Imperials and Dor Mei dinosaurs, though I rarely spend money on them as there always seems to be something else more worth buying.

I can't explain it rationally, but I always find myself wanting to get hold of this thing; it's so defiantly, obnoxiously ugly... it almost looks like a chinasaur designed by H. R. Giger:

One of these days I'll finally go overboard and buy it.

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on June 03, 2016, 07:12:35 AM
I do find them much more interesting, and more worth adding to a collection, when they are designed after a specific piece of artwork. They make for good pop culture 'artefacts' in that sense. I find I'm always drawn to the old Imperials and Dor Mei dinosaurs, though I rarely spend money on them as there always seems to be something else more worth buying.

I can't explain it rationally, but I always find myself wanting to get hold of this thing; it's so defiantly, obnoxiously ugly... it almost looks like a chinasaur designed by H. R. Giger:

One of these days I'll finally go overboard and buy it.
its both awesome and horrid at at the same time...

tyrantqueen

I love the two headed ones.

Megalosaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 03, 2016, 04:49:53 PM
[...]

I have that one.
And I'd love to have this one:

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 03, 2016, 04:49:53 PM

omg! I collect chinasaurs of all kinds but iv NEVER seen 2 headed ones!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: