You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Your "I'm certain that this dinosaur was this colour!" colour schemes?

Started by Dilopho, August 31, 2016, 03:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dilopho

Does anyone have a certain colour scheme for a dinosaur that they think looks perfect/correct? I have one for T. rex, I know the animal probably didn't look like this but everytime I draw this dinosaur I always give it this colour scheme because it just looks....right, to me!

And another one I feel is perfect is the Collecta Torosaurus colour scheme- that right there is Torosaurus to me!
(And everyone seems to like the WWD Liopleurodon pattern!)

DinoLord

I have mental color schemes for certain dinosaur species, and like to get commission figures/kits of these if possible. Some of them hark back to my old days of creating dinosaurs on the computer game Spore.

Dilopho

Quote from: DinoLord on August 31, 2016, 03:26:38 PM
I have mental color schemes for certain dinosaur species, and like to get commission figures/kits of these if possible. Some of them hark back to my old days of creating dinosaurs on the computer game Spore.
Do you have any examples?
Also spore was super fun...

Jose S.M.

I really like collecta Torosaurus too.  Specially the eye spots on the frill,  I wish other companies would do that more,  even Collecta isn't using eye spots now. And I like greenish Stegosaurus, it might be overdone and safe but I like that. Also I would like some black Theropods, black dinosaurs in general,  I really like the collecta Xenoceratops.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I tend to visualize triceratops being blue/gray, stegosaurus green with red plates, tyrannosaurus brown, and deinonychus female brown and male black.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Nanuqsaurus

Nanuqsaurus always has a polar bear/snowy owl color scheme for me! :))

Dilopho

I wonder why the green Stegosaurus with red plates and the WWD Liopleurodon is always thought of  ???

MLMjp

I usually like Tyrannosaurus with dark browns and reds, grey and black also look good.
Apatosaurus is always grey/blueish grey for me.
Red is a color that I associate always with Carnotaurus, although grey also looks cool.
I always depict Edmontosaurus annectens with sandy yellows and dark stripes.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: MLMjp on August 31, 2016, 07:49:15 PM
Isn't there a striped pattern known from one of the mummies?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Silvanusaurus

My default colour scheme for T rexes is red, I'm not sure why exactly, but it could be because my favourite T rex when I was a child was the red, soft bodied Jurassic Park T rex puppet I had. I loved that puppet. I'd probably still have it if it hadn't mysteriously dissappeared without a trace.  :'(

MLMjp

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on August 31, 2016, 08:07:26 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on August 31, 2016, 07:49:15 PM
Isn't there a striped pattern known from one of the mummies?
For what I now, it is believed that the mummy "Dakota" had stripes because of the different size of the scales( At least is what the NatGeo documentary "Authopsy of a dinosaur" said)
If it´s true, then there more reason to give it the color scheme I said!
But the idea of the sandy yellow with stripes color scheme came from the Edmontosaurus from JP Operation Genesis:

Derek.McManus

Greenish Stegosaurs with orange red plates...I've seen this so many times since growing up as a kid in the 1970's it's hard to visualise it any other way! Also the blue / gray Styracosaurs from Valley of the Gwangi is fairly well imprinted on my mind! 😀

DinoLord

Quote from: Dilopho on August 31, 2016, 03:28:06 PM
Quote from: DinoLord on August 31, 2016, 03:26:38 PM
Do you have any examples?
Also spore was super fun...

Meant to respond to this ages ago but the Spore website was being wonky at the time and I forgot. But here are some of my favorites.

Diabloceratops:

Allosaurus:

Huaxiagnathus:

Utahraptor:

Tyto_Theropod

I used to have several of these, but I'm becoming a lot more flexible. For example, I used to think of Diplodocus as light grey because of a grey or white one in a book I had when I was very little, but I love my Carnegie Dippy so much that I'm far more open to other colours now. There are some that still hold, though: my Velociraptors always end up in range of pale browns, sandy yellows and gingers with darker scales on the snout and stripes on the tail. Spinosaurus has a sort of brown/yellow/white gradient running from the dorsal to ventral surfaces of the animal, probably influenced by the reconstructions from 2014 (before that I used to go with a darker yellow on most of the body in my pictures of it). In a way, both these and a lot of my other colour 'headcanons' make sense. Velociraptor lived in a desert and might have needed to hide from potential prey or larger predators on occasion, so sandy colours makes sense, and Spinosaurus being dark on top and pale on its underside would be a typical colour scheme for an aquatic or semi-aquatic animal. I might even have had emperor penguins in mind when I came up with the idea... ;)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Killekor

I think that the Criolophosaurus was like this: fuchsia (top, head), clear green (crest, hands, feet, bottom), clear blue (eyes, claws).
The Spinosaurus i think was like my repaint (look my repaints tread).
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Patrx

I generally presume that Triceratops was blue with white and yellow patterns on its face - for some mysterious reason.

CityRaptor

So, does that only count for the male while the female is pink with silver and yellow patterns?

Quote from: Dilopho on August 31, 2016, 07:09:31 PM
I wonder why the green Stegosaurus with red plates and the WWD Liopleurodon is always thought of  ???

Well, in case of Stegosaurus that has been a colorscheme before. And Liopleurodon is the result of pop culture.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Patrx

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 08, 2016, 08:22:55 PM
So, does that only count for the male while the female is pink with silver and yellow patterns?

It can't be ruled out! ;D While I do happen to think that is a butt-ugly robot overall, the colors are perfectly fine.

Dilopho

Quote from: Patrx on November 08, 2016, 09:13:07 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on November 08, 2016, 08:22:55 PM

It can't be ruled out! ;D While I do happen to think that is a butt-ugly robot overall, the colors are perfectly fine.

Is...is that a Triceratops? It...really doesn't look like one  :D Also, who's to say the male can't be the pink one? It's a flashier colour than blue!  ^-^

Personally I think this would be a nice colour scheme for Tyannosaurus:

Patrx

Quote from: Dilopho on November 08, 2016, 09:15:55 PM
Quote from: Patrx on November 08, 2016, 09:13:07 PM

Is...is that a Triceratops? It...really doesn't look like one  :D Also, who's to say the male can't be the pink one? It's a flashier colour than blue!  ^-^

You kinda have to squint and pretend the horns are actually part of the face instead of being bolted onto the back. And try to imagine it has a neck. Good point about the colors!

As to the other robot there, yeah, the tyrant king always looks good in red! Mark Witton uses a striped red and grey pattern for T. rex on occasion, I think it seems very suitable.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: