News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Chicago Toy Show

Started by BlueKrono, October 06, 2016, 09:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Is anyone else planning on going to the Chicago Toy Show? Hundreds of toy vendors from around the country are converging in the Midwest on October 23 (one day only!) to offer an unparalleled selection of toys. It takes place on the fairgrounds in half a dozen huge buildings. There will be over 1,000 tables of toys vintage and new to peruse. I don't know about you, but that sounds like a heck of a good time to me. Just thought I'd get the word out to my fellow dino toy afficianados. Looks like there are also some perks for any Star Wars fans out there too.

http://www.chicagotoyshow.com/
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

I'm going to the Chicago Toy and Game Fair in Chicago 19-20 November. This is the first I'd heard of the Chicago Toy Show. I'd like to go, but I live in the city and don't have a car (it's rare that the suburbs have something I want that I can't get in the city, but this would seem to be such a case). Getting way out to Kane County on the Metra on a Sunday would be a gigantic pain--where are you coming from, and would you be interested in carpooling? Definitely willing to throw in for gas.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

I'll be driving in from Minnesota in my own car. I'll be arriving Saturday night. Might be an early morning, but I could pick up.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on October 15, 2016, 09:29:10 PM
I'll be driving in from Minnesota in my own car. I'll be arriving Saturday night. Might be an early morning, but I could pick up.
I'll send you a PM!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Derek.McManus

Have fun folks! Snap a few photos for everyone who can't make it!

BlueKrono

Derek.McManus - I kinda got the impression that all the people at the show wouldn't much fancy having some random guy snap photos of them, but it was truly a huge, extensive show. It was cool getting to hang out with Mr. Fish himself Halichoeres, who I will go on record as saying is a very pleasant person to spend the day with.

To give you an idea of exactly what flavor of nerd I am, here are a couple pictures showing my haul from the toy show. I have a lot of collections...  :P I will also expound on a few of the more dinosaurian selections that might be of interest to the fine folks of this forum.

Haul part 1

Haul part 2

First up we have Captain Dasha, the "Lovely master of war and sorcery" from Ultima Online, which is some kind of video game I think?

As we were walking the aisles a familiar shape caught my eye. "Is that a Cephalaspis?" I asked Halichoeres. "Looks like it. Or a Hemicyclaspis," he suggested. Apparently Dasha's arm guard is a prehistoric fish. It could conceivably be based on a modern horsehoe crab, but it certainly bears a stronger resemblance to the prehistoric Hemicyclaspis. She seems to have a rather marine themed outfit in general, with shark skin plating and seaweed draping.

The "lovely master" has only four points of articulation but excellent detail, a hallmark of the McFarlane toy company, making for poor playability but an excellent display piece. Even her head is immobile. For comparison, the action figures of Marvel supervillains the Lizard and Tiger Shark which I also acquired at this show had 22 and 27 points of articulation, respectively.

The Hemi has excellent detailing on every surface, even the underside which can't be seen when the figure is displayed, which is a typical trait of McFarlane. Overall I think it's a very cool little critter and was worth the price I paid for the complete, boxed figure.

As a bonus, one of her accoutrements appears to be some sort of ammonite.

I fished this Diatryma out of a mixed bag of MPC dinos. The vendor agreed to sell me the "bird for a buck". Would love to find this in different colors.

You all remember Pterri from Pee-wee's Playhouse? No? Yeah, it was a little before my time too. Either way, I snagged this guy for cheaper than they've got him on eBay. I gave him a good scrubbing after this photo was taken. Windup still works.

One of the Hot Wheels I got was a dinosaur. New take on Dino Riders?

This neat-looking chap with extendable neck was a Hardee's premium from 1994. Bought in the original bag, at $1 the price was right.

The only figure made of obscure Marvel superhero Dinah Soar. Love the flavor text on her card: "Her? Well, she flies. And we think it's a 'her.'" I would think the mammaries would give it away. :o

Chap Mei knockoff sail-backed Dilophosaurus. Dug out of a box of random dinos, this was another $1 buy. This figure has no articulation at all, unless you count the detachable frill. The detailing hasn't suffered, so I don't know if this is from a recasting of Chap Mei's figure or what.

I thought I'd throw this guy in too just because he's so delightfully weird. Some kind of sail-finned, horned frog? I have no idea what this is from, nor did the seller. It says Fisher Price, 1983. Any ideas?

Nanuqsaurus

Love the Star Wars stuff! :D I'm kinda new to the whole Star Wars universe, but I've seen al movies and now I'm watching The Clone Wars. Clone Commander Cody is awesome, that's a nice figure to have in your collection!

copper

Quote from: BlueKrono on November 15, 2016, 04:43:34 PM

Aww this one is adorable!

CityRaptor

Hm, I remember seeing that one in green. A quick google search reveals that it is called Speed-A-Saurus and came in several colors:
http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/Speed-A-Saurus

Oddly it is not part of the Dino-Riders series:
http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_2016_Hot_Wheels#Dino_Riders
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

This was a fun show, and BlueKrono was good company! I didn't end up getting any dinosaur stuff, but I got the original 1978 Lego castle, as well as some of the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror action figure sets. And a pretty lackluster bratwurst.

Archinto

I thought I'd throw this guy in too just because he's so delightfully weird. Some kind of sail-finned, horned frog? I have no idea what this is from, nor did the seller. It says Fisher Price, 1983. Any ideas?

Fisher Price Adventure People. This one came with an alpha star land rover vehicle and a space guy
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: copper on November 15, 2016, 09:49:44 PM

Aww this one is adorable!

I have one of those, but mine is gold with a green Stegosaur.
I am the Dinosaur King!

CityRaptor

Then you have a later version. Just look at the link I posted. Far more interesting than than all those Hot Wheels that are just cars, isn't it?
Oh no

Archinto

The original version of this car was a grassey/olivey green stego with a chrome bottom and old style mag wheels. I remember when they came out, they were the coolest! Theres another one that is kindof a robotic t rex style too that came in a few varieties, even color change :)
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

BlueKrono

Archinto - You're my new hero! I was wondering if it was maybe supposed to be an alien. But now I know.  ^-^

CityRaptor - Yes, I have the turquoise, lime green, grey and purple versions. I think I'm missing the normal green one from 2000 though.

Nanuqsaurus - I don't usually share non-dinosaur stuff on this forum, but I'll indulge just this once. My Commander Cody collection is fairly extensive. The crowning jewel is the Celebration Europe Exclusive bronze Commander Cody, a limited edition of just 99, only sold at one show in Germany. It cost 350 euros at the show, so it was pretty hard to come by.  :o

CityRaptor

Well, those a re lot versions of just one guy.

Quote from: BlueKrono on November 18, 2016, 02:04:06 PM
CityRaptor - Yes, I have the turquoise, lime green, grey and purple versions. I think I'm missing the normal green one from 2000 though.

I guess that means that you have a small herd of them.
Oh no

Archinto

Where is the commander cody lego minifigure?? :o

I have him in keychain form i think.... if you want him. I would trade him for a small interesting dinosaur figure :) id have to dig but i might have him in regular figure form too. Lemme make sure the keychain is actually commander cody Befor egetti g too excited lol.  Pretty sure it is.

Nanuqsaurus

That's... a lot of Cody! :P Do you have any Captain Rex stuff as well? I'd say he's the most awesome Clone trooper.

BlueKrono

CityRaptor - Maybe I'll post a pic of all my dinosaur Hot Wheels cars. I think the robotic one Archinto mentioned was the Double Demon, which I have in many colors.

Archinto - Lego never made Cody as a keychain, but there is a figure of him from one of the big expensive sets. To get even this minifigure on eBay costs more than the 8 inch Lego Cody seen in the middle of the first picture. I had a Lego Bossk keychain on my keys for the longest time until he fell apart. Now I sport a Lego juvenile genetically abnormal ninjutsu-practicing chelonian.

Nanuqsaurus - I think we need to fight now.  :P You may be in the "Rex is king" camp, but I'm Cody all the way.

CityRaptor

You should. All the Hot Wheels I see here ( not that I often look at those ) are the boring non-animal ones. Do you have the Fangster, too?
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: