News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

I guess that means that the Velociraptor and Oviraptor repaints are no longer exclusive. I wonder if that pic is an indicator of size.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Sim

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 18, 2016, 12:22:16 AM
I guess that means that the Velociraptor and Oviraptor repaints are no longer exclusive. I wonder if that pic is an indicator of size.

I wonder if Papo is going to make all of its exclusive figures available normally?  If I'm not mistaken the (prehistoric) ones that are left are the purple rearing T. rex and the brown running T. rex?  I'm not interested in having the brown running T. rex, but I would be interested in seeing what would happen if Papo made it available normally.

SpartanSquat

Thanks for sharing Sim!
I see the cassowary oviraptor and rainbow raptor will be next year. These are much better than the previous versions! Might get them!
BTW in Madrid Natural History Museum said me probably these figures will arrive in February!

tanystropheus

Quote from: kreativtek on December 17, 2016, 07:56:46 AM
I am very impressed with Papo's lineup this year but I won't argue about the details of each figure before I see photos of the actual products. We all know how good Papo makes the prototypes look. Remember Baryonyx?

Actually, most folks preferred the retail Baryonx over the Kaijū . The colors are far more vibrant in the final product (although, it resembles a crustacean, color-wise). Even in the above picture (pic #2), the Baryonx snout looks exaggerated, but if you look at the model from other angles, it is nowhere that long.

Papo's final products tend to be better than their promo images, but inferior to their prototypes. However, there are only a few available pics of their prototypes (mostly JP models like the raptor and T-rex).

tanystropheus

Papo's lions and tigers tend to be gorgeous, almost photorealistic. Why didn't Papo simply outsource the Smilodon to the sculptor responsible for their other felines? Papo could have easily made the definitive Smilodon.:

http://www.imgbox.de/users/SKMOLLER/papo/Papolions1.jpg

Also, Papo seems to have forgotten that they've already made a decent Smilodon a few years ago:

https://www.frontlinehobbies.com.au/images/r_545x/Product/96113/p55022.jpg?ts=1356929494

As pretty as the new Oviraptor cassowary repaint looks, Papo should have just made a resculpt.

John

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 18, 2016, 02:57:26 AM
Papo's lions and tigers tend to be gorgeous, almost photorealistic. Why didn't Papo simply outsource the Smilodon to the sculptor responsible for their other felines? Papo could have easily made the definitive Smilodon.:

Also, Papo seems to have forgotten that they've already made a decent Smilodon a few years ago:

https://www.frontlinehobbies.com.au/images/r_545x/Product/96113/p55022.jpg?ts=1356929494

As pretty as the new Oviraptor cassowary repaint looks, Papo should have just made a resculpt.
Here's something to make you pull your hair out:the sculptor of all the extant big cats including the lions you show are sculpted by the same artist who does most of the dinosaurs for Papo. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

oscars_dinos

I personally think this is one of papos best years :) :) Much better than last year id say

Halichoeres

Well, Papo really surprised me! I'm glad to see increased output. This year is an embarrassment of riches from all corners.

Also pleased to see more adventurous color schemes. I'm a fan of purple. In particular, I think the rainbow rex colors look better on the Acro.

The Cryolophosaurus is really pretty, but I don't know if I can handle the pose. I'll probably end up just getting the Acro and Polacanthus. The Ceratosaurus is tempting, but I'm still pretty happy with my WS one. Not really into Cenozoic mammals, but the cave bear is all right (but, I mean, just a bear, really). I do hope the long-rumored Iguanodon eventually makes an appearance.

The best thing I can say about the Dimorphodon is that it's better than their Pteranodon.

Quote from: Sim on December 18, 2016, 12:55:51 AM

I wonder if Papo is going to make all of its exclusive figures available normally?  If I'm not mistaken the (prehistoric) ones that are left are the purple rearing T. rex and the brown running T. rex?  I'm not interested in having the brown running T. rex, but I would be interested in seeing what would happen if Papo made it available normally.

If I were a Papo completist, I would really chafe at having shelled out for the exclusives in boxed sets only to see them released months later as singles. Given what brown running rexes have gone for, I can't even imagine...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 18, 2016, 06:30:28 AM

The Cryolophosaurus is really pretty, but I don't know if I can handle the pose. I'll probably end up just getting the Acro and Polacanthus. The Ceratosaurus is tempting, but I'm still pretty happy with my WS one. Not really into Cenozoic mammals, but the cave bear is all right (but, I mean, just a bear, really). I do hope the long-rumored Iguanodon eventually makes an appearance.

I see it as being like the Carnegie Dilo, I just wish we had two Cryos in a set like that :

CityRaptor

Quote from: Sim on December 18, 2016, 12:55:51 AM

I guess those who brought the Brown Running T.rex for 600 dollars would feel really stupid. But then again, maybe not. Some people pay a lot of money just to get a figure a few months before everyone else instead of waiting for normal retail. If that person is like that, he or she would still not mind.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Brontozaurus

I like the three theropods but I have doubts I'll pick them up. Down here the only option to buy papo figures is online, and unlike the new WS or Collecta figures I'm not so into these that I'm willing to buy based on promo photos, and since I can't look at them in person before I buy, none of them are definite purchases.

The cave bear is fine (and the Polacanthus too I guess) but good god what happened to the Dimorphodon and Smilodon? They're ridiculously awesomebro, and they just look so bad. I don't even get the need for a new Smilodon since the existing Papo model looks pretty alright.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Concavenator

I think that the best one might be the Ceratosaurus,though the color scheme is much to be desired.On that hand,the Cryolophosaurus has a fantastic color scheme (copied from the SC Ceratosaurus) but its pose is lame.

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 18, 2016, 07:58:20 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on December 18, 2016, 06:30:28 AM

I see it as being like the Carnegie Dilo, I just wish we had two Cryos in a set like that :

Those are mine! And yes, I quite agree. It would have been a nice ode to those. They should do a two pack of a same dino, or diorama packs at some point (and for the love of Battat Diplodocus, more herbivorous dinosaurs).

Saurox

Quote from: imnewhere on December 18, 2016, 04:40:22 AM
I personally think this is one of papos best years :) :) Much better than last year id say

Totally agree  ^-^

Shonisaurus

Quote from: RolandEden on December 18, 2016, 02:19:12 AM
Thanks for sharing Sim!
I see the cassowary oviraptor and rainbow raptor will be next year. These are much better than the previous versions! Might get them!
BTW in Madrid Natural History Museum said me probably these figures will arrive in February!

RolandEden, what do you mean? To that in the Store of the Museum of Natural Sciences of Madrid the figures of the velociraptor and feathered oviraptor come in February or rather do all the novelties come from dinosaurs and prehistoric animals Papo 2017 in February?

That is, acrocanthosaurus, ceratosaurus, dimorphodon, cryolophosaurus, polacanthus foxii, ursus spelaeus (cave bear) and smilodon?

As you well know I am another buyer of the Store of the Museum of Natural Sciences of Madrid.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: John on December 18, 2016, 04:10:10 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 18, 2016, 02:57:26 AM

Here's something to make you pull your hair out:the sculptor of all the extant big cats including the lions you show are sculpted by the same artist who does most of the dinosaurs for Papo. :)

For in this case the sculptor is unknown, I like more his figures of felines today than the smilodon done now.

On the other hand I completely agree that their old version was by far much better though still from my point of view as everything in life could have been improved. As far as smilodon Papo 2017 is concerned I do not see it as a pointy figure in regards to prehistoric toy mammals.

I totally agree with Tanystropheus and John.

Killekor

I don't agree with many users about the Smilodon, the unic thing that attract me is his resemblance to the lion.

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Chris Tsik

Can you please give me a link for the site you found them or the site you found the catelogue?

Sim

Lions have manes that start off lighter and then become darker.  The 2017 Papo Smilodon's mane is all one dark colour, which I find makes it look like scraggly human hair.  Since tiger stripes likely function as camouflage, having them just on the last third of the body looks bizarre.  It's also jarring as it looks like someone copied tiger stripes for the Smilodon's colouration but then stopped abruptly.

suspsy

Quote from: Sim on December 18, 2016, 06:30:44 PM
Lions have manes that start off lighter and then become darker.  The 2017 Papo Smilodon's mane is all one dark colour, which I find makes it look like scraggly human hair.  Since tiger stripes likely function as camouflage, having them just on the last third of the body looks bizarre.  It's also jarring as it looks like someone copied tiger stripes for the Smilodon's colouration but then stopped abruptly.

Actually, the stripes are perfectly reasonable. A number of mammals only have stripes on their rear end: okapis and thylacines immediately spring to mind. It's that mane that's the real problem. And the angle of the fangs; they're jutting forward like a rattlesnake's.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: