News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pylraster

They aren't perfect but they're not bad. Glad to see that Papo is moving away from dull colors. Cryo's tripod pose doesn't bother me much... since it doesn't seem to be dragging its tail.

The Acro I would've liked better if it didn't have the colors of their Rainbow Rex.

Dinomike

I really like all of these except for the Dimorphodon. The Cryolophosaurus has a very pleasing color scheme and I also like the pose despite it being a tripod stance. These are great - and probably cheaper - alternatives for Rebor's stuff. What a year it has been for dinosaur figures: All the amazing new Safari figures and now these!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

EmperorDinobot

The poses on the Ceratosaurus and Cryolophosaurus are deplorable. The Dimorphodon is also deplorable.

No herbivorous dinosaurs. My heart is crushed. My delicate, wee heart...is crushed.

The Acro looks nice though. They sure love that color scheme. Their colors are generally nice. Yeah.

tanystropheus

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on December 17, 2016, 07:01:55 AM
The Dimorphodon is also deplorable.

Dimorphodon is not les deplorable. It is probably the best JP interpretation. Unless you prefer the Hasbro.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The poses on the Ceratosaurus and Cryolophosaurus are deplorable. The Dimorphodon is also deplorable.

No herbivorous dinosaurs. My heart is crushed. My delicate, wee heart...is crushed.

The Acro looks nice though. They sure love that color scheme. Their colors are generally nice. Yeah.

Is " deplorable"the word of the day? lol

What about the Polacanthus and Iguanadon? These were just found somewhere online, no info yet if this is all of them.

kreativtek

I am very impressed with Papo's lineup this year but I won't argue about the details of each figure before I see photos of the actual products. We all know how good Papo makes the prototypes look. Remember Baryonyx?

Takama

Ok guys i may be haveing another one of my CRAZ conspiracy theroris again, but I wonder if Iguanodon was planned, but they choose Polacanthus instead?

teddybier

I am completely happy :) Do like the dinosaurs, don't care that much about the mammals. But then again, I'm not that much into scientific accuracy. But wasn't an Iguanodon announced?

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 17, 2016, 07:37:51 AM

What about the Polacanthus and Iguanadon? These were just found somewhere online, no info yet if this is all of them.

The Polacanthus looks fantastic. I saw the leaks. I forgot about it. I haven't seen the Iguanodon. It's probably somewhere in the thread, but I'm not going to look for it.

No, Tanystropheus, I hate the JW version and wish Papo had tried doing a real one. Their Pteranodon is my most hated dino figure of all time. Seems to me like the only good one is the Safari one, and I'm definitely getting the large one from...who is it that is producing one?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on December 17, 2016, 08:55:35 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 17, 2016, 07:37:51 AM

The Polacanthus looks fantastic. I saw the leaks. I forgot about it. I haven't seen the Iguanodon. It's probably somewhere in the thread, but I'm not going to look for it.

No, Tanystropheus, I hate the JW version and wish Papo had tried doing a real one. Their Pteranodon is my most hated dino figure of all time. Seems to me like the only good one is the Safari one, and I'm definitely getting the large one from...who is it that is producing one?

CollectA

Quote from: Takama on December 17, 2016, 08:22:02 AM
Ok guys i may be haveing another one of my CRAZ conspiracy theroris again, but I wonder if Iguanodon was planned, but they choose Polacanthus instead?

Since this was just found online, wish we knew where.., it's possible there are more coming including the Iguanodon. The Polacanthus isn't shown in these new pics either.  Not getting my hopes up but it would be really cool if there are three herbivores as well.

Shonisaurus

To start as I said and say a thousand times in the forum I am not an expert in paleontology, I am simply a collector of extinct animals and prehistoric animals. My views on prehistoric dinosaurs and mammals are as follows:

Regardless of how it has already been commented that one thing is the figure and another the prototype, and that the marketable figure can vary commented the following,

The Papo smilodon looks horrible means a remarkable setback compared to their previous figure, it's a shame that they make present-day feline figures as beautiful and realistic as the lion and the tiger and have done with all my respects this "creature so horrible" to People who want to save money do not recommend buying that crap.

The cave bear is an improvement over ursus spelaeus of the other brand Schleich but that does not mean that it is a great figure, it seems simply a grizzyl bear, it is not precisely a dark figure for the toy mammal market as usual Make the company Collecta.

The summary I give about Papo mammals. Collecta is the leader in the toy mammals market far away from other companies and obviously with respect to Papo its superiority is total both arithmetically and geometrically.

On the other hand the dimorphodon of Papo (it is a horror) seems taken out of a film of unruly terror and with a posture that I do not like at all it only surpasses the dimorphodon of Schleich including Rebor is superior with difference.

The acrocanthosaurus (as I say I do not understand of paleontology) seems to me its best figure well detailed and its correct colors. The pose does not bother me and I think it is advisable to buy it, it is an improvement in relation to the rest of theropods of its own factory.

Another thing is the papatos ceratosaurus does not mean an improvement in the toy market. Even a pirate toy company overcomes that mediocrity. Its colors are reminiscent and its modeling is childish.

And as far as the cryolophosurus of Papo is a ungainly and unreal figure that will be a figure to place it with another of the same characteristics as the baryonyx. I had trouble discovering that he was a cryolophosaurus.

The polacanthus on the other hand is a rather poor and infantile figure who forms a good team with the ceratosaurus of the same factory Papo.

In short it has been a lost year for Papo, the positive thing is that its figures are very detailed. The negative thing said and that its figures as always will have weak jaws articulated and difficult to stabilize leaving them with open jaws. I'm afraid that Papo's dimorphodon jaws are not as stable as Rebor's.

As a side note I have to say that I am a compulsive collector and that I am going to buy all the figures. But my friend's advice I give forum members that at best only buy the acrocanthosaurus Papo. The rest can wait.

Scientifically its figures except the acrocanthosaurus give much to be desired from my honest opinion.

Victoria's Cantina

I'm very happy with Papo's 2017 lineup. Everything looks detailed and colorful. The only thing I really don't like is that the Acro has very similar coloring to the Rainbow Rexes. That doesn't really make sense to me.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Victoria B on December 17, 2016, 09:17:24 AM
I'm very happy with Papo's 2017 lineup. Everything looks detailed and colorful. The only thing I really don't like is that the Acro has very similar coloring to the Rainbow Rexes. That doesn't really make sense to me.

I guess it sold well so bears repeating..heh  I never bought any of the rainbow rexes ( dislike repaints in general) so at least it will stand out more on the the shelf here.

Rathalosaurus

I really like the Theropods this year. About the inaccuracy issue - do you see humans with an exact human skeleton build like the skeleton we see in classrooms? Do you? No. People are different, have bigger noses, larger arms or hands, etc. than others. If that's the case for people and most animals - why shouldn't it be the case for dinosaurs? I see it like that.
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Rathalosaurus on December 17, 2016, 10:30:37 AM
I really like the Theropods this year. About the inaccuracy issue - do you see humans with an exact human skeleton build like the skeleton we see in classrooms? Do you? No. People are different, have bigger noses, larger arms or hands, etc. than others. If that's the case for people and most animals - why shouldn't it be the case for dinosaurs? I see it like that.

I totally agree with you. I think I exceeded the comments about my opinions about the dinosaurs of Papo that are still ferocious and even unjust and that I transfer to the rest of figures of toy dinosaurs.

They are still toys intended exclusively for children. If you do not want to buy for their scientific inaccuracies there are magnificent realistic figures of resins like Sideshow among other companies (if you obviously have money and space). On the other hand, every living being is imperfect, but in my case, I greatly appreciate that a toy, even if it is only intended for a child (although there are also adult collectors, as in my case) are scientifically accurate.

To apologize to the members of the forum and to Papo, I have to admit that their figures are very detailed until the last millimeter of the figure bordering on hyperrealism although that does not mean that they are scientific.

On the other hand there are many criticisms regarding the acrocanthosaurus but from my humble point of view I do not think bad figure and as far as the colors, Papo stands out to realize its figures with very bright colors, on the other hand the rainbow tyrannosaurus whose two versions Standing on the two legs and tripod (exclusive) I have on my shelves differ in their coloration with respect to the commented acrocanthosarus, the latter has brighter colors, while the rainbow tyrannosaurus is darker.

On the other hand it is thanks to Papo that they have released many figures of dinosaurs and the most important of two prehistoric mammals whose figures are very rare in the toy market.

On the other hand, with respect to my fierce criticisms, I have to retract myself when comparing the real figures with the prototype.

First of all I apologize to the members of the forum with my unfortunate words but I can not be a hypocrite and a liar and I simply say I comment my sincere impressions on the new figures of prehistoric animals of Papo. But I sincerely expected a prehistoric Papo animal compared to the genius of other figures of the same collection as were the dimetrodon, tupuxuara, carnotaurus, pachyrhinosaurus, styracosaurus or juvenile apatosaurus.

First of all, I would like to reiterate my sincere apologies if anyone in the forum has bothered and offended me. Surely my opinion has not been adequate.

Bucklander

What a disappointment! Dragons and monsters! Maybe they will grow on me like the Baryonyx eventually did. But I get the feeling that Papo are rapidly falling from their pedestal. The feathered Velociraptor was the best thing they've done in a while now. So sad. :(

MLMjp

I already saw the pictures last night but I had no time to write my opinions.

First of all, I don't collect mammals so I could care less about the bear and the lion-like Smilodon.

Cryolophosaurus, is probably one of the better ones in terms of colors, sculpt an accuracy, except form that bend in the tail. I get what they are trying with that pose but I like more "horizontal" poses personally. But the fact is that I do not think we need a new Cryo, there´s already pretty good ones like the carnegie (albeit retired) or the Battat. This one is superior in terms of aesthetics, but I don't think I will get it or add it to my list.

Dimorphodon: Like some of you have already said, is a Jurassic World copy, and to think that Papo was moving away from the JP movies. ::) If you liked the movie version, this one is for you, if you like the real animal, this one is not for you. Me personally I don´t think I need a JW dimorphodon in my life for now.

Acrocanthosaurus: The one I was most hyped for. It did not turn out as I expected but at least is not like last year´s Baryonyx which turn out way too different of what I had in mind. It does have a little bit of that "monster vibe", like the Baryonyx, but I think it "works better" here than in the Baryonyx.
I would have prefer a more "standing" pose and yes the colors are similar to the rainbow rex but since I don´t have that figure I don't mind that much. I must say that the Rebor Acro looks better in my opinion, does not have the "monster vibe" and has better colors.(I was hoping that Papo would make it´s Acro similar to Rebor´s ::)) But I don't have an extra organ to sell so I can´t afford it. Despite the issues I still want it, cause I need a big Acro. I hope that in terms of size it will be smaller that the T.rex but bigger that the Allosaurus.

Ceratosaurus: Great in terms of sculpt, in terms of accuracy is probably the best of the bunch, and I actually don´t mind the pose on this one. I must say that I think that the green is a little too vibrant in my opinion. But like I said with the Cryo, we already have plenty of good Ceratosaurs figures, so there´s no need for a Papo version.

These theropods do have a "monster vibe" coming from them, specially the Acro and the Dimorphodon(not surprising given that the last one is a JW copy) which I think is a little bit disappointing. I guess the Baryonyx was the starting point of this new trend with Papo theropods, who knows what we will see in the future.....At least the Ceratosaurus and Cryolophosaurus don't look very "monster-ish".

I must say that generally I am somewhat disappointed since most of the figures are not really needed in my collection and the one that I wanted the most turned out to be different of what I had in mind. Also no sing of that Iguanodon, and given that we already have a decent amount of figures I have my doubts about it coming out. I really wanted that figure alongside the Acro so if it does not come out, then there´s more reasons to be disappointed. :(

Right now the only ones that I want are the Acrocanthosaurus and the Polacanthus.

Dyscrasia

After that Polacanthus which seemed to have divided views, I am actually quite happy with how the upcoming theropods turned out (despite accuracy issues).

And slightly due to the fact that the sculptor is from our country ;), and mainly because Papo figures are readily available at an affordable price here, I am going to get all the new dinosaurs.

With the exception of Tupuxuara (obviously inspired by Sideshow's product), the pterosaurs by Papo so far are atrocious, and with the far superior Rebor version and upcoming Collecta version, the Papo Dimorphodon is an easy pass.

Concavenator

Have any of you guys noticed that the Cryolophosaurus has exactly thesame color scheme as the Sideshow Ceratosaurus?

Dyscrasia

Quote from: Concavenator on December 17, 2016, 12:06:11 PM
Have any of you guys noticed that the Cryolophosaurus has exactly thesame color scheme as the Sideshow Ceratosaurus?

I've noticed it right away as I have a SSC Ceratosaurus statue....

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: