News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 14, 2017, 04:33:54 AM
Quote from: joossa on February 13, 2017, 01:23:21 AM
Quote from: Dobber on February 12, 2017, 12:44:09 PM
I'm glad Sim pointed it out because I thought I was the only one that thought the head on Acrocanthosaurus looked ridiculously over sized. It just looks silly...like it is a Schiech toy or something.  :-\

Chris

Yup, some of these new Papos are like Schiech and old Papo's progeny. They've lost some of the realism and traded it for cartoony looks. I prefer my Rebor Arco and Certato than the new Papos.

Sincerely you can find many scientific flaws to Papo figures. But to compare them with Schleich seems to me exaggerated. They would like the Schleich dinosaurs to be at the same height as their Papo counterparts. They have no point of comparison.

That is the keratosaurus of Papo I see it very small and very childish and a little paticorto as I have pointed, but from there to compare said figure to put a metaphorical example at the height of Schleich is for me an unreal comparison.

I guess they do not let reveal many photos of the dinosaurs of both Papo and Collecta and those that exist are too dark is due to the fear of commercial piracy and plagiarism related to imitators of dinosaur companies.

These new models are an obvious improvement over previous Papo models. The only way someone would view these models as inferior is if they willfully smear vaseline over their windshield. If you don't like the artistic direction, that is another story altogether, but quality-wise it's quite evident. These are Papo's best theropods to date.

I understand that it makes sense to want to justify REBOR purchases, but even REBOR admired this current crop of Papo theropods. Nothing childish or cartoony (really? ???) about the new Papo dinosaurs from my perspective.

Dobber

The overly large head on Acrocanthosaurus, the color even looks like the Schliech Giganotosaurus, admittedly also Papo's own "Rainbow-Rex"...or the lime green Ceratosaurus (that looks a lot like the Schliech T-Rex) are the main things that make me think of Schliech. I am Personally not a fan of the overly vibrant colors that Schliech uses often and Papo's new Ceratosaurus reminds me a lot of that. Just my opinion, if you disagree that's fine, but I don't think it is an "exaggeration" or "willing smearing Vaseline over my windshield" in fact any time anyone wants to over look the flaws of a figure they are "willingly smearing Vaseline over their wind-shields". No need to make things personal though, I'm allowed to have my opinion and it shouldn't take away from anyone liking the figure if they want to.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

tanystropheus

Quote from: Dobber on February 14, 2017, 12:09:22 PM
The overly large head on Acrocanthosaurus, the color even looks like the Schliech Giganotosaurus, admittedly also Papo's own "Rainbow-Rex"...or the lime green Ceratosaurus (that looks a lot like the Schliech T-Rex) are the main things that make me think of Schliech. I am Personally not a fan of the overly vibrant colors that Schliech uses often and Papo's new Ceratosaurus reminds me a lot of that. Just my opinion, if you disagree that's fine, but I don't think it is an "exaggeration" or "willing smearing Vaseline over my windshield" in fact any time anyone wants to over look the flaws of a figure they are "willingly smearing Vaseline over their wind-shields". No need to make things personal though, I'm allowed to have my opinion and it shouldn't take away from anyone liking the figure if they want to.

Chris

The overly large head, like I said, could be due to the angle. Take a look at all the pics of Papo Baryonyx. In some shots, he has an overly large head, as well. Papo doesn't employ lime green, at least not like WS and Schleich. It is a welcome change. What were you expecting. A red Ceratosaurus? or a Ceratosaurus with a red head? At least, Papo was not predictable.

suspsy

The Papo Baryonyx DOES have an oversized head. Doesn't matter what the angle is.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 14, 2017, 12:47:19 PM
The overly large head, like I said, could be due to the angle. Take a look at all the pics of Papo Baryonyx. In some shots, he has an overly large head, as well. Papo doesn't employ lime green, at least not like WS and Schleich. It is a welcome change. What were you expecting. A red Ceratosaurus? or a Ceratosaurus with a red head?

Maybe a brownish grey, perhaps with a hint of greyish brown.  ;)

Dobber

Chris

The overly large head, like I said, could be due to the angle. Take a look at all the pics of Papo Baryonyx. In some shots, he has an overly large head, as well. Papo doesn't employ lime green, at least not like WS and Schleich. It is a welcome change. What were you expecting. A red Ceratosaurus? or a Ceratosaurus with a red head? At least, Papo was not predictable.

Doesn't matter, I don't care for the color, why does my opinion seem to offend you so much? Any number of combinations would be preferable to ME. Silvanosaurus had good combo ideas. I personally don't care for the Green lizard look.

Chris

Edit: Plus, the picture of the Acro is in direct profile, no odd perspectives so I'm willing to believe it is accurate to the figure, and like Suspy pointed out, the Bary does have a big head. If the head ends up being more proportional then great, at this time I am doubting it.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Dobber on February 14, 2017, 01:57:01 PM

Chris

Doesn't matter, I don't care for the color, why does my opinion seem to offend you so much? Any number of combinations would be preferable to ME. Silvanosaurus had good combo ideas. I personally don't care for the Green lizard look.

Chris

Good point, except that none of your observations contribute to the figure appearing Schleich-like. Lime green is a common color used by WS, Favorite and CollectA and is shared by a large number of reptiles and birds (e.g. parrots). The color scheme is probable. Why not say that the model appears Carnegie or WS like as Safari Ltd employs the lizard green color more than any other company?

P.S

Also, Silvanusaurus was joking. Browns and greys are typical for Papo and seems to attract nothing but criticism from dinosaur toy hobbyists.

Dobber

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 14, 2017, 02:09:00 PM
Quote from: Dobber on February 14, 2017, 01:57:01 PM

Chris

Chris

Good point, except that none of your observations contribute to the figure appearing Schleich-like. Lime green is a common color used by WS, Favorite and CollectA and is shared by a large number of reptiles and birds (e.g. parrots). The color scheme is probable. Why not say that the model appears Carnegie or WS like as Safari Ltd employs the lizard green color more than any other company?

P.S

Also, Silvanusaurus was joking. Browns and greys are typical for Papo and seems to attract nothing but criticism from dinosaur toy hobbyists.

Huh? Oversized head and features, very Schliech like and I say it looks like Schliech because it looks like the Schliech green T-Rex. Right down to the brown bones crests around the eyes. It's not just the color green it could be lemon Yellow, fire-engine red, or any other bright color.

Chris

Dobber

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 12, 2017, 12:48:55 PM
Quote from: Dobber on February 12, 2017, 12:44:09 PM
I'm glad Sim pointed it out because I thought I was the only one that thought the head on Acrocanthosaurus looked ridiculously over sized. It just looks silly...like it is a Schliech toy or something.  :-\

Chris
::shots fired::

Evidently... sheesh...lol

Chris

Derek.McManus

Quote from: Reptilia on February 11, 2017, 01:21:27 AM
Quote from: dragon53 on February 10, 2017, 01:41:03 PM
So is the Papo Giganotosaurus really underway and might be released in 2018---or was it just speculation?

As far as we know it is only speculation, exactly like the Iguanodon.

Quote from: Albertosaurus on February 10, 2017, 05:19:22 PM
The Ceratosaurus is in my opinion the best figure done by Papo so far. It looks fantastic. I just wonder if the paintjob will be that good when they start mass producing them. Probably it will be a good idea to get them as soon as they are available,since the first waves are always the ones with the best paintjob. You just have to look at the latest produced allosaurus...

Agree, I still have to find a decently painted Allosaurus.

Quote from: Derek.McManus on February 10, 2017, 11:08:14 AM
Again more bold type capital letters and exclamation marks really Killekor are you trying to upset people?

Quote from: Albertosaurus on February 10, 2017, 05:19:22 PM
Posting the same thing in every thread...seriously dude...stop it.

Sorry guys, I don't want to sound patronizing but it's not telling him how to behave that you'll serve your purpose. There's already been an OT in another thread because people basically asked Killekor to be banned, I think that is up to moderators to call him out, in case. I honestly don't see what is so irritating for you, he's not having any abusive or trolling behaviour, he's only a bit exuberant and repetitive. Not a big deal anyway, you can easily ignore him. Just my two cents.

The point is that what Killekor is doing is against the rules of the forum with regard to spamming, what is the point of constantly saying things along the lines of I like this I want this I agree with this or resurrecting old threads with inane questions like why has no posted for X amount of time. If one person won't respect the forum rules and gets a pass because they are young and enthusiastic well then the people who want to break the rules by trolling or being abusive have cart blanche to do so.

I like to read people's comments and their opinions and dare I say hope to learn things not read the same inane statements over and over again.

stargatedalek

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 14, 2017, 04:16:46 AM
The REBOR Cerato is way too textured (someone went overboard with the scales, although the fungal effect is kind of cool). It's great concept design, but is more befitting of a dragon (or something to that effect).
This. A flightless, Monster Hunter -esq chameleon dragon.

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 14, 2017, 03:32:45 PM
The REBOR Cerato is way too textured (someone went overboard with the scales, although the fungal effect is kind of cool). It's great concept design, but is more befitting of a dragon (or something to that effect).
Chameleos' new form? ;)
I am the Dinosaur King!

Rathalosaurus

More like a Glavenus without steroids.
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

tanystropheus

hmmm.....maybe REBOR should consider the dragon market (e.g. Mcfarlane, Papo etc.) >:D
They might be quite successful if they branch out a bit...
Imagine the possibilities...LE dragon hatchlings...

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 14, 2017, 10:05:01 PM

hmmm.....maybe REBOR should consider the dragon market (e.g. Mcfarlane, Papo etc.) >:D
They might be quite successful if they branch out a bit...
Imagine the possibilities...LE dragon hatchlings...

I agree, they would be really good at that niche. Plus I collect dragons as well as dinosaurs.
I am the Dinosaur King!

joossa

In my opinion, the proportions (i.e. the new Acro and last year's Baryonyx), in combination with the color choices and applications on some of the recent Papo releases remind me of Schleich dinos. To me, they are now closer to "toys for play" rather than "toys that can be played with, but at the same time can still depict a realism and elegant aesthetic". I feel that bright colors can be used on models, but it's more difficult to pull off in order to achieve the level of realism and organic-ness I like in models. I personally, love the muted colors and earth tones on some of the previous Papo models.

Note how I mention terms like "in my opinion" and "to me". These thoughts are all my opinion and fall under the framework of what I find appealing in dino models. I'm very happy with my Rebor Certosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus (despite their imperfections) and I'm not sold on the new Papo versions, especially the Acrocanthosaurus.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

tanystropheus

You guys are all talking about colors (when making these comparisons to Schleich).

The level of craftsmanship is still characteristically Papo. Well, the Polacanthus is somewhat less detailed, but you guys know what I mean.

Papo has gotten so much criticism over the years for choosing earth tones (grays, greens and browns).

Now that Papo is experimenting with reds, oranges, greens, blues and other hues they are being chided again.

Poor Papo.

Bright colors don't automatically equate to cartoony. Real life parrots are not cartoony.

tanystropheus

Quote from: joossa on February 15, 2017, 03:32:48 AM
I'm very happy with my Rebor Certosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus (despite their imperfections) and I'm not sold on the new Papo versions, especially the Acrocanthosaurus.

Too bad REBOR doesn't seem to agree, at least not according to their Facebook post. They said that they would focus on herbivores in 2017 because of the new wave of Papos.

According to REBOR's post dated December 17, 2016:

Oh God oh man! Oh God oh man! OH GOD OH MAN! Did Christmas just come early this year? Our congratulations to Papo Francerance what a beautiful collection of awesome dinosaurs, have to get them all! By the way seriously what took you so long guys??? If this was December 2013 then we wouldn't need to form the REBOR team at all!
Looks like we have already got enough top notch Therpods next year, it's time for a change in the REBOR house! Triceratops horridus "King Trident", Stegosaurus armatus "Snarl", Styracosaurus albertensis "Meat Grinder", Ankylosaurus magniventris "War Pig", Parasaurolophus walkeri "Centurion" confirmed!

joossa

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 15, 2017, 04:20:33 AM
Quote from: joossa on February 15, 2017, 03:32:48 AM
I'm very happy with my Rebor Certosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus (despite their imperfections) and I'm not sold on the new Papo versions, especially the Acrocanthosaurus.

Too bad REBOR doesn't seem to agree, at least not according to their Facebook post. They said that they would focus on herbivores in 2017 because of the new wave of Papos.

According to REBOR's post dated December 17, 2016:

Oh God oh man! Oh God oh man! OH GOD OH MAN! Did Christmas just come early this year? Our congratulations to Papo Francerance what a beautiful collection of awesome dinosaurs, have to get them all! By the way seriously what took you so long guys??? If this was December 2013 then we wouldn't need to form the REBOR team at all!
Looks like we have already got enough top notch Therpods next year, it's time for a change in the REBOR house! Triceratops horridus "King Trident", Stegosaurus armatus "Snarl", Styracosaurus albertensis "Meat Grinder", Ankylosaurus magniventris "War Pig", Parasaurolophus walkeri "Centurion" confirmed!

I don't care what Rebor thinks about the new Papos. They're not some kind of authoritative force that I follow or kneel to. I follow my own likings and my taste at my own discretion.

I think what you and others don't understand is that you're trying to make the subjective into something objective. Everyone is going to have different opinions and opinions change often and that's okay.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Reptilia

Despite their big announcement in december, as of now we only have a couple more theropods scheduled for the first quarter of 2017. Not that I don't want the jumping JP raptor or the Carnotaurus, but it's about time we get some herbivore tease. I wish that Rebor could organize a little better their releases.

Agree on the fact that Papo gets always criticism, whatever they do. Personally I don't think they are depreciating to Schleich levels, the acro could have been better but still a different class than anything from Schleich. To say that their latest models look cartoony seems a bit unfair to me, but then is quite a subjective idea, for me most of the Wild Safaris look cartoony. To each their own.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: