You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Florida Museum of Natural History

Started by MaastrichtianGuy, November 03, 2016, 12:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaastrichtianGuy

since suspsy already post two topics about the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto and the Canadian Museum of Nature in Ottawa Ontario Canada which is the place that the two museums are in so i wanted to do my topic of a museum thats in Florida But In Gainesville which my brother currently lives now its Called The Florida Museum of Natural History it may have Dinosaurs But Doesnt Have Any Dinosaur Mounts in it but animals From Prehistoric Florida so here are the photos

so heres the star of the museum.the Columbian Mammoth AKA the Imperial Mammoth

a display of a Columbian Mammoth Teeth and an American Mastodon Teeth

American Mastodon

a model of an American Mastodon By Charles R. Knight

a head of an Edestus being a Fund Raiser

a C. Megalodon Tooth

laticauda

Great pics.  I'm a sucker for Mammoths and Mastodons. That's really cool that they have a model of the American Mastodon by Charles R. Knight.

suspsy

Cool pics! I look forward to seeing what's next!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

MaastrichtianGuy

the Discovery Room

here is some guest that helped me built this big wooden Woolly Mammoth Skeleton by B.C. Bones that becomes playable in the Discovery Room

there is badly broken and sadly damaged and broken Carnegies and Safaris in the floor which probably by the kids who dont know how to take care of them well and play them really roughly

Menoceras Bone Bed

the signs to the Fossil Plant Garden

Cabbage Palmetto

Chestnut Dioon AKA Palma De La Virgen

Florida Coontie AKA Florida Arrowroot

Fossilized Bald Cypress

Ginkgo AKA Maidenhair Tree

Japanese Sago Palm

Moss

Saw Palmetto

heres the Collectors Shop

plus they even had those favoritable and collectable safari's evolution of man set safari dinos carnegie dinos the great dinos and the toob dinos in it plus some modern day dinosaurs too

MaastrichtianGuy

a sign to the Florida Fossils: Evolution of Life & Land

Titanis the only post dinosaur in the museum Preying on a Webb's Tapir

Zygorhiza

Flaffy

That poor 2006 Safari amebelodon on the floor...

Jose S.M.

Thanks for sharing! Great pics. The pics of the gift shop make me jealous haha, the only museum with prehistoric animals where I live doesn't even have one.

Doug Watson

Hey thanks for sharing! I had an uncle that lived in Gainesville and when I would visit him and his family my wife and I would visit the museum. It is run by Florida State University. I was always impressed by the professional quality of their displays. On one visit they had a glass booth set up in the entrance and a fossil preparator would work on a fossil in full view of the visitors. My last visit was probably in 1989 right after my Uncle passed so it looks like a lot has changed but the quality is still high. They didn't have the Knight sculpture on display back then and a lot of the other exhibits in your photos like the Fossil Plant Garden. But my biggest thrill is seeing my Safari Ltd pieces there. Back when I was there I was a long way from working for Safari so this is a real treat, besides my prehistoric pieces I can see my Badger, Flamingo, Great Horned Owl, Bald Eagle, Wild Turkey and Gouldian Finch.

MaastrichtianGuy

Quote from: Doug Watson on November 03, 2016, 02:56:16 PM
Hey thanks for sharing! I had an uncle that lived in Gainesville and when I would visit him and his family my wife and I would visit the museum. It is run by Florida State University. I was always impressed by the professional quality of their displays. On one visit they had a glass booth set up in the entrance and a fossil preparator would work on a fossil in full view of the visitors. My last visit was probably in 1989 right after my Uncle passed so it looks like a lot has changed but the quality is still high. They didn't have the Knight sculpture on display back then and a lot of the other exhibits in your photos like the Fossil Plant Garden. But my biggest thrill is seeing my Safari Ltd pieces there. Back when I was there I was a long way from working for Safari so this is a real treat, besides my prehistoric pieces I can see my Badger, Flamingo, Great Horned Owl, Bald Eagle, Wild Turkey and Gouldian Finch.
so you created the badger flamingo great horned owl bald eagle wild turkey and the gouldian finch

Doug Watson

Quote from: MaastrichtianGuy on November 03, 2016, 05:38:54 PM
so you created the badger flamingo great horned owl bald eagle wild turkey and the gouldian finch

Yes, and many more.

MaastrichtianGuy

Quote from: Doug Watson on November 09, 2016, 02:55:31 PM
Quote from: MaastrichtianGuy on November 03, 2016, 05:38:54 PM

Yes, and many more.
ok well the reason why back in your day they didnt have fossil plant garden and the american mastodon model by charles r. knight right next to the american mastodon display is that is because the fossil plant garden was added in the museum in 2005 the charles r. knight exhibit was added in 2007 and the mastodon sculpture he made was added in 2010 next to the american mastodon exhibit. but i will get and add pics from the charles r. knight exhibit soon

MaastrichtianGuy

Amphicyon preying on a Archaeohippus

Eremotherium

Florida Spectacled Bear AKA Florida Cave Bear or Florida Short Faced Bear

Glyptotherium

Hemiauchenia

Hesperotestudo

Holmesina

Postosuchus84

Sadly as many times as I've gone to Florida for vacation or otherwise I don't recall ever visiting their museum down there. Looks awesome from the pictures though. Love the mammal focus instead of dinosaurs. Good they get the spotlight and some attention.

MaastrichtianGuy

a Pleistocene North American Jaguar pouncing on a Platygonus

Mesoreodon

Pterosphenus

Teleoceras being taken down by a pair of Barbourofelis

Thinobastides

Xenosmilus

MaastrichtianGuy

Ice Age River Fossils which is not in the Hall of Fossils Exhibit but in the Northwest Florida: Waterways & Wildlife Exhibit

a Carbonemys from the Titanoboa Exhibit

Shark Jaw Row part of the Hall of Fossils Exhibit

Broad Toothed Mako Shark

Carcharocles/Carcharodon angustidens

False Mako Shark

Great White Shark

Megalodon

and Snaggletooth Shark

Jose S.M.

Thanks for sharing those great photos! Those eexexhibitions look really good.

MaastrichtianGuy

here it is the Charles R. Knight Studies of Lost Worlds Exhibit

The Period Diorama with each background of five of the Dioramas painted by Doug Henderson

Cambrian Period

Cretaceous Period

Devonian Period

Ordovician Period

and the Permian Period

Neosodon

I went to Florida years ago with my family and we went to the dinosaur world park that was basically a bunch of life sized dinosaur statues in the woods. I wanted to go the museum too but it was hard enough to convince them to go to one dinosaur attraction.:( But thanks for the photos, I can see what I missed now. :D

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

MaastrichtianGuy

Quote from: Neosodon on December 12, 2016, 02:31:14 AM
I went to Florida years ago with my family and we went to the dinosaur world park that was basically a bunch of life sized dinosaur statues in the woods. I wanted to go the museum too but it was hard enough to convince them to go to one dinosaur attraction.:( But thanks for the photos, I can see what I missed now. :D
well thats gonna be in my other topic focusing on the dinosaur world park but this attraction doesnt have any dinosaurs but at least theres only one dinosaur in there

MaastrichtianGuy

Mid Eocene Dugongid

Aturia Alabamensis eating a Blue Crab

Parahippus

Koford's Condor

Carcharocles Angustidens

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: