You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto

Started by suspsy, October 04, 2016, 09:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

The ROM is Canada's largest natural history museum, located right in downtown Toronto. After undergoing a major expansion and renovation some years ago, its dinosaur collection rivals that of the Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology in Alberta.

The biggest star of the museum, and the biggest mounted dinosaur skeleton in all of Canada, is the Futalognkosaurus in the main lobby.

IMG_1916 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1920 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_2055 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_2056 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

suspsy

Flying overhead is a Quetzalcoatlus.

IMG_2038 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1912 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1919 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

And here's Prosaurolophus and Edmontosaurus respectively.

IMG_2066 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_2067 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

I will never be able to visit without thinking of Fringe ;D

fason

ill never be able to take in the scale of these animals ,for some reason its stuck in my head that trex was the size of an elephant and sauropods , giraffes . I need help....

suspsy

Steneosaurus.

IMG_1921 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Eurhinosaurus.

IMG_1930 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1931 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Temnodontosaurus.

IMG_1932 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Excalibosaurus.

IMG_2059 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Archelon.

IMG_1933 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Xiphinactus.

IMG_1969 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1968 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Hydrotherosaurus.

IMG_1967 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Platecarpus and Trinacromerum.

IMG_1970 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1973 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1971 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Tylosaurus.

IMG_1972 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

I love those skeletons that are like still within the rocks.

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on October 04, 2016, 09:07:33 PM
The ROM is Canada's largest natural history museum, located right in downtown Toronto. After undergoing a major expansion and renovation some years ago, its dinosaur collection rivals that of the Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology in Alberta.

The biggest star of the museum, and the biggest mounted dinosaur skeleton in all of Canada, is the Futalognkosaurus in the main lobby.

Never understood that name....it's way longer than a foot :))

Seriously, great shots.

I haven't been back since the Ultimate Dinosaurs exhibit, have they finally done something with the original interior exhibits? I was disappointed that most of the displays were now in that horrible drywall crystal they tacked on to the front of that great building while trying so hard to be avant-garde.

suspsy

Thanks, Doug! There are a couple of new faces in the dinosaur gallery (stay tuned!), but otherwise, it's still the same layout.

Uncle Rex

Thanks for the great pics. It's been years since I visited the ROM. I'll make a point of visiting again soon.

suspsy

Deinonychus, unfortunately with pronated wrists.

IMG_1923 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Albertosaurus.

IMG_1925 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Dromaeosaurus.

IMG_1926 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Anzu. What a gorgeous mount.

IMG_1927 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1929 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Ornithomimus.

IMG_1928 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

suspsy

Maiasaura adult and babies, with Gryposaurus on the wall.

IMG_1937 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Corythosaurus.

IMG_1938 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1942 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Lambeosaurus.

IMG_1939 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1943 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1945 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Parasaurolophus.

IMG_1944 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

suspsy

Euoplocephalus. It really is scary how damn BIG that club is up close!

IMG_1940 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1941 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Geosternbergia male and female.

IMG_1947 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_2060 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Allosaurus and Stegosaurus. Many years ago, the original dinosaur gallery had two Allosaurus surrounding the Stegosaurus in a diorama setting. I liked that a lot better than this.

IMG_2057 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1935 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1934 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1936 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on October 08, 2016, 02:17:21 PM
Allosaurus and Stegosaurus. Many years ago, the original dinosaur gallery had two Allosaurus surrounding the Stegosaurus in a diorama setting. I liked that a lot better than this.

The Cave! Yes that was cool, back in the seventies I visited their model shop for a behind the scenes tour and sharing of ideas and the head of the shop took me into the paleo hall through secret door that opened up in back of one of the displays. We stepped into the display and then out into the hall to the surprise of those there. The door was covered with the same hanging stuff that made up the background and was barely noticeable when closed. At least I had never noticed it in previous visits and it was in plain site.

suspsy

I loved the old underwater diorama that had light radiating from the ceiling to simulate waves. There was a Tylosaurus skeleton that lay on the floor as though it was a carcass being picked over by the Platecarpus. I don't know why they didn't mount it on the wall of the new gallery as they did with the Hydrotherosaurus.

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on October 08, 2016, 04:09:25 PM
I loved the old underwater diorama that had light radiating from the ceiling to simulate waves. There was a Tylosaurus skeleton that lay on the floor as though it was a carcass being picked over by the Platecarpus. I don't know why they didn't mount on the wall of the new gallery as they did with the Hydrotherosaurus.

I had forgotten about those, they were cool. I must have slides of those somewhere.

suspsy

There was also a nifty La Brea tarpit diorama with a giant sloth sinking into the tar while a couple of dire wolves and a Smilodon approached it. I don't understand why natural history museums avoid such displays these days. Is it just to save space, or do fewer people appreciate fine artistry?

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on October 08, 2016, 04:18:10 PM
There was also a nifty La Brea tarpit diorama with a giant sloth sinking into the tar while a couple of dire wolves and a Smilodon approached it. I don't understand why natural history museums avoid such displays these days. Is it just to save space, or do fewer people appreciate fine artistry?

It is mainly cost. That is what killed the model & diorama shop at CMN. Plus the hoity toities in programming argued that most visitors spent less than 10 seconds in front of dioramas. A number that I seriously doubt to this day. But cost wise it is must cheaper to pay Research Castings or P.A.S.T to come in and assemble a skeleton than it is to create an artificial environment around them.

suspsy

Here's the second largest mounted dinosaur in Canada, Barosaurus. Unlike the famous rearing skeleton at the AMNH, this one contains a lot of real fossil bone.

IMG_1957 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1958 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1960 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Cast of a baby sauropod, possibly Apatosaurus.

IMG_1959 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Camptosaurus.

IMG_1955 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

And here's a newcomer to the gallery, Mymoorapelta! To my knowledge, this is one of only two ankylosaur skeletons mounted in Canada. The other is a Euoplocephalus at the Tyrrell.

IMG_1954 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1956 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_2061 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

suspsy

Tyrannosaurus rex! This impressive cast is based on the famous Wankel specimen, the one that will feature at the Smithsonian when it reopens in 2019.

IMG_2062 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1975 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_2012 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1976 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_1977 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Adult and juvenile skulls.

IMG_1978 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Acheroraptor.

IMG_1988 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Caudipteryx.

Untitled by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Bambiraptor dancing with a great blue heron.

IMG_2000 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Herperonis.

IMG_2003 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

An excellent Microraptor sculpture with a bright but now inaccurate colour scheme.

IMG_2001 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_2002 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: