News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Started by dragon53, August 10, 2016, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

I dunno, but in that scene it looks more like the bear got its vocalizations messed up instead of it actively imitating human speech. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

The Atroxious

Quote from: Mini Minmi on April 30, 2018, 06:24:06 PM
The Iraptor being more curious than aggressive while his deminure makes him pretty much always look dangerous no matter what could be very interesting. Plus it would be a fun twist since all the publicity so far makes the Iraptor look like a classic monster vilain. Giving it more depth would be a welcome surprise.

I don't know though... Based on how all the other carnivores behave in these movies where they'll go out of their way to eat people rather than just react like real animals would (I'm thinking of the carnotaurus who stops fleeing the stampede and volcano to stalk the humans in the preview for example), I wonder if hoping for a Frankenstein analogy is realistic.

I actually really want to see this happen. I'm not holding out much hope, nor betting any money on it, but as I understand, this director's last movie was about a threatening, yet benevolent monster, so it had occurred to me, and until the movie comes out, this is my headcanon.

And, yeah, what is it with these completely irrational carnivores? It happens in basically every dinosaur movie I've ever seen, and it's kind of a tired trope by now. What I want to see is villainous herbivores. Anyone who knows anything about hippos, cassowaries, cattle, geese, etc. knows it can be done. Herbivores won't even finish you off, they'll just mutilate you for looking at them funny and leave you to die, slowly. They're not as likely to be the cute, cuddly critters these movies present them as.

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on April 30, 2018, 06:32:50 PM
https://youtu.be/89OP78l9oF0
https://youtu.be/iYlIwaUhGi8

I've never actually seen it, but I've heard a lot of good things. Either way, it did the mimic thing just a few months ago, a bit too fresh for the Indoraptor to do it without seeming like a copycat.

Huh, back when they were advertising it, Annihilation never piqued my interest, but that trailer makes it look really interesting, mostly because it reminds me a lot of a book I enjoyed called Dreamhunter. I'm kind of curious now.

Faelrin

Speaking about murderous herbivores, and on the tune for JP, I still have bad memories as a kid playing the Jurassic Park Sega CD game where if you do this part with honking the jeep wrong, you get gored by it. At the very least TLW played with the dangerous herbivore idea a bit with the Stegosaurus, Pachycephalosaurus, and the herbivores wrecking the camp scene, but it is still bare minimum to the threat the theropods play in these films, where as in nature it is more balanced in many cases.

Honestly this is also why I'm so curious to see how much of a role Stiggy/Stygimoloch will play, especially since it's essentially a smaller Pachycephalosaurus (with longer horns).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Reptilia

In "Annihilation" the bear can mimic human voice because it is altered by some alien intelligence, so it's complete science fiction. There's a mutated alligator too, which features sort of shark's dentition, cause the movie theme is alien intelligence playing with terrestrial life to create something different. If the Indoraptor had the ability to mimic voice that would have some believable base, at least in the JP universe where you can recreate dinosaurs mixing mesozoic DNA with that of modern animals. And it'd be a total coincidence, cause the two movies have been produced basically at the same time.

As for the Carnotaurus stalking humans, I don't think that scene takes place during the stampede, but rather just before. Still unlikely that an animal would stop by to attack anything with a volcano about to erupt, but actually a bit different than stopping from escaping an imminent danger like a volcano already erupting.

I've always seen the raptor talking scene in JP3 as Dr Grant simply waking up from restless sleep and seeing a raptor talking to him whereas is his assistant actually speaking. But the tie-in with the parrot scene makes sense.

Blade-of-the-Moon

yeah i'd really like to see a trike/stego impale a few bad guys..

The Atroxious

Quote from: Reptilia on May 01, 2018, 12:40:10 AM
In "Annihilation" the bear can mimic human voice because it is altered by some alien intelligence, so it's complete science fiction. There's a mutated alligator too, which features sort of shark's dentition, cause the movie theme is alien intelligence playing with terrestrial life to create something different. If the Indoraptor had the ability to mimic voice that would have some believable base, at least in the JP universe where you can recreate dinosaurs mixing mesozoic DNA with that of modern animals. And it'd be a total coincidence, cause the two movies have been produced basically at the same time.

As for the Carnotaurus stalking humans, I don't think that scene takes place during the stampede, but rather just before. Still unlikely that an animal would stop by to attack anything with a volcano about to erupt, but actually a bit different than stopping from escaping an imminent danger like a volcano already erupting.

I've always seen the raptor talking scene in JP3 as Dr Grant simply waking up from restless sleep and seeing a raptor talking to him whereas is his assistant actually speaking. But the tie-in with the parrot scene makes sense.

Now Annihilation sounds a bit like a mix between Dreamhunter and S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Roadside Picnic. The more I learn about it, the more I want to see it. It's a pity the advertisements for it that I saw all gave me the impression that it was a fairly generic disaster movie with a "contagion gets out, people die, and scientists in hazmat suits rush to neutralize the threat" sort of plot. It sounds like my sort of thing, though admittedly I could probably do without the romance part shown in the trailer. These movies always try to shoehorn that sort of thing in.

Of course the bigger question is why are these carnivorous dinosaurs always hungry? Moreover, what ever happened to the real life problem of how carnivorous animals are notorious for avoiding unfamiliar prey? The JP/JW carnivores just want to eat everything for no apparent reason.

I'm probably putting too much thought into this. It's just something that I've noticed that consistently clashes with real world animal behavior. In reality, it's the carnivores that are going to be easier to tame and more amenable to humans, since it's a lot harder for them to get a free meal than it is for herbivores. Trying to tame large herbivores is much more of an issue, most of them being far more independent minded than carnivores. There's a reason there aren't a lot of tame zebras, antelope, deer, and so on, while pretty much all the tame show animals are carnivores (think dolphins, wolves, raptors, and Pantherine cats).

Reptilia

Quote from: The Atroxious on April 30, 2018, 09:17:34 PM
Huh, back when they were advertising it, Annihilation never piqued my interest, but that trailer makes it look really interesting, mostly because it reminds me a lot of a book I enjoyed called Dreamhunter. I'm kind of curious now.

This is the original novel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annihilation_(VanderMeer_novel)

CityRaptor

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 30, 2018, 05:01:16 PM
QuoteThe reason they probably want Blue specifically is because Blue is birthed through the IBRIS Program, which genetically domesticated the Raptors by engineering severe aggression and unpredictability out of their genome. Utilizing Blues DNA would make the iRaptor more docile and thus more willing to take orders in military application. They have a whole manner of species DNA profiles on hand. So I imagine that it's because Blues DNA is special. They're also discussing animal trade exploitation in this one, since they're selling the iRaptor to the highest bidder, imagine owning a slightly less aggressive raptor. It'd be like owning a panther.

Another thing to consider is the grow cycle. We're theorizing that Blues DNA is mixed with that of the Indominus to create the iRaptor. But it's possible they're using advanced growth hormones to increase the growth rate of the iRaptor. If this is true, then unlike Blue bonding with Owen and gaining a positive relationship with him, the iRaptor has no relationship formed with humans and thus has no idea what they are and is instantly afraid (and in turn, aggressive) of them. This would continue another side of the Frankenstein story where the monster was fearful of humanity, yet also curious of it and slowly learned civility through observation. If this is the case, then the scene where the iRaptor is investigating Masie in her bed directly mirrors the scene in Frankenstein when the monster curiously investigates Dr. Frankenstein while he's sleeping in his bed.

Interesting theory. However Claire was mentioning species when talking to that guy, while, so he could mean that Blue is the last Raptor. Unless the fact that both Mattel and Lego have a green Raptor in the toyline hint at more of them.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CityRaptor on May 01, 2018, 01:46:34 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 30, 2018, 05:01:16 PM
QuoteThe reason they probably want Blue specifically is because Blue is birthed through the IBRIS Program, which genetically domesticated the Raptors by engineering severe aggression and unpredictability out of their genome. Utilizing Blues DNA would make the iRaptor more docile and thus more willing to take orders in military application. They have a whole manner of species DNA profiles on hand. So I imagine that it's because Blues DNA is special. They're also discussing animal trade exploitation in this one, since they're selling the iRaptor to the highest bidder, imagine owning a slightly less aggressive raptor. It'd be like owning a panther.

Another thing to consider is the grow cycle. We're theorizing that Blues DNA is mixed with that of the Indominus to create the iRaptor. But it's possible they're using advanced growth hormones to increase the growth rate of the iRaptor. If this is true, then unlike Blue bonding with Owen and gaining a positive relationship with him, the iRaptor has no relationship formed with humans and thus has no idea what they are and is instantly afraid (and in turn, aggressive) of them. This would continue another side of the Frankenstein story where the monster was fearful of humanity, yet also curious of it and slowly learned civility through observation. If this is the case, then the scene where the iRaptor is investigating Masie in her bed directly mirrors the scene in Frankenstein when the monster curiously investigates Dr. Frankenstein while he's sleeping in his bed.

Interesting theory. However Claire was mentioning species when talking to that guy, while, so he could mean that Blue is the last Raptor. Unless the fact that both Mattel and Lego have a green Raptor in the toyline hint at more of them.

yeah that green raptor has me convinced there are more, he's part of the basic line , RC , and mini figures.   I also just saw this as part of the Stiggy/ Destruct a saurs set :

Flaffy

Where did you get that image from?
I know JPtoys has a full list of the upcoming mattel products, but they unfortunately only have 1 image per item.

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: The Atroxious on May 01, 2018, 08:20:26 AM
Of course the bigger question is why are these carnivorous dinosaurs always hungry? Moreover, what ever happened to the real life problem of how carnivorous animals are notorious for avoiding unfamiliar prey? The JP/JW carnivores just want to eat everything for no apparent reason.

To be fair, the Dinosaurs have all been raised by, fed by, and are constantly surrounded by humans. Some of the carnivores probably outright associate humans with food (or at least a flare in regards to Rexy) and see us the same way a conditioned alligator or lion does, which would make them very dangerous. If anything, I think the Carnotaurus would be more afraid of a herbivorous dinosaur than a human, given that it probably never met one while in its cage.

As for the Carnotaurus attacking during an eruption, the lego video seems to imply that Claire and co. were being chased by it before the volcano erupted, and it followed them into the stampede.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on May 01, 2018, 04:30:28 PM
Where did you get that image from?
I know JPtoys has a full list of the upcoming mattel products, but they unfortunately only have 1 image per item.

Someone posted a link to a full gallery and it was one of them.

Reptilia

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on May 02, 2018, 04:12:38 AM
As for the Carnotaurus attacking during an eruption, the lego video seems to imply that Claire and co. were being chased by it before the volcano erupted, and it followed them into the stampede.

I think that many are misinterpreting that scene because it is after the stampede in the trailer, but it must take place before the stampede. The latest clip sees Claire and the guy that have just escaped the Baryonyx, while Owen is coming screaming "run". That's when the big confusion and the stampede start, the Carnotaurus scene must happen earlier.

Jose S.M.

Trailers have scenes made specially for them sometimes, I wouldn't be surprised if in the Carnotaurus scene, when rexy attacks it and roars, there's no explosion in the background like in the trailer.

Reptilia

Yes, that sounds likely.

Cretaceous Crab

And additionally, some trailers may feature footage that ends up being cut from the final theatrical film. King Kong (2005) was one example, where some of the trailers showed the Piranhadon's fin breaking the surface of the water as it stalked the raft. That entire scene was not in the theatrical version, although it was in the extended DVD release.

Reptilia

Hard to think the Carnotaurus scene won't be in, though.

amargasaurus cazaui

Spoiler
Infinity War trailers are smack full of fake scenes shot to intentionally misle people......
[close]

A popular current film has admitted  to filming multiple fake scenes to misdirect even the cast and crew
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoToyForum

Isn't a trailer just an advert for a film? In which case, could including scenes in the trailer that do not appear in the film be construed as false advertising? I'm sure Hollywood lawyers will have considered this.

Faelrin

Honestly even the Jurassic World trailers had some scenes that were not in, either for just being trailer scenes, or being deleted. The poop scene and that one line Hoskins had come to mind. Granted I'm not too overly concerned with how this is going to play out until I actually see the movie when it comes out, but that's mostly so I don't set my self up to be disappointed.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: